Raedric's Hold game crash

TheLauron

Question

So I've been happily (and sneakily)  exploring Raedric's Hold. Was slowly making my way in the Hold's interior when I went up the Siege Platform exit. Due to my ever-loving danger sense, I saved... about thrice.

So when I saw it's safe, looted the place, and returned back inside... the game crashed. Right now I'm stuck and can't re-enter the castle... which makes me a sad regicide :(

If there is any information I need to give, feel free to ask. I'm just hoping i'm not permanently stuck :p

• Like 10

Hello,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

Please attach output logs, save games, and dxdiags.

We are aware of a crash at Raedric's Hold for 32bit machines but it looks like others are getting the crash and we're having problems reproducing them.  Attaching your save games, output logs (which I see a few people have already attached those) and dxdiags will help the developers get to the bottom of this.

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: \Library\Application Support\Pillars of Eternity\Saved Games

Linux Location: \Home\.local\share\PillarsOfEternity\SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: \Library\Logs\Unity\Player.log

Linux Location: \Home\.config\unity3d\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Linux Location: Search for "system", Click "System Settings", Click "Details", Copy and paste all information

Thanks!

Done. Im on a Win7/ 64. Link to the logs:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4vbh7mQxjDZfkRtT3kwZ2lvTFoxaVdRRENjWnlrMXhGR25xTElmYWprX1ZfODZjWXdHRms&usp=sharing

Edited by TT1

Please, devs, just make the savegame happen before transitioning, not after. This will be a helper in ANY ocasion. 

"oh, the game crash... ok, I will kill some people in other places until some fix appear"

• Like 1

Please, devs, just make the savegame happen before transitioning, not after. This will be a helper in ANY ocasion. 

"oh, the game crash... ok, I will kill some people in other places until some fix appear"

And besides it's more logical.

When you forgot to save and you pass through a door full of enemies you wanna restart before the door, not in the mess.

• Like 1

I am on 64bit Win7 and get the crash (screen goes black forever) when transitioning from the Hold Santuary down to Level 1.  I confirmed that by removing AR_0708_Hold_Int_01.* from the save makes it work again but I won't be using that workaround.

I get the "ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary." error in output_log.txt which I have seen reported before --perhaps the recent submissions also have this same error?

Edited by dblade

I was able to get out of the keep by installing a mod that allowed me to activate Autosave BEFORE the game transitioned.   This then allowed me to exit to the courtyard and continue.  I also reloaded and tried to exit again by the moat, this also worked.   

Not sure if this a legit  but heres the info for the mod - http://rien-ici.com/iemod/

Thanks to the thread, I tried this mod and it also worked for me! I was saved in the chapel area and had previously been unable to exit outside via the Upper Ramparts or Siege Platform but once I used the mod and turned "Autosave Prior to Transition" on, I was able to exit and enter again through both doors without any error. This definitely works!

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015

I was able to get out of the keep by installing a mod that allowed me to activate Autosave BEFORE the game transitioned.   This then allowed me to exit to the courtyard and continue.  I also reloaded and tried to exit again by the moat, this also worked.   

Not sure if this a legit  but heres the info for the mod - http://rien-ici.com/iemod/

Thanks to the thread, I tried this mod and it also worked for me! I was saved in the chapel area and had previously been unable to exit outside via the Upper Ramparts or Siege Platform but once I used the mod and turned "Autosave Prior to Transition" on, I was able to exit and enter again through both doors without any error. This definitely works!

I am having trouble getting that site to load :/

Hello,

We are aware of a crash at Raedric's Hold for 32bit machines but it looks like others are getting the crash and we're having problems reproducing them.  Attaching your save games, output logs (which I see a few people have already attached those) and dxdiags will help the developers get to the bottom of this.

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Mac Location: \Library\Application Support\Pillars of Eternity\Saved Games

Linux Location: \Home\.local\share\PillarsOfEternity\SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: \Library\Logs\Unity\Player.log

Linux Location: \Home\.config\unity3d\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\Player.log

System Specs

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Linux Location: Search for "system", Click "System Settings", Click "Details", Copy and paste all information

Thanks!

Done. Im on a Win7/ 64. Link to the logs:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4vbh7mQxjDZfkRtT3kwZ2lvTFoxaVdRRENjWnlrMXhGR25xTElmYWprX1ZfODZjWXdHRms&usp=sharing

Hi, along with the other users who reported it, I too am having the issue on a win7/64bit machine. Unofrtunately I can't attach my "bugged" savegames yet because I deleted them all and started the game anew, hoping not to incure in the bug any more. Should it still happen, I'll make sure to share a savegame.

In any case, thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

I am having trouble getting that site to load :/

Here's a link to the mod on Nexusmods: Nexusmods link

With a little further testing, I found that trying the route to the Kitchen still caused a crash - perhaps that bug is separate? - but using this mod will enable you to exit the location and get on with the rest of the game. I kept a copy of the .dll file the mod replaced so once I got to a different location, I saved a new save game and then removed the mod files and reinstated the original .dll file and everything seems to be working okay.

tl;dr I would recommend using the mod to leave the hold and then waiting for a patch to fix the area to complete the quest.

• Like 1

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015

I've encountered the same bug as well. However, I managed to fix by finding out which level was causing the problem, and then renaming that file from the savegame. I've the repaired savegame by renaming the file with a suffix .broke.

My savegame, log and dxdiag: 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733138/RaedricsKeep%20crash%20stuff.7z

The problematic file for me was: AR_0709_Raedrics_Hold_Int_02.lvl

After that, all the transitions started working again, although that particular level was naturally reset.

The steps I used to encounter the bug, as far as I can recall:

1) Enter keep through vines

2) sneak around the fortifications, killing bunch of guards and looting stuff

3) enter the "temple area", dress as monks, encounter one high priest and manage to fool him, explore more and get caught to a paladin, start killing some people

4) enter dungeon, explore entire dungeon, let the prisoner go, then meet with animancer and agree with his quest

5) go from dungeon to the kitchen, as instructed by the animancer and try to go up the stairs back to the "temple area"

-> CRASH when trying to go up the stairs from the kitchen (savegame)

I'm running on Win 8.1 x64

I hope this helps and I hope this gets sorted out. And I certainly hope this was an isolated case for the bug and it wont' show up later in the game...

Edited by catmorbid
  • Like 1

Here's a link to the mod on Nexusmods: Nexusmods link

With a little further testing, I found that trying the route to the Kitchen still caused a crash - perhaps that bug is separate? - but using this mod will enable you to exit the location and get on with the rest of the game. I kept a copy of the .dll file the mod replaced so once I got to a different location, I saved a new save game and then removed the mod files and reinstated the original .dll file and everything seems to be working okay.

tl;dr I would recommend using the mod to leave the hold and then waiting for a patch to fix the area to complete the quest.

Yea the plan was to get out, sell off and do something else.   This mod ending up working, but for the transition to lvl 1.  When I tried to go out to the courtyard the game now had the load screen overlay stuck (could hear UI noises when hitting keys) -- anyway creating a new save on lvl 1 then transitioning let me get out to the courtyard.   After making it back to an inn I saved and dumped the mod.

I appreciate the help.

Edited by dblade

I had the same problem as stated by all the others, the interior bug version. As one of you suggested, I sneaked through the courtyard and managed to exit the whole mess (the bug occured when I acquiered the key from the priest, after freeing the prisonner and tried to enter the last level to find Raedric).

Waiting for that hotfix to finish the quest. Running window 8.1 with 64 bits. 

OK I have amended the save file edit to KEEP ALL PROGRESS inside Raedric's keep

1. Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity  and open with a zip or winrar programme

2. Open your quicksave/save file in the keep

3. Scroll down and delete both Raedrics_hold_ext files

4. Exit out of the front door onto courtyard - you cant use the vine as you deleted the grappling hook

Why isn't this in the workarounds sticky? I had one party stuck in RH and two avoiding it like the plague. This worked wonders.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Hello,

Savegames

Output Log

System Specs

Thanks!

Here you go.

I'm on a Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit machine, too.

Save game should crash going up the ladder, or taking the stairs to the Siege Platform.

I'm having a slightly different issue - just read through the first half of the posts here and didn't see anyone mention it. Could be because I'm using a 64-bit machine.

I'm in the Raedric's hold dungeons (all of my saves), and when I try to use an entrance/exit I get...nothing happen. My character walks up to the little circular button with the picture of the door/stairs, and that's it. Can't use any of the exits (I have the rusty key in my stash, but it doesn't seem to open the door in the eastern portion of the map. Deleting Raedric's hold from my saves didn't work, and neither did "AreaTransition AR_0705_Gilded_Vale North 1" (no command AreaTransition accepting 3 parameters exists, apparently), but "iroll20s" followed by "AreaTransition AR_0705_Gilded_Vale 1" *did* work. But now my save is permanently compromised w.r.t. Steam achievements, etc.. Does anyone know a way of un-flagging a save after enabling cheats.

I am having a similar problem. First visit to R's keep I got my rear handed to me so I went exploring for a while and came back leveled, lean and mean. Walked in through the front door and took out everyone in the courtyard. went to open the front door and crashed to black screen. Did a full reboot and tried again. same thing. went up on to the ramparts and in that way and went to the entrance to the chapel. same again. Have tried from quicksave and autosave.

Files are at:

https://app.box.com/s/fh0h42f0ubrnxpg4qz51f6rbmahb0ets

Really enjoying the game. Ho[pe this one can be fixed.

Cheers

I am doing Expert, Path of the Damned and Trial of Iron - which means I only got one savegame. When you enter a new area it usually saves the game. But If I leave the keep will I be stuck at the new zone and be locked in endless crashes? Anyone have any ideas?