No one seems to address the  102 damage thing. No enemy has dealt anything like that amount of damage to any of my characters ever. I am wondering if possibly you are doing something wrong, or the game is bugging.

Edited by Hatred

No one seems to address the  102 damage thing. No enemy has dealt anything like that amount of damage to any of my characters ever. I am wondering if possibly you are doing something wrong, or the game is bugging.

I had a Druid crit Durance for 177 damage with Stag's Horn once.  I assumed that 102 damage from a Xaurip on a normal hit was hyperbole, but if the OP was serious then you're probably right about some bug being involved.

• Like 1

For the moon godlike it will proc every 25% besides 0% :no:

I think this is much better then the 3 DT you get from fire godlike because even without any Con bonus, Monk got really high health and endurance.

for me at lvl 8 with 15 Con the 75% heals you full the 50% get you close to full as well, not to mention it's a really big AOE and heals every one.

The only time i need a priest heal is when the backline takes damage or every enemy wants a piece of my monk, but even then it works really well because of Rooting Pain.

So fare most of the fights are short so i can even send the monk in first and get alot of wounds and not worry much after, because Monk got sooooo much health that you are properly gonna be resting from other party members fatigue before your healths drop to 0.

what difficulty are you playing tho ?

Does anyone know why they removed the old mechanic of wounds absorbing some damage as a dot so that they can be purged through use of abilities? I thought that was a great mechanic.

probably because they didn't want to give the monk the ability to mitigate more damage than any other class, i mean as it is my monk is tanky as hell, if i could get rid of 20% of incoming damage as well.... having said that i share your disapointment as right now wounds is basically just the opposite of focus rather than being its own unique system

If you equip a weapon in your off hand and leave the main hand empty, you get a massive boost to your accuracy at the expense of only auto-attacking with your offhand weapon, but Torment's Reach does hit with both your fist and your offhand weapon.

Taking Weapon Focus: Peasant and equipping a spear in your offhand gets you a ton of crits.

Edited by Infares

If you equip a weapon in your off hand and leave the main hand empty, you get a massive boost to your accuracy at the expense of only auto-attacking with your offhand weapon, but Torment's Reach does hit with both your fist and your offhand weapon.

true, only worth it if you have a good high hitting one hander.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for striking talents a 2-hander would deal the most damage ? As far as I know, dual wield pretty much doubles attack rate. It's not about swinging two weapons in a single strike (like in NWN...). Striking skills tend to do something like 1.5x full attack damage, so a 2-hander sounds optimal.

Or, if you REALLY care about those ability strikes, perhaps you would go with a single 1-handed weapon for accuracy bonus ?

I have a silly build in my mind.

Here's how you get the best dps value as Monk: Get swift strike + two weapon mastery you'll have an insane attack speed with your fists. Upgrade swift strikes (%10 more damage) get the fire damage(%5) per wound ability. You'll do crazy single target damage. Only use your wounds for activating swift strike and some force of anguish here and there. Forget about Torment's Reach that ability sucks dps wise compared to this build and it wastes your precious wounds to deal aoe damage which you don't need. Taking out single dangerous targets and reducing the enemy party's overall dps is always better. Later on you can switch to weapon instead of fists but fists are a lot stronger for the most part because they both give accuracy and damage and attack really fast.

Edited by tnc

I'm not asking about best DPS, I'm asking about maximizing the damage from single use ability hits. I'm thinking of a RANGED monk with Dangerous Implement talent:

Dangerous Implement (Increases damage done by implements (wands, scepters, rods) by x1.25, but deals 3 Raw damage to self on every attack.)

The idea is to generate wounds from afar, then run up and smack enemy in the face. Long Strides for faster movement sounds nice, but I could use higher damage. "Noble" specialization doesn't have a 2-hander. Mace, Rapier, Scepter, Rod, Dagger. So it sounds like no benefit for me from using dual wield. It's either mace for higher damage or rapier for accuracy.

And there's a really sweet rod in the Endless Paths.

For a good monk build try.

16s-12c-16d-10p-8i-16r  or  16-10-16-10-10-16 for better range on torments reach.

Balanced offensive and defensive stats, enough intelligence that the range on torment's reach isn't gimped.  I don't use swift strikes, I prefer torments reach, force of anguish, and flaggelant's path.  Play a human for best offensive results.

Preferred abilities

Torment's reach-  Monk aoe damage, and you can spam it on single targets for good dps too.

Force of anguish-  Very fun ability to use, strong crowd control you can use to protect yourself or party members.

Flaggelant's path-  Teleport to any mob, great for taking out pesky mages, or getting to team members in danger, I love this one.

Rooting pain-  If you get mobbed, this kills weaker enemies by itself.

Turning wheel-  your auto attack damage goes up as you accumulate wounds

Preferred talents

Weapon focus: Peasant-  Fists actually do great damage, I think sabers have the highest potential for damage with Torments reach though, so I'm going to try Ruffian on my next playthrough.

Lesser wounds-  Essential for monk dps, you really need to be able to spam your abilities.

Two weapon style-  Two weapons for highest full attack damage on torment's reach, it works with fists too, I tested it quite a bit to make sure.

Vulnerable attack-  Most opponents have enough armor to make this worth it.

Duality of mortal presence-  Monk can't be played as glass canon, this talent helps you control incoming damage, turn it off if the mobs are weaker than you.

Superior deflection-  Same as above, except you can't turn it off.

Fast runner-  Entirely optional, I just like running faster to high priority targets.  And the deflection bonus helps a bit when I force engagement attacks to accumulate wounds.

Second skin-  Talent received for doing the crucible knights quest line, it adds +2 to damage resistance, which is helpful since I like to wear enchanted clothes or enchanted berathian priest robes, and the blunting belt.

Tips

-In a 1v1 situation, move to force a disengagement attack if you want to accumulate wounds faster.  

-If you carry multiple sets of armor, you can equip the level of armor that helps you best control your wound accumulation rate and endurance.  You don't usually need to wear heavy armor, but it's good to have the option readily available.

-There is no proper cone display for torment's reach like their is other aoe abilities, but be aware that when properly lined up it can hit several targets.

-Use force of anguish to prevent being overwhelmed by multiple opponents.

This build is an offensive build, so let your tank or tanks engage first, I prefer to run 3 melee when I have a melee dps class so that he or she is less likely to be overwhelmed.  Try to get at least one guy to engage your monk so you can start accumulating wounds, if you are fighting weaker opponents, try to engage more than one.

That's weird but it might work. I just thought of something.. Is it possible to hit your Monk with another one of your characters and generate wound? Coz that might also solve your problem.

"Adventurer" specialization might just work. Two nice 2-hander types to choose from, Wands as an implement. "Noble" has rods and scepters. Yes, there is a wand with a cute spell on critical, but being less limited is nice.

On the other hand, I believe there's a Pollaxe with 1.2 damage against prone and stunned, both of which monks can do!

About the viability of fists, I just did some testing. 

Running the game on slow mode, and using a stopwatch to approximate the amount of time it takes to finish 20 attacks.  Numbers are with 10 dexterity and 10 might, using superb weapons and transcendent suffering rank 4.

Fast weapons-           37.3 seconds -- 13-19 damage displayed

Average weapons-     55 seconds    -- 16-23 damage displayed  

Sabers-                      55 seconds    -- 19-28 damage displayed

Fists-                          37.3 seconds -- 18-23 damage displayed  

Accuracy will be equal as long as you are using superb weapons, though keep in mind a fists monk doesn't even need to find a weapon.

Assuming normal hits only and no armor, your dps ranges on slow mode are.

Fast weapons-          260-380 / 37.3 =  6.9 - 10.8           6.9 + 10.8 / 2    = 8.85

Average weapons-    320-460 / 55    =  5.81 - 8.36         5.81 + 8.36 / 2  = 7.085

Sabers-                     380-560 / 55    =  6.9 - 10.18         6.9 + 10.18 / 2  = 8.54       

Fists-                         360-460 / 37.3 =  9.6 - 12.33         9.6 + 12.33 / 2  = 10.96

Note, these attack times are all while dual wielding.  For giggles I decided to do one with the greatsword.

Greatsword-              79.25 seconds --  20-29 displayed damage

Greatsword-              ((400 + 580) / 2 ) / 79.25  =  6.18

There is a lot more stuff to figure out obviously, armor and weapon bonuses, etc.  But assuming I haven't made any big mistakes yet, in exchange for being unable to use additional enchantments, fists do, against unarmored targets...

28% more dps than Sabers

54% more dps than average speed weapons

23% more dps than fast speed weapons

77% more dps than greatswords

In conclusion, while I haven't done all the figuring yet, I think I've done enough to conclude that fists are quite viable.  Also, for anyone wondering, testing speed in a similar fashion, I have confirmed that two weapon style affects the attack speed of a monks fists attacks. 

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

Running a tanky monk with fists and stupid amounts of haste.  Dunno why i'd waste investing in weapons.  People keep forgetting that DR can only ever block 80% of the damage, max, which means depending on resist types and weapon types you may end up hitting for the same amount as fists despite having better stats on paper... except you'll be hitting much slower.  Also fists got +1dmg at the top end.  He just machine guns things down with strings of low damage hits that add up to him being my 2nd or 3rd source of damage inspite of the fact that I only gave him 10Might.  He also has good interrupt, which synergies with the rapid fire attacks.  He'd do even more damage if I took the talent that conversts wounds into bonus damage, but knocking things all over the screen is too much fun right now so I do spend those wounds enough that its not worth it.  Maybe on another playthrough, with a different monk. 

I am continually confused by people who find it strange or off-putting that POE Monks use weapons.

Chinese Monks, the most famous being Shaolin, were required to master both unarmed and weapon forms.

Japanese Buddhist warrior monks (Sohei), used everything from Naginata to Tetsubo to the Bow and sometimes used the same armor as Samurai.

European fighting monastic orders were the Knights Templar, Knights Hospitaller, and Teutonic Knights and they were fully decked out in heavy armor and weapons.

POE has been more accurate to the term "monk" than most RPG games.

• Like 1

I made a monk as off tank, since Pallegrina couldn't tank everything (not enough engagement) and my rogue PC wasn't getting enough sneak attacks.

Race: Pale Elf

Attributes (including bonus): 18 Might, 14 Con, 18 Dex, 18 Per, 4 Int, 10 Res

Equipment: Heavy Armor (Coat of Ill Payment: Retaliation), Great Sword (Tidefall: Draining, Wounding), Blood Testament Gloves (2% Bonus Raw Damage from wounds)

Abilities: Swift Strike, Turning Wheel, Flagellant's Path, Enervating Blows, Long Stride

Talents: WF Souldier, Two-Handed Style, Interrupting Blows, Bull's Will, Scion of Flame, Duality of Immortal Presence

I didn't focus too much on wounds and so I'm not sure if I played it "properly". Also I didn't focus on interrupting, but what I had still worked quite nice.

During combat, I engaged whatever went around Pallegrina, closely followed by the rogue, thus enabling sneak attacks. Since a monk is quite sturdy and I had the draining sword, that worked quite nice. Afterwards I used Flagellant's Path to rush to whatever enemy casters/achers were left. Speed was a big factor for this build and my main reason for playing monk. As Pale Elf, this build also works very nice with a wizard, since friendly fire (and ice) barely hurt it.

I made a monk as off tank, since Pallegrina couldn't tank everything (not enough engagement) and my rogue PC wasn't getting enough sneak attacks.

Race: Pale Elf

Attributes (including bonus): 18 Might, 14 Con, 18 Dex, 18 Per, 4 Int, 10 Res

Equipment: Heavy Armor (Coat of Ill Payment: Retaliation), Great Sword (Tidefall: Draining, Wounding), Blood Testament Gloves (2% Bonus Raw Damage from wounds)

Abilities: Swift Strike, Turning Wheel, Flagellant's Path, Enervating Blows, Long Stride

Talents: WF Souldier, Two-Handed Style, Interrupting Blows, Bull's Will, Scion of Flame, Duality of Immortal Presence

I didn't focus too much on wounds and so I'm not sure if I played it "properly". Also I didn't focus on interrupting, but what I had still worked quite nice.

During combat, I engaged whatever went around Pallegrina, closely followed by the rogue, thus enabling sneak attacks. Since a monk is quite sturdy and I had the draining sword, that worked quite nice. Afterwards I used Flagellant's Path to rush to whatever enemy casters/achers were left. Speed was a big factor for this build and my main reason for playing monk. As Pale Elf, this build also works very nice with a wizard, since friendly fire (and ice) barely hurt it.

I'll choose Stunning Blows or Rooting Pain over Long Stride. There are items in the game that boosts move speed.

How to monk? One monk in the team didn't work for me but 6 dps monks in a properly built party is insane. On Hard ironman I'm plowing through enemies, and it's so ridiculous that I mostly don't even bother using any abilities. Just clicking on the enemies is enough since they drop like flies. I decided to spice things up and enter the Raedrick's Courtyard from the inside. While my monks were slaughtering 9 enemies right in front of the gate, several other enemies spotted the battle and rushed to aid their fellow knights. Only at this point I had one monk knocked down because archers shot him, while others were in safe zone. After the battle was over the corpses were all over the floor.

My previous parties used corridor tanking, hit-and-run, and all these tactical approaches took a lot of time. But these monks just sweep through the area in seconds.. I also gave them nice names: Typhoon, Tidal Wave, Tornado, Hurricane, Storm, Cyclone. And they suit the style.

Edited by The Josip