9.0 on IGN congrats!

You know what's dated? The idea of non-Frostbyte-Engine graphics being inherently dated! What now, journalists?!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Is that the expansion to PoE that adds only melee-oriented, defensive fighter-type classes?

6_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Funny thing is I've never seen the 'dated' excuse used on all those amazing 8 bit replica indie games on steam such as Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy etc. What about Minecraft? That game looks attrocious. Or Maple Story? That looks like an anime game for 3 year old infants.

• Like 1

Also that reminds me of similar 'dated' RPGs - Shadowrun Returns, Spider web software games, and many other indie games on steam.

Why are people using 'dated' as an excuse to mark down Pillars of Eternity when it still looks better and much more modern than a lot of other old fashioned indie games?

Yeah, I mean... I wouldn't use "dated" to describe graphics unless the game was clearly going for a certain newness of graphical quality and fell short, and it seriously just looked like it was made back when graphical capabilities were more primitive, rather than intentionally being 8-bit, etc. Like, if it was an 8-bit game, but looked like an Atari game, ya know? *shrug*

It's not a particularly useful word to describe a mere graphical style. Much less to penalize a game for.

I don't know what it is with these journalists, though. I think I read the Escapist review (since I'm bored today, unable to access much else at work), and they said "though the backgrounds don't quite stand up to some of the more picturesque older titles."

Not really sure what they mean by that. Maybe they thought the IE games' environments were just better designed? *Shrug*.

Edited by Lephys

Funny thing is I've never seen the 'dated' excuse used on all those amazing 8 bit replica indie games on steam such as Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy etc. What about Minecraft? That game looks attrocious. Or Maple Story? That looks like an anime game for 3 year old infants.

Minecraft graphics are awesome!

(said a guy in 1988)

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke