Option to lock camera to main character?

I'm LOVING the game so far.  The only thing missing for me is an option to have the camera following the character that's being controlled.  Other than that, I've found this game flawless and tons o'fun.

Great job Obsidian!!!

Edited by netrace
  • Like 9

I am severely disappointed that I cannot find an option to lock the screen to my character. I could have swore it was in the original infinity engine games so why isn't the option available in Pillars of Eternity? The option would give the game a great boost and accessibility and usability.

Hopefully Obsidian is paying attention to the forums.

Yep, came looking to see if there was a setting for the camera somewhere that I missed. All the manual scrolling is very frustrating so I'll have to figure out how to manage it with minimal impact. Strange that this wasn't pointed out in beta (I wanted to avoid spoiling myself on the experience, so didn't take part in the beta).

I registered specifically to comment on this issue.

It is incredibly annoying that I can't lock the camera to the main character or a specific character.

For now I am scrolling with the WASD keys.  I tried using the mouse to scroll the camera, but, it is really annoying.

The biggest issue for me, is that the game looks best when it is at the default level of zoom.  However, that requires you to do quite a bit of work moving the camera around.

PLEASE consider adding the option to lock the camera to a specific character.  Even if the game engine won't allow perfect scrolling w/ the character/camera locked that would still be far superior to what is required now.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for commenting and keeping the post alive.  I'm still playing and have gotten used to using WASD for camera movement, but think it would be so much better if the camera would follow the active character.

Hopefully Obsidian takes note and can make it a future option.

Giving the option is fine as long as they don't make it a mandatory thing. For myself, if I'm traveling over an area that I have already cleared, I will just bring up the map and scroll it to where I want to travel. Exit the map and click the ground, thus telling my party to travel there. Makes traveling much easier.

Giving the option is fine as long as they don't make it a mandatory thing. For myself, if I'm traveling over an area that I have already cleared, I will just bring up the map and scroll it to where I want to travel. Exit the map and click the ground, thus telling my party to travel there. Makes traveling much easier.

It wasn't mandatory in the previous infinity engine games so I doubt Obsidian would make it mandatory if the feature was added. It would be nice to have the option.

I mapped the right mouse button to "pan" so I can easily right click and drag the map view. This is MUCH quicker and easier than moving the mouse to the edge of the screen or using the WASD keys. I recommend trying this out if you're annoyed by the camera behavior.

Having said that, while I have no problem with an option for locking the camera to a PC being added, I just want to emphasize that it should be an option and not default. That kind of behavior would almost assuredly trigger my motion sickness.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased the game and have been playing for a few hours now. The screen-scrolling mechanics are driving me up a wall and really taking away from the otherwise spectacular gameplay. Any updates on this issue? I'm astonished that this wasn't identified and resolved in beta testing.

• 3 months later...

WOW, really? subject ended up on the 17th of May? HAVE anything changed? Dear Obsidian, can you make this happen? You've made such a beautiful game, and by not having an option to follow your party we players miss all this gorgeous hand drawn locations! PLEASE!

WOW, really? subject ended up on the 17th of May? HAVE anything changed? Dear Obsidian, can you make this happen? You've made such a beautiful game, and by not having an option to follow your party we players miss all this gorgeous hand drawn locations! PLEASE!

.. What? How are you missing anything? Just scroll, you lazy git.

I played every infinity game and I never even realised this waa an option!

Ah yes, then there's always the ever popular name calling forum poster.  Put me in the lazy git crowd.  I'd still like an option to lock focus to my controlled character.  For those that aren't lazy gits, they can leave this option unchecked.

Glad to see this post still kicking around.  :)

Name calling? Lazy git? Cmon, don't be soft.

I'm not against the feature at all if it's easy to implement and is completely optional. I just think the poster claiming that it was impossible to appreciate the game and Obs had ruined everything just because this feature is missing is being monumentally daft.

• 1 month later...

I came here and registered just to find this info.  Having now used the feature, I find it frustrating that it keeps reverting back to not following the selected character.  I guess because this is a command to follow the selected character, not an option to always follow the selected character.  

My strong preference would be that it was a toggle that was set, allowing the "camera follow" mode to be on or off.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...