Transitioning to Areas - Lock Up, Can't Load Saved Games

kagai

Question

I am having a serious problem. When transitioning from one area to another, the game will lock up with black screen. I close the program, open it back up and I cannot reload any saved games, they also go to a black screen and lock up. I have been able to get it to work before after many attempts, but that doesn't work anymore. I have tried to reload different saved games over 25 times and I still get just a black screen and lock up. I have also tried to start a new game and reload that saved game won't work either.

I am running the Steam version.

Windows 7 64bit

Intel i7 920 2.4ghz

6GB Ram

GTX 660

Thanks for any help in getting this resolved.

20 answers to this question

Sometimes, it also locks up with the loading screen displayed. Eventually, I can load a save, but the timing is so erratic that I can't tell what is the solution. I've changed settings within the game, killed the Steam process tree, logged out of steam and back into it. It's getting really frustrating to be into the game, which is great, but then to have to spend 10-20 minutes reloading until it finally work.

Sometimes, when I go to save my game, while playing, neither the save button nor the F5 (quicksave) button do anything. I click them and nothing happens. I have to close the game out and start attempting to load my last save until it finally works.

There is nothing more frustrating than to play for a while, then try to save your game and realize the save button doesn't work and you have to reload a save from an hour ago. Please fix this soon. I just want to play this game and not worry about not being able to save it.

Been having the same issue as well.  Running the game with Steam in Administrator mode, without the overlay, without cloud syncing, and numerous other 'suggestions' mentioned in another thread did nothing to fix the issue. I've gone into LocalLow to delete the Obsidian folder there as someone suggested, but nothing.  Only thing I can imagine is that there is something intrinsically screwy about the Saved Games folder under Users/%CurrentUser%/ that is acting this way...

Further, to add onto this; I've noticed that while the game SOMETIMES auto-saves, when trying to load them, the file becomes corrupt and basically freezes the game.  When closing the game and returning to it as well, the save files either automatically wipe themselves somehow, or remain corrupt, forcing me to start a new game each and every time I play.

This has made things utterly unplayable past the first zone...and there's only so many times you can go pick berries and kill the ruin's protectors before you wonder what you're doing playing the same 20 minute segment of the game...over and over and over again hoping to somehow beat this obvious bug.

• Like 1

it sounds a bit different from your probelm but i seem to have something similiar.  save files won't work (both loading and saving) and game freezes at the load screens. i thought it was solved by running steam as an Administrator. the game would work for a bit (10-15 mins i think) and then ,again, i can't save or go through the loading screens.

i figured partial workaround that lets me keep playing for few more minutes at least until i need to apply it again.

everytime the game starts, it creates the folder:  \Users\[user Name]\AppData\Local\Temp\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity.

inside it there is a folder named "TempSaveData" and a zip file named "loadedSave".

some time after i start the game the folder would get deleted . after the folder is gone the problem starts with the saves and the loading.

in order to be able to keep playing i just copy an empty "\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity" folder i made outside the temp folder (the files that were there when starting the game aren't needed). that lets me to keep playing without any problems until the folder is deleted again.

the game puts a screenshot.png file in there when i save and deletes it right away.

that what is causing the crashes for me but since for me the game at least works for a while at the start i'm not sure if you are having the same problem.

i hope it helps someone at least.

No custom portraits and I thought my saved game list amount might be causing a problem, but with only one saved game and one autosave game it still happens for me.

Edited by kagai

I've no problem with saves but I do get frequent black screen freezes during area transitions. It used to only happen periodically but not I can't exit Raedric's Hold at all. I can move between different areas inside the Hold but trying to get outdoors via any exit (sewers, ramparts, main entrance) results in a black screen and freeze.

I followed the workaround advice and made my game to run as admin, I also changed Steam to run as admin. This has not fixed the problem. I don't know if this information will help someone knowledgeable in programming come to a solution, but the only thing that seems to fix the problem is time. If I close the game out and wait about 15-20 minutes I can load my saves. Once I reload a save I get anywhere from about 10mins-30mins of game time before the save button breaks and won't work, forcing me to close out the game and wait to reload my save.

Similar issue for me - loading saves seems to be impossible, with zip file corrupt recorded in the logs. Trying to do so from the load dialogue from the main menu just returns you to the main menu, and loading from an existing game does not appear possible either. My old saves load, but I have no way of creating new ones that can load. This is, to say the least frustrating, especially since I am quite far into the game and do not want to restart (if that were even an option).

Note that for me, before this issue arose, the game has been glitching on saving, frequently booting to desktop when the first save is made when the application is first run, but not once a first save is successfully made (which happens if you leave the game for ten minutes or so before saving for the first time).

I have save files, log files etc if someone from the dev team wants them, but I'm a Macbook user, so I know I'll be at the back of the queue. I guess I should have remembered the bad things about KOTOR2 as well as the good...

Similar issue for me - loading saves seems to be impossible, with zip file corrupt recorded in the logs. Trying to do so from the load dialogue from the main menu just returns you to the main menu, and loading from an existing game does not appear possible either. My old saves load, but I have no way of creating new ones that can load. This is, to say the least frustrating, especially since I am quite far into the game and do not want to restart (if that were even an option).

Note that for me, before this issue arose, the game has been glitching on saving, frequently booting to desktop when the first save is made when the application is first run, but not once a first save is successfully made (which happens if you leave the game for ten minutes or so before saving for the first time).

I have save files, log files etc if someone from the dev team wants them, but I'm a Macbook user, so I know I'll be at the back of the queue. I guess I should have remembered the bad things about KOTOR2 as well as the good...

Although, if I delete the folder unity.Obsidian Entertainment.Pillars of Eternity in Application Support, I seem to be able to open the saved game files. Very strange behaviour indeed....