... if I buy the GOG version, since it is DRM free, is it alright if I let my brother play it as well since he wants to play it before buying it?  I already own it for steam so I might go with a DRM free copy for both me and my brother.  I don't want to do this though if it's going to get us into trouble.

You will not get in trouble for sharing the game. Hell, that's the beauty of DRM free. If he likes it and has morals, I'm sure he will buy it. If he likes and doesn't buy it, there is a special place in hell waiting for pirates like him

9. Can I enjoy my purchases both on my laptop and desktop computer at home?
Yes. We do not limit the number of installations or reinstallations, as long as you install your purchased games on computers in your household. So yeah, if you've got a render-farm in the basement, you might actually break the world record for the number of legal Witcher installations in one household. However, if you think about installing your game on a friend's machine or sharing it with others then please don't do it, okay?The same principle applies to movies - you're free to watch them anywhere you want, with anyone you want, as long as you don't share them with people who haven't purchased them.

This is from the GoG Terms of Service. It won't get you in any trouble sharing it with your brother and if you live in the same household there aren't even any ethical concerns :)

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

Well thankfully

9. Can I enjoy my purchases both on my laptop and desktop computer at home?
Yes. We do not limit the number of installations or reinstallations, as long as you install your purchased games on computers in your household. So yeah, if you've got a render-farm in the basement, you might actually break the world record for the number of legal Witcher installations in one household. However, if you think about installing your game on a friend's machine or sharing it with others then please don't do it, okay?The same principle applies to movies - you're free to watch them anywhere you want, with anyone you want, as long as you don't share them with people who haven't purchased them.

This is from the GoG Terms of Service. It won't get you in any trouble sharing it with your brother and if you live in the same household there aren't even any ethical concerns :)

Well thankfully then we do indeed live in the same house X-D.  Although I wonder though if we didn't would this be a problem...  Well something I can look up another time.