Will it run? (Intel HD 3000)

Csilbers

Question

Hello everyone, sorry for yet another will-it-run post:

2011 MacBook, 

Intel Core i5

4GB Memory

Intel HD3000 384MB (I know, I know...)

Anyone have an idea if I'll be able to play Pillars of Eternity, even on low-res? For what it's worth, I was able to make it through Dragon Age: Origins with only minor issues.

22 answers to this question

To report back here I've been having no trouble on my computer which is HD3000, i5 2.4ghz -- haven't even messed with the anti-aliasing yet. Using low graphics settings, but very smooth performance so far (if a bit longer than average load screens). Cheers!

• Like 2

I have the same computer; Late 2011 Macbook Pro, right? While I haven't tried to run the game, I've been looking at these forums for a couple of months, and I'm not optimistic. Having said that, it certainly runs the "expanded edition" infinity engine games, and if you've gotten DA:Origins to run, perhaps there's room to hope?

Sorry to break your hearts guys but no, it doesnt run very well.

I just made a post with my laptop specs with IntelHD 4000 and the game doesnt run very well. I suspect it would be worse for you guys.

You also have a weak CPU...

But I'll soon be able to test this theory when the game finishes installing on my X230 and I'll be able to see how the HD 4000 runs when not paired with an ultra low voltage processor.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Sorry to break your hearts guys but no, it doesnt run very well.

I just made a post with my laptop specs with IntelHD 4000 and the game doesnt run very well. I suspect it would be worse for you guys.

You also have a weak CPU...

But I'll soon be able to test this theory when the game finishes installing on my X230 and I'll be able to see how the HD 4000 runs when not paired with an ultra low voltage processor.

I will be eagerly waiting.

Hey Ebolaids, I noticed you made some changes and got better performance... is your fps up to a more playable level now?

Yes.

Just followed the intructions on the sticky, Ran as administrator and disabled MSAA. The game runes fine now at 37 average fps.

Im happy now. Although i know it could be better.

• Like 1

I will be eagerly waiting.

So, after running around the first area for a few minutes my average FPS was a steady 30-40 without tweaks. Not great but considering that this is an ultrabook and not my main gaming machine, as pitiful and in need of updating as that is it is still much more powerful than this laptop, I'll take it. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

I also downloaded Skyrim for a comparison and at medium settings I'm getting around 60+ FPS, about double what you reported. I suspect that your CPU is the bottleneck here but one thing you could try is seeing if you can permanently set turbo boot (that should increase your 1.7 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz, or something along those lines but I think those were the numbers for your processor off the top of my head, and give you a bump in performance - that should be an BIOS setting and fairly easy to try out). 

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I suspect that your CPU is the bottleneck here but one thing you could try is seeing if you can permanently set turbo boot (that should increase your 1.7 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz, or something along those lines but I think those were the numbers for your processor off the top of my head, and give you a bump in performance - that should be an BIOS setting and fairly easy to try out). 

Keep in mind his CPU has a TDP of around 17W which is also shared by the integrated GPU. Boosting one may lead to more throttling on the other.

Still waiting to hear from anyone specifically regarding the Intel HD 3000 -- if manageable performance is possible with the HD 4000 and a processor comparable to mine (i5 2.4Ghz) I'd be tempted to give it a go....

Still hopeful here as well. I thought I might be able to run it on the PC desktop I bought for my kids last year, but based on the minimum requirements and the posts I've read here, I'm guessing the Macbook is my only real option.

Unless I learn something that convinces me my Macbook won't run it at all, I'll probably buy it next week. To the extent it helps, I'll report back then. If nothing else, I'll be supporting a developer I like and I'll just play the game when I decide to upgrade my computer...

I have a i3-2350M with HD 3000. It doesn't run well. It becomes somewhat playable when I disable MSAA with the console command "msaa 0", but then you have to run the comand whenever a new map loads.

I'm putting the game aside for now until the console commands become persistent over map loadings, but even without MSAA the performance will be unacceptable for many people, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

My specs:

i5-3230M (4 x 2.6 GHz)

intel hd 4000

8 GB ram

linux (arch)

It's running quite well actually, I was a bit surprised even. Small stutters occur, but seem mostly due to loading from the hdd. Couldn't try it with antialiasing though yet, as it's not supported on linux atm.

Thanks Rojay I will be anxiously awaiting your results!

Thought I'd ask a question before I finally dive in: my setup is just below the minimum specifications according to Steam (I have a 2.3 i5 and as noted above, the integrated 384 MB Intel HD Graphics 3000 - minimum is a 2.53 GHz i5 and ATI Radeon HD 6750M or NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M; 4G of RAM in both cases)

So the question: is the graphics card going to be an insurmountable problem, or can I add RAM (I can put 8G in) and see some improvement that way?  

Bought the game via Steam, and have only played about 10 minutes, but it runs just fine. I'm about 2 prescriptions for glasses behind where I should be, so please take this with a grain of salt, but it looks great to me. There's nice detail in the environment and fluid motion on the characters. I've had a grand total of one combat so far (I killed a young wolf) and I expect framerates to slow down when spell-effects start flying, but the game is playable. I haven't even fudged with the graphics settings yet. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by RojayNola

My laptop: Intel HD 3000 (64mb)

Intel core i5-2520M CPU @2.50 GHz

4.0 GB RAM

Win7 pro

Works okay on native resolution (1600x900) with 'msaa 00' set in console to turn off antialising. Gotta do it for every transition which sucks so hopefully that'll be fixed soon. By okay I mean pretty much flawless except for when there are dust particles in the air etc. or sometimes in big fights.

Works flawless on 1024x768 or less but for now the UI doesn't scale and on 800x600 you can't even see the entire chat so it's out of the question. I've been playing on native but I'll probably be switching to 1024x768 for dungeons since bigger engagements and some particular spells can be a bit too demanding.

Edited by Stratosj
  • Like 1

Good news, Csilbers, and pretty much the same for me. I did try turning off anti-aliasing, but it gave a weird rolling effect to the screen, and I didn't really notice a performance difference. I have some slowdowns in fights with a lot of spell effects, but it's entirely playable, and I'm very much enjoying it.