9.0 on IGN congrats!

Only someone who never played cRPGs back in the day could accuse PoE's environmental visuals (which are beautiful,) of looking like upscaled versions of graphics from games with a native resolution of 640x480 and a palette of 16-bit color. That's definitely a big "kids these days..." moment.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 4

Wow, they didn't lower the score because there's too much text? I'm impressed.

No, but they lowered the score for its "Dated Art Style."

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Oh noooeeeeesssss it doesn't look like Cryisis!!! Negative points just because lelelelel.

At this point, 14 year olds are likely to say Crysis looks like ****. Sure, it was cutting edge and exploded high-end video cards back when it came out, but it came out almost 7 years ago.

Oh noooeeeeesssss it doesn't look like Cryisis!!! Negative points just because lelelelel.

At this point, 14 year olds are likely to say Crysis looks like ****. Sure, it was cutting edge and exploded high-end video cards back when it came out, but it came out almost 7 years ago.

Yes but crysis has that can it run meme still going for it.

"Dated art style"

FFS. Didn't I say the mainstream press would knock it for its intricately crafted isometric art style? I expect we'll see this idiocy reappear in other reviews from big review sites. Philistines. 

Edited by Sparafucil

All the critics are loving this game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity

It's got a 92 so far on metacritic. Highest of all the current PC games, and the Highest of any Obsidian game ever.

And yes, I'd have to agree. I'm 10 hours in, and it's rather Obvious already that this is the best game Obsidian's ever done.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

IMO this is the exact kind of artstyle and game engine that Obsidian should have stuck too. NWN 1 & 2 would have been many times better if they hadn't had the clunky, buggy early 3D engines they were built on.

Here's for the future, and my hope that Obsidian keep making games with this artstyle and engine.

I agree that the art style is dated. Not sure why we're supposed to see this as some sort of criticism or condemnation or whatever. A Modern art style would have ruined this game.

Edited by Stun

I hate the game.

I hate it because it has taunted me viciously all day as I've worked and been unable to play. So friggen' rude!!

Stuck in traffic on my way home but hope to launch game soon, wherein I fully expect hate to become a love affair. Hopefully my wife won't become jealous.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I agree that the art style is dated. Not sure why we're supposed to see this as some sort of criticism or condemnation or whatever. A Modern art style would have ruined this game.

I just don't know how accurate that word is. That's kinda like calling a 2D game "dated," simply because it isn't 3D. I mean, this is the first game I know of that's had dynamic lighting and such in ultimately-hand-painted 2D environments.

What's in PoE isn't really dated, since it's brand new. *shrug*

I mean, yeah, 2D isometric games have been around longer. But... I dunno. Is a new 2015 car's wheel dated simply because we invented the wheel a lonnnnnng time ago? *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u