Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HOW DO I MONK?

Monk Strategies Noob Combat Optimization

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

You could probably make a pale elf reflexes monk and use fan of flames to accumulate wounds while deep frying enemies.

• Infares likes this

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

About the viability of fists, I just did some testing. 

Running the game on slow mode, and using a stopwatch to approximate the amount of time it takes to finish 20 attacks.  Numbers are with 10 dexterity and 10 might, using superb weapons and transcendent suffering rank 4.

Fast weapons-           37.3 seconds -- 13-19 damage displayed

Average weapons-     55 seconds    -- 16-23 damage displayed  

Sabers-                      55 seconds    -- 19-28 damage displayed

Fists-                          37.3 seconds -- 18-23 damage displayed  

Accuracy will be equal as long as you are using superb weapons, though keep in mind a fists monk doesn't even need to find a weapon.

Assuming normal hits only and no armor, your dps ranges on slow mode are.

Fast weapons-          260-380 / 37.3 =  6.9 - 10.8           6.9 + 10.8 / 2    = 8.85

Average weapons-    320-460 / 55    =  5.81 - 8.36         5.81 + 8.36 / 2  = 7.085

Sabers-                     380-560 / 55    =  6.9 - 10.18         6.9 + 10.18 / 2  = 8.54       

Fists-                         360-460 / 37.3 =  9.6 - 12.33         9.6 + 12.33 / 2  = 10.96

Note, these attack times are all while dual wielding.  For giggles I decided to do one with the greatsword.

Greatsword-              79.25 seconds --  20-29 displayed damage

Greatsword-              ((400 + 580) / 2 ) / 79.25  =  6.18

There is a lot more stuff to figure out obviously, armor and weapon bonuses, etc.  But assuming I haven't made any big mistakes yet, in exchange for being unable to use additional enchantments, fists do, against unarmored targets...

28% more dps than Sabers

54% more dps than average speed weapons

23% more dps than fast speed weapons

77% more dps than greatswords

In conclusion, while I haven't done all the figuring yet, I think I've done enough to conclude that fists are quite viable.  Also, for anyone wondering, testing speed in a similar fashion, I have confirmed that two weapon style affects the attack speed of a monks fists attacks. 

Edited by Climhazzard, 06 April 2015 - 02:54 PM.

• Olromortul likes this

Kromzor

Kromzor

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Running a tanky monk with fists and stupid amounts of haste.  Dunno why i'd waste investing in weapons.  People keep forgetting that DR can only ever block 80% of the damage, max, which means depending on resist types and weapon types you may end up hitting for the same amount as fists despite having better stats on paper... except you'll be hitting much slower.  Also fists got +1dmg at the top end.  He just machine guns things down with strings of low damage hits that add up to him being my 2nd or 3rd source of damage inspite of the fact that I only gave him 10Might.  He also has good interrupt, which synergies with the rapid fire attacks.  He'd do even more damage if I took the talent that conversts wounds into bonus damage, but knocking things all over the screen is too much fun right now so I do spend those wounds enough that its not worth it.  Maybe on another playthrough, with a different monk. 

Baron Bawookles

Baron Bawookles

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

This guy knows how to monk. Solo monk fighting the end boss.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nAj4kpOVt6E

Edited by Baron Bawookles, 10 April 2015 - 03:02 PM.

taek

taek

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

I am continually confused by people who find it strange or off-putting that POE Monks use weapons.

Chinese Monks, the most famous being Shaolin, were required to master both unarmed and weapon forms.

Japanese Buddhist warrior monks (Sohei), used everything from Naginata to Tetsubo to the Bow and sometimes used the same armor as Samurai.

European fighting monastic orders were the Knights Templar, Knights Hospitaller, and Teutonic Knights and they were fully decked out in heavy armor and weapons.

POE has been more accurate to the term "monk" than most RPG games.

• Infares likes this

sucinum

sucinum

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I made a monk as off tank, since Pallegrina couldn't tank everything (not enough engagement) and my rogue PC wasn't getting enough sneak attacks.

Race: Pale Elf

Attributes (including bonus): 18 Might, 14 Con, 18 Dex, 18 Per, 4 Int, 10 Res

Equipment: Heavy Armor (Coat of Ill Payment: Retaliation), Great Sword (Tidefall: Draining, Wounding), Blood Testament Gloves (2% Bonus Raw Damage from wounds)

Abilities: Swift Strike, Turning Wheel, Flagellant's Path, Enervating Blows, Long Stride

Talents: WF Souldier, Two-Handed Style, Interrupting Blows, Bull's Will, Scion of Flame, Duality of Immortal Presence

I didn't focus too much on wounds and so I'm not sure if I played it "properly". Also I didn't focus on interrupting, but what I had still worked quite nice.

During combat, I engaged whatever went around Pallegrina, closely followed by the rogue, thus enabling sneak attacks. Since a monk is quite sturdy and I had the draining sword, that worked quite nice. Afterwards I used Flagellant's Path to rush to whatever enemy casters/achers were left. Speed was a big factor for this build and my main reason for playing monk. As Pale Elf, this build also works very nice with a wizard, since friendly fire (and ice) barely hurt it.

Evange

Evange

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 198 posts

I made a monk as off tank, since Pallegrina couldn't tank everything (not enough engagement) and my rogue PC wasn't getting enough sneak attacks.

Race: Pale Elf

Attributes (including bonus): 18 Might, 14 Con, 18 Dex, 18 Per, 4 Int, 10 Res

Equipment: Heavy Armor (Coat of Ill Payment: Retaliation), Great Sword (Tidefall: Draining, Wounding), Blood Testament Gloves (2% Bonus Raw Damage from wounds)

Abilities: Swift Strike, Turning Wheel, Flagellant's Path, Enervating Blows, Long Stride

Talents: WF Souldier, Two-Handed Style, Interrupting Blows, Bull's Will, Scion of Flame, Duality of Immortal Presence

I didn't focus too much on wounds and so I'm not sure if I played it "properly". Also I didn't focus on interrupting, but what I had still worked quite nice.

During combat, I engaged whatever went around Pallegrina, closely followed by the rogue, thus enabling sneak attacks. Since a monk is quite sturdy and I had the draining sword, that worked quite nice. Afterwards I used Flagellant's Path to rush to whatever enemy casters/achers were left. Speed was a big factor for this build and my main reason for playing monk. As Pale Elf, this build also works very nice with a wizard, since friendly fire (and ice) barely hurt it.

I'll choose Stunning Blows or Rooting Pain over Long Stride. There are items in the game that boosts move speed.

Bugged Wolf Companion

Bugged Wolf Companion

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts

One question regarding monk fists

i keep reading that two weapon style(2 weapons) improve fists while others writing its two handed weapon style (1 big weapon)

my guess is its 2 weapon style but can anyone confirm this for me?

pmeinel

pmeinel

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
i just died to a pack of wolves on iron man playing as a monkā€¦ suck

The Josip

The Josip

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 77 posts

How to monk? One monk in the team didn't work for me but 6 dps monks in a properly built party is insane. On Hard ironman I'm plowing through enemies, and it's so ridiculous that I mostly don't even bother using any abilities. Just clicking on the enemies is enough since they drop like flies. I decided to spice things up and enter the Raedrick's Courtyard from the inside. While my monks were slaughtering 9 enemies right in front of the gate, several other enemies spotted the battle and rushed to aid their fellow knights. Only at this point I had one monk knocked down because archers shot him, while others were in safe zone. After the battle was over the corpses were all over the floor.

My previous parties used corridor tanking, hit-and-run, and all these tactical approaches took a lot of time. But these monks just sweep through the area in seconds.. I also gave them nice names: Typhoon, Tidal Wave, Tornado, Hurricane, Storm, Cyclone. And they suit the style.

Edited by The Josip, 12 April 2015 - 04:10 AM.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
I am using a monk with a balanced stat profile. Not comitting to tank duty or DPS. He is doing quite well so far. At level six. With help from Kana and Durance, Eder tanking and my hired Wood Elf Ranger most fight have been a breeze. Aloth is for spell support. Is this viable late game? I sure hope this game should be beatable with most build types.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

The Monk is really awesome early game...

Since PotD didn't challenge me enough with a full custom party anymore I started two solo attempts. First one with a cipher didn't go so well, due to lack of accuracy (got to level 4 and sadly didn't go for the figurine by not selling the preorder item.).

Yesterday I did a monk and absolutely teared through the beginning of the game. I got Level 5 before I went to Caed Nua, by doing ALL quests. (Only killed Raedrics Cousin though, but I didn't even try Radric himself.) I had 4k gold on me, when I went to Caed, had 4 scrolls of fan, only burned 3 of them on the second attempt, drinking Eldritch aim and having maxed out might helps...

Maerwald was easy I didn't even pull any enemies to him, just summoned my summon at start of combat, let him attack the summons of Maerwald and went right outside of the room. Summon killed one blight, the other two were at 2 stars endurance, when my monk came into the room. Maerwald spent most of his strong attacks on my summon, so I killed his two remaining blights while only drinking one health potion (I'm Moon godlike...).

Gonna go to Defiance today and try to get the retribution shield, I think the Sanguine armor will not be possible right away.

That means no more wielding of Gauns in offhand though, bye bye high accuracy. :(

sucinum

sucinum

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll choose Stunning Blows or Rooting Pain over Long Stride. There are items in the game that boosts move speed.

Doesn't that stack? Not sure, since the boots stop working all the time... Either way, when I rolled the monk, I had a single item with move speed and didn't know that I'll find plenty in the endgame.

Odd Hermit

Odd Hermit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Running a tanky monk with fists and stupid amounts of haste.  Dunno why i'd waste investing in weapons.  People keep forgetting that DR can only ever block 80% of the damage, max, which means depending on resist types and weapon types you may end up hitting for the same amount as fists despite having better stats on paper... except you'll be hitting much slower.  Also fists got +1dmg at the top end.  He just machine guns things down with strings of low damage hits that add up to him being my 2nd or 3rd source of damage inspite of the fact that I only gave him 10Might.  He also has good interrupt, which synergies with the rapid fire attacks.  He'd do even more damage if I took the talent that conversts wounds into bonus damage, but knocking things all over the screen is too much fun right now so I do spend those wounds enough that its not worth it.  Maybe on another playthrough, with a different monk. 

Because you can't put special enchants or +12 accuracy on fists.

Sorry but weapons are the no brainer choice right now.

• Ineth likes this

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

i keep reading that two weapon style(2 weapons) improve fists while others writing its two handed weapon style (1 big weapon)

It's two weapon style, for fist monks I recommend using two weapon style, peasant weapon focus, and vulnerable attack.

• Infares likes this

Infares

Infares

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts

It's two weapon style, for fist monks I recommend using two weapon style, peasant weapon focus, and vulnerable attack.

I read somewhere that two weapon style doesn't work properly with fists, because you're not actually using weapons. 

Also fists are already stupid fast, even compared to dual wielding, so it's practically like the two weapon style is baked in already just on principle.

Edited by Infares, 12 April 2015 - 11:23 AM.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Oh it works, I tested it.  Basically I just set the game in slow mode then timed how long it took to do 10 attacks, then leveled up and took the trait and did it again.  It definitely works for fists, and it's nice since it cancels out the penalty for using vulnerable attack.  If you really want to be reassured you can just check it yourself the same way.

• Infares likes this

justicar347

justicar347

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have been thinking about a wild orlan monk build. Just max out his perception and resolve. He would have a Deflection that was through the roof. I think it would be about 43 before adding in bonuses for say a shield. Damage would be low, but if anyone hit him, boom, he has the wound for a special.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV
If you wanna get hit, don't max reflection, but CO and take a moon godlike for heal.;)

Casildar

Casildar

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

Because you can't put special enchants or +12 accuracy on fists.

Sorry but weapons are the no brainer choice right now.

Well, you get the accuracy from Transcendent Suffering and you're doing roughly the same damage of an average speed weapon with the attack speed of a fast weapon, which might make up for (or at least get close to) a lash enchant.  But that still leaves you being unable to enchant Slaying, which could still be a pretty big negative for specific fights if you wanted to specifically enchant slaying for them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monk, Strategies, Noob, Combat, Optimization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users