Crash when transitioning from starting area.

candyapples

Question

Hey, 

I'm using the GOG version of PoE. When transitioning from the starting area just after the storm occurs the game crashes after the short text event insofar as the loading cursor appears and nothing more happens (you can still move it around on the black screen though). After this point clicking anywhere in the game brings up a message that PoE.exe is non-responsive. I can repeat the issue and can't seem to create a save file when in the starting area (clicking on save does nothing). Is there much I can do other than wait for a patch? Will an error log have been generated for this event and if so where can I find it to post here? I've looked in the PoE folder and can't seem to find anything. 

I'm running:

Windows 8.1 x64

8gb of RAM

AMD FX6300

AMD 5770

Thanks! 

3 answers to this question

im having the same issue but at a different point. transition from Act 2 to Act 2 has that exact same crash...

annoying as hell since essentially i can start all over again as i cant progress any further...for the 2nd time now...first time was with the ranger pet bug...

Hello, I'm having this exact problem as well.

My specs:

Win 8.1

16GB RAM

Intel i7-4790

Nvidia GTX760

Here is the complete log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91408850/output_log.txt

I think the error is below this line:

-------- LEVEL LOAD COMPLETE -------- Level = AR_0703_Ruin_Exterior.

Your error starts much earlier :

Shader warmup: 13 shaders 31 combinations 0.006s
Platform assembly: C:\Games\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Games/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/libc
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Games/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/.\libc
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Games/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/libc
System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.CSharp.CSharpCodeCompiler ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Windows mono path not found: C:\mono\mono\mini\mono.exe

at Mono.CSharp.CSharpCodeCompiler..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider.CreateCompiler () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.GenerateSerializers (System.Xml.Serialization.GenerationBatch batch, System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerParameters cp) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.RunSerializerGeneration (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It is odd because I'm using the Steam version here and there is no Mono redist file.

I've got the VCRedist ones, as well as DirectX, but no sign of Mono.

Note however, my directory structure :

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\mono\

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\mono\1.0\

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\mono\2.0\

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\mono\mconfig\

There is also a file :

<game>\PillarsOfEternity_Data\Mono\etc\mono\mono.dll

Check that you have these files and directory structure.

If not, either the GoG and Steam versions differ in some way or another, or your install derped and you'll want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.