Ranger companion disappeared

dune155

Question

Hi Dune,

This issue has already been reported and we are aware of it. 

As a work around, quiting to the main menu, closing the client and restarting should resolve this issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

I am also incurring this error. Closing out and restarting the game does not fix the issue all the time, or even often. I will randomly get it to work once ever 10-15 restarts. This is making my game completely unplayable as I cannot change zone without the pet there.

Now after trying multiple times to get this to work from restarts I am prompted with a Party Management Window upon loading. 2 Blanks Characters appear, neither will go away.

09319be2cf.png

562441fe6c.png

Edited by Trel

I am having the same issue and I am stuck and cant get out of the area I am in as well.  I find this highly frustrating and actually pisses me off because this was a very known issue in the beta and I personally reported it.  This does not bode well for getting rid of the rep as releasing buggy games.  I am a huge supporter and I find this very disapointing.

I had this bug, too.

What happened: I had just finished that first dungeony type area (can't remember what its called). It's early in the game where there's some kind of fire-rune trap with 25 squares or so that burn you. Anyway, after watching the cut scene outside where one of your companions gets knocked out, it was just me and my bear. I went back inside the dungeon, accidentally died on the runes, and then reloaded. Bear was gone (just blank white square, and bear's circle was still there)... I tried reloading several times, no worky.

Sucks that it happened so early in the game, yet late enough that it's gonna be annoying to re-do all that early-game stuff.

Hi Dune,

This issue has already been reported and we are aware of it. 

As a work around, quiting to the main menu, closing the client and restarting should resolve this issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

This hasn't worked. The first time it happened for me, I loaded a save from a previous area. It fixed it the first time, but now nothing seems to fix it. All of the save files have this same bug, and sometimes even the party members will be just white boxes.. As I said on the post that was started yesterday( http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71874-companion-is-gone-when-i-load-a-saved-game/ ) it seems to be happening with the bear animal companion only. It's also not just when you load a game save or when you die. :(  Hope that helps.

Any update on this? I'm going to have to keep playing because there is no way I'm starting the game over after the amount of hours I've put in. I'm hoping a hotfix will have them appear as usual? I'm fine playing with my party for now (though missing two extra fighters is annoying).

Hi all we are trying to track down more information on this bug. If this happens to you on a fresh game, please stop whatever you are doing and grab your output log. Loading a save from in game will cause this issue to persist. If you get this issue, do not save, close the client and relaunch (after grabbing your output log).

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hello,

This is happening to me, too. With a wolf companion.

I have tried to restart the game but this didn't help.

My autosaved and saved games are both useless now. And I would hate to start a new game, as I was really starting to have things done (stronghold upgrades...).

What should I do now? Wait for a fix? 

Thanks,

M.

I just ran into this myself and I went digging in output_log.txt

-------- LEVEL LOAD COMPLETE --------        Level = AR_0110_Expedition_Hall. 

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

UnloadTime: 51.208755 ms
Checking to instantiate global...

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Checking to instantiate in game global...

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 7 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 35466 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 102321.
Total: 282.019440 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.532833 ms CreateObjectMapping: 8.983988 ms MarkObjects: 84.535263 ms  DeleteObjects: 180.413818 ms)

The asset bundle 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle/cre_wolf_animal_companion.unity3d' can't be loaded because another asset bundle with the same files are already loaded.

(Filename:  Line: 701)

Error trying to load CRE_Wolf_Animal_Companion from C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle/cre_wolf_animal_companion.unity3d

CRE_Wolf_Animal_Companion(Clone)_10 doesn't have an associated prefab. Trying to recreate from known data, this object may not work correctly.

That section of the log looks fairly suspicious. The wolf didn't actually go missing till I left the hall i don't think. It turned into a white circle and now I can't travel anywhere so I'm stuck in Copperlane.

I just had the same issue. It happened to me after dying to a wisp in the dungeon under the hanging tree - my companion disappeared, white circle instead of his portrait. Strangely, I could see the green circle that's usually underneath him at the start of the area, I clicked it and tried to move it, but it then just flew off the bottom of the screen.

I had a save from 5 minutes before, I still have the issue if I load that one - completely unable to change area now as the party isn't all there. Time to restart :(

This happened to me with the Wolf companion while I was in Od Nua. Unfortunately I tried saving and reloading (since that usually fixes this type of bug) before I found this thread and saw the warning against it. If this is fixed in an upcoming patch, will I still need to start a new game, or will the patch fix existing saves?

Hey all,

I have the problem with the pet of my ranger a lovey wolf whose portrait has gone white and doesnt appear even after I checked the integrity of the game cache

so I post my output_log.txt here

Global variables restored

Asset not found at path: Art/Character/Male/Textures/Body/CL/CL08/m_Belt_Wide01_V02

Asset not found at path: Art/Character/Female/Textures/Body/BP/BP02/m_F_Skin_V02

CRE_Wolf_Animal_Companion(Clone)_7_7_7 was assigned CRE_Wolf_Animal_Companion(Clone)_7_7_7 (PartyMemberAI)'s slot! Reassigning.

PROGRAMMER ERROR!! GetDesiredSlot isn't working correctly!CRE_Wolf_Animal_Companion(Clone)_7_7_7 got assigned an in-use slot!

UndefinedAbilityProgressionTable cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 11 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 26251 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 95246.
Total: 612.598022 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.194618 ms CreateObjectMapping: 13.778052 ms MarkObjects: 565.216248 ms  DeleteObjects: 25.601578 ms)

Shroud: Could not find bone defined in "F_HUM_Cape01": Export_Skeleton

Tier1Backer cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

Tier2Backer cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

------- LOAD TO MAIN MENU --------

UnloadTime: 52.119633 ms
Checking to instantiate global...

Shader warmup: 126 shaders 403 combinations 0.043s
Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 10 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 4705 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 89236.
Total: 121.540627 ms (FindLiveObjects: 4.826430 ms CreateObjectMapping: 7.320997 ms MarkObjects: 77.737114 ms  DeleteObjects: 30.972250 ms)

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1788)

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1788)

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 69813 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 14957.
Total: 197.494034 ms (FindLiveObjects: 4.691946 ms CreateObjectMapping: 13.233210 ms MarkObjects: 19.555180 ms  DeleteObjects: 159.350571 ms)

Thanks all

Having the same issue, and it seems to get progressively worse if you try to do it on your own.  For example, I kicked out my custom-made companion, a Ranger with a Wolf, and tried to resolve it by bringing the companion back in, but it just started causing issued with other party members, other saves, etc. etc. etc.  It seems that without a patch to fix the saves themselves, this run through is toast :\

Would be nice if this would get resolved.  I mean, geez, an unplayable game is pretty ridiculous, at best.  Not to mention the fact that we don't even know what we should do about it.  Do we wait for a fix?  Is a fix even possible?  Do we have to start over? (answer to that one should be NO)  If memory serves, I am pretty sure this was also reported during Beta?  How is it that it wasn't fixed then?

Yes, it's nice that a dev came in to say they were aware of the issue, two days ago, but leaving everyone hanging is pretty unprofessional imo.

At least give us some kind of indication as to what needs to happen as far as this bug is concerned..  *sigh*

Don't want to rant and fuss here, but come on.. Get it fixed already.  Bugs are one thing, yes, but a bug that brings play to a grinding halt need to be dealt with NOW, not later.

• Like 3

Hi all we are trying to track down more information on this bug. If this happens to you on a fresh game, please stop whatever you are doing and grab your output log. Loading a save from in game will cause this issue to persist. If you get this issue, do not save, close the client and relaunch (after grabbing your output log).

I have the exaclty same problem and it seems that wolf and bear pets are vulerable to this bug.

Here are some informations:

- the wolf and bear already bugs around in character creation sometimes the tooltip for those two is not displayed

- the "white box"-bug where the pet becomes white and is not targetable anymore also can corrupt other safegames

- it always happens in caed nua when i enter the endless path (for me especially in lvl 3 after the ogre fight)

- and if it happens the safegame can be deleted because obsidian was smart enough to not allow kicking party members elsewhere but in the fortress

its an extremely curcial bug which not only dustrbs gameplay experience but destroys it (safegame becomes useless)

I too am having this bug. I got it while fighting Maerwald in Caed Nua. I am a ranger with a Wolf pet.

Unfortunately, I have no past save games that aren't affected by this bug, and since I can't leave the area without my pet, I can't continue playing. :(

Is there anything I can do to manually patch my saved game?

Thank you for addressing this ASAP. If it's not fixed soon, then I'll sadly have to ask for my money back since I can no longer play the game.

Just chiming in as another victim of this bug. Like others, all my savegames are currently broken and I do not wish to start my current 15 hours over.  I was able to restart the client once and continue playing. I am currently in Caed Nua. I had the bug while in the area, restarted, got my companion back. After leaving to heal up, came back in, fought Maerwald and now the portrait of my wolf is just a white block.

The first time it happened I did notice some lighting glitching out.