Eder makes a decent tank because a fighter with the right abilities and talents makes a decent tank regardless of attribute scores.

Would he be a better tank with more CON/PER/RES? Yes, that doesn't mean he's a bad one without it.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I just noticed something;  if you pick up Eder at level 3 he has both the talent Rapid Recovery and the talent Focus: Ruffian.  But you should only get one talent pick at level 2 and none at level 3.  And if rush through the prologue areas to get Eder at level 2 he only has Rapid Recovery.  And you don't get another talent when you level him to 3.  So that Focus:  Ruffian pick, while a bad talent, is not a waste of a pick because its basically free.  It's not replacing a better talent it's just a bonus. 

Guess I shouldn't have rushed to pick him up!

You would normally be able to pick a lvl 3 Fighter ability for him instead of a talent (Rapid Recovery is a lvl 2 talent). Does he have an autopicked lvl 3 ability (Defender, Confident Aim etc.) and the talent, or just the talent?

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

mazeltov:  when you pick Eder up at level 3 he has two talents AND a fighter ability.  He has Defender, Rapid Recovery, and Weapon Focus:  Ruffian.

That's 3 picks at level 3 when you should only get 2.  So it seems like you're actually better off picking up Eder at level 3 than rushing through to get him, assuming you don't mind the Defender pick which you probably shouldn't unless you want him to be a big DPS fighter.  But if you pick him up at 3 you get both Defender and Focus: Ruffian in addition to Rapid Recovery.

He has Defender

Excellent then, thanks. Defender is a strong pick. If he skipped an ability or picked one of the bad ones it might be better to rush.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

He has Defender

Excellent then, thanks. Defender is a strong pick. If he skipped an ability or picked one of the bad ones it might be better to rush.

What are you talking about? It's just Cautious Attack but worse. You must be thinking of how it was back when Engagement was still part of the game.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I just noticed something;  if you pick up Eder at level 3 he has both the talent Rapid Recovery and the talent Focus: Ruffian.  But you should only get one talent pick at level 2 and none at level 3.  And if rush through the prologue areas to get Eder at level 2 he only has Rapid Recovery.  And you don't get another talent when you level him to 3.  So that Focus:  Ruffian pick, while a bad talent, is not a waste of a pick because its basically free.  It's not replacing a better talent it's just a bonus. 

Guess I shouldn't have rushed to pick him up!

I mentioned this earlier in the thread on post #106.  If you get Eder at level 3 he has both Defender and Weapon Focus Ruffian, talents/abilities he does not have if you get him at level 2.

I asked if someone could look into this to see what each Companion gets at each level you recruit them to see if this was intentional or a bug/unintentional.

Defender is a great talent and mandatory for a Tank Fighter.  Weapon Focus Ruffian is essentially the free pick here though, I think.

Edited by HozzM

Come on.  It's also a substantial boost to defences (especially with daughter picks).

It's true, with the daughter picks, Defender is like a worse version of Faith and Conviction and a worse version of Cautious Attack that costs you multiple ability slots.

gkathellar is being sarcastic.  His tagline says "If I'm typing in red I'm being sarcastic".

Well, I was being sarcastic about Engagement not existing. But since Engagement doesn't actually help tanks, I guess it's a moot point.

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

from the patch notes:

Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak.

Could this be the miracle we have been waiting for?

We'll have to wait and see.

The ideal is still something like the level 1 NPCs mod that was available for BGII.

It'd be much more fun building the whole party and still getting the whole companion dialogue experience than having to choose between them.

I don't mind imperfect companions and working around limitations but there's "imperfect" and there's "monkey throwing a dart at random number list".   So I'm okay with leaving the full respec to a mod and just having okay but not perfect companions.

I don't mind imperfect companions and working around limitations but there's "imperfect" and there's "monkey throwing a dart at random number list".   So I'm okay with leaving the full respec to a mod and just having okay but not perfect companions.

I wonder if the ideal isn't more like choosing in conversation what a companion's two primary stats and some of the skills are.  Something like this:

Eder:  Eder grins.  "And that's when we sprung our little surprise."

1:  "You had hidden the mines in the ditches before you retreated."  (Eder: INT as primary stat)

2:  "Your people were just faking being broken and ambushed them as they pursued you"  (Eder: RES as primary stat)

3:  "You noticed that their heavy armor would just bog them down in the heavy terrain" (Eder: DEX or perhaps PER as primary stat)

Etc...  The game would actually give between 15-18 to the primary stats.  This would give you more control than what's happening now, but you still wouldn't be able (and expect yourself to) munchkin your companions without cheating or mods.

• Like 2

Quick check of the companions after patch, Pallegina's negative DR is fixed   and she moved one point from Perception to Resolve, and Sagani has two points from Con moved to Dex.

Don't think anyone else has been changed at first glance, particularly Hiravias and Grieving still got their low int and might scores respectively.

• Like 1

Quick check of the companions after patch, Pallegina's negative DR is fixed   and she moved one point from Perception to Resolve, and Sagani has two points from Con moved to Dex.

Don't think anyone else has been changed at first glance, particularly Hiravias and Grieving still got their low int and might scores respectively.

Strange.  I checked Eder, Kana and Hiravias and saw no changes and assumed there were none.  I expected more than tweaks to just 2 of the 8 companions...

In BG 1 the people you would find to team up with had pretty bad stats also. I always figured it was supposed to be a part of the challenge. Also it tends to mean that the best person in the party is the PC regardless of which role you choose. So is there a chance that the stats are all funny on purpose? 

I wonder if the ideal isn't more like choosing in conversation what a companion's two primary stats and some of the skills are.  Something like this:

Eder:  Eder grins.  "And that's when we sprung our little surprise."

1:  "You had hidden the mines in the ditches before you retreated."  (Eder: INT as primary stat)

2:  "Your people were just faking being broken and ambushed them as they pursued you"  (Eder: RES as primary stat)

3:  "You noticed that their heavy armor would just bog them down in the heavy terrain" (Eder: DEX or perhaps PER as primary stat)

Etc...  The game would actually give between 15-18 to the primary stats.  This would give you more control than what's happening now, but you still wouldn't be able (and expect yourself to) munchkin your companions without cheating or mods.

I think that'd actually be really cool...would be a LOT of effort, but personally I think it'd be cool to see in a game. Maybe not this one though (its too late to change it at this point, I'd say.)

• Like 1

Some folks are saying their Aloth and Eder's stats are diferent on a new playthrough so looks like there's more after all.

Durance too.

They were pretty mild with it though. Aloth lost some Per and gained some Dex but still has a whopping 12 Mig

Eder just got -3 int which went into Per/Res

Durance got a couple points moved from Con into Int, still has 19 Res

Talents don't seem to've changed.

From the look of it none of them are PotD worthy for me, unfortunately.