Shuts down computer

pontifex

Question

The game to shut down my computer(oddly, no blue screen or start-up "Improper shutdown" options) after random amounts of time.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.  It's happened at the main screen when I stepped a way for a bit to make dinner.  It's happened during character creation a couple of times.  It's also happened while actively playing.

Anyone having similar issues?

• Like 1

once again , while playing the game, suddenly the fans goes full speed in a half second, and the computer shuts down.... it keeps happening randomly, regarless of  how long im playing the game, or what im doing ingame.

msaa is not a valid cmd prompt command,

i did lower resoltion , graphic settings, i did set my graphic card for less overall quality... all drivers up to date

windows 8.1, 8 Go ram , nvidia gtx 770m , i7 2.4 , asus rog 750 laptop

it would be cool if only we knew , at the very least, are devs working on this issue at all , any progress ???

i love the game , it is really great , but ....

output_log.txt

I haven't had a shut down since did what I said above your post but doesn't mean won't happen again. It has however been 2 days of playing without shutting down so perhaps you can try what I did aka if using Precision then uninstall that one and install Afterburner instead, run a windows update and also uninstall all your audio drivers and refresh your device manager list so it will find them again and reinstall them. My audio installed is RealTek HD Audio and NVidia HD Audio type drivers, it's on-motherboard audio rather than sound card. It's worth a try even if doesn't work, just in case does. I am hoping mine is permanently fixed but that may be wishful thinking.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

yup, after installing msi afterburner, without setting anything but overlay for framerate, ram usage, and gpu heat, seems to me that the fans of my comp are much less in activity right away, and again , i didnt set any frame reduction or anything...

played two hours , seems pretty stable.

So, I'm also having this issue, the game suddently shutdown my pc.

The only thing is... It only happens in the moment that i press Save Game, I press the button and my pc shutdown.

It's not everytime, but it's becoming more often now.

I'm 20 hours in, and never had this kind of problem before, just now.

I'm uploading dxdiag and output_log (tried to upload my last savegames but the file was too big)

Hope someone have an answer to this problem.

Thanks!

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

...It only happens in the moment that i press Save Game, I press the button and my pc shutdown...

Welcome to the forums Dudill,

Your drivers look up to date and the output_log isn't showing any errors. If the problem only happens when saving a game, then that suggests a disk issue - try:

• Checking your disk(s) aren't getting full - in particular the disks used to hold temp files and the User folder;
  • Check your Event log for any errors or unusual messages relating to your disks;
  • Run a Chkdsk to check for any disk errors.
Another possibility is if you have backup software that runs continuously. While this is normally a good thing to use, the PoE save system seems to create (and then delete) several intermediate files - a process which could be interfered with by some backup software. If you are running anything like this, try disabling it temporarily.

Well I have completed the game now and didn't get anymore shut downs after I did what I said in post 51 above. I did have few crashes to desktop though which resulted in a application has stopped responding type popup message window but since I have finished the game now I guess I don't need to worry about it happening anymore.

Bienvenu chez ces forums DraktharZakath,

No errors reported in output_log.txt, graphics drivers look up to date but sound drivers are 2012 vintage - given that you are using an HP notebook, your best chance of finding a later driver would be to check http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

However if the problem always happens after 10 minutes, then it is most likely due to high temperatures - either the graphcs card or the CPU. Try using MSI Afterburner to check graphics card temperatures and CoreTemp (64-bit) (32-bit users can get their version of CoreTemp here) to monitor CPU temperatures. Anything over 80°C should be a cause for concern - if that happens, check your cooling is working OK (clean out airvents and heatsinks of dust, etc) and if that doesn't help, consider under-clocking the CPU/GPU and getting a laptop cooler.

Edited by AstralWanderer

I still have the same issue. After 1.05 patch I loaded the last save before the end-game, travelled back to level 8 of Od Nua and when I went down to level nine, the PC just loaded the level and then turned off (completely, as if I'd pulled the plug) as soon as I started walking forward.

It is rather annoying that I cannot play the extra levels I payed extra to get funded ;-/

Hi, I have the same issue: my cpu overheat.

Here is my config:

• ASRock 970 Extreme3
  • AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
  • AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

I've lowered the framerate to the minimum through game menu, and VSync is on. No result!

Any ideas?

Thanx

I has this happened to me last week during patch 1.04 for some reason. I've finished the game once already with patch 1.03 and never came across this before nor when I'm playing a much more demanding games. I've restarted a new game after the 1.05 update and so far no hard restart yet after 12 hrs +. Windows event log is pretty useless because it doesn't tell me what was the cause of the reboot.

Anyway, there is a way to stop your pc from rebooting so you can check the error log. 

Under (Windows 7), Control Panel\System and Security\System, go to Advance system setting, under Startup and Recovery click on settings, under system failure untick Automatically restart. Good luck.

Hi, I have the same issue: my cpu overheat.

Here is my config:

• ASRock 970 Extreme3
  • AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor
  • AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

I've lowered the framerate to the minimum through game menu, and VSync is on. No result!

Any ideas?

Thanx

I have solved my problem.
As I have read in other forum the shut down could be due to the dust in the pc.
So I monitored cpu and gpu temp and I saw that it was over 100°. First I cleaned the filter of the power supply and the temp went down to 70°(no more shut down), after that I cleaned deeply cpu and video card with compressed air.

Now it reaches only 45° during game.
I hope this could help you
  • Like 1

I also have this problem. It is definitely the game. When I start the game, as soon as I try to move the party it forces my computer to shut down, immediately. No blue screen, no warning. Just boom. I can have my computer on for 5 minutes or 15 minutes or 50 minutes but as soon as I try to play Pillars of Eternity it happens. So, it's not anything but the program. 

I have installed Afterburner and Rivatuner as suggested but it has not made a difference. It is possible I do not have them configured correctly. 

Hey I wanted a retro-experience so buying a game that doesn't work properly is part of that, am I right? But it really sucks. Does the company have a solution to this problem yet?

I have installed Afterburner and Rivatuner as suggested but it has not made a difference. It is possible I do not have them configured correctly.

Rivatuner is very old and very likely wouldn't function properly with your graphics card - remove it.

MSI Afterburner is based on Rivatuner and if you have that installed, you should be able to monitor your GPU temperature (it won't automatically fix things, it's mainly a monitoring/reporting tool, though you can use it to control GPU fans and ensure they speed up when temperature reaches set levels). Check that temperatures do not go (much) above 80°C and use CoreTemp (links given previously) to check CPU temperature also.

If either CPU or GPU temperatures are too high, then you need to check your system's cooling. Heatsinks might just need a clean out to remove dust (in which case, also check that your case has filters on its intake fans to prevent dust buildup in future) or may have come loose and need refixing. Or case airflow itself may be the problem, requiring more fans (or resiting existing ones).

A quick and simple test for this is to remove the side of your computer case and point a desktop fan at the motherboard. If the crashes stop, then overheating is almost certainly the cause.

Rivatuner is very old and very likely wouldn't function properly with your graphics card - remove it.

MSI Afterburner is based on Rivatuner and if you have that installed, you should be able to monitor your GPU temperature (it won't automatically fix things, it's mainly a monitoring/reporting tool, though you can use it to control GPU fans and ensure they speed up when temperature reaches set levels). Check that temperatures do not go (much) above 80°C and use CoreTemp (links given previously) to check CPU temperature also.

If either CPU or GPU temperatures are too high, then you need to check your system's cooling. Heatsinks might just need a clean out to remove dust (in which case, also check that your case has filters on its intake fans to prevent dust buildup in future) or may have come loose and need refixing. Or case airflow itself may be the problem, requiring more fans (or resiting existing ones).

A quick and simple test for this is to remove the side of your computer case and point a desktop fan at the motherboard. If the crashes stop, then overheating is almost certainly the cause.

Well I thought I fixed it, because I got the program to run for about 10 minutes. But in the end it shut the computer down again. This is really frustrating and disappointing.

Here is a list of remedies I have applied

1. downloaded and installed MSI Afterburner. In Settings, under Monitoring I clicked on Framerate and Frametime, and set Maximum limit to 50. Under Video Capture I set Framerate limit to 60 FPS

2. downloaded and installed Rivatuner statistics server. Set framerate limit to 40

3. Purchased and applied a compressed air duster to my computer vents. 

4. Changed system settings (Control Panel>System and Security>System>Advanced system settings>Startup and Recovery) by unclicking automatic restart on failure. 

As a result of these efforts, instead of failing immediately upon my moving the party (they're in Raedric's (sp?) Hold right before the fight with the main guy) it allowed me to get through the fight before shutting down. Unfortunately, I didn't see if the temperature spiked right before shutdown because I thought the problem was solved.

To repeat, this is an extremely disappointing turn of events and has left a sour taste in what was an otherwise highly enjoyable experience up to this point. 

Well I thought I fixed it, because I got the program to run for about 10 minutes. But in the end it shut the computer down again. This is really frustrating and disappointing.

1. downloaded and installed MSI Afterburner. In Settings, under Monitoring I clicked on Framerate and Frametime, and set Maximum limit to 50. Under Video Capture I set Framerate limit to 60 FPS

2. downloaded and installed Rivatuner statistics server. Set framerate limit to 40

4. Changed system settings (Control Panel>System and Security>System>Advanced system settings>Startup and Recovery) by unclicking automatic restart on failure. 

As a result of these efforts, instead of failing immediately upon my moving the party (they're in Raedric's (sp?) Hold right before the fight with the main guy) it allowed me to get through the fight before shutting down. Unfortunately, I didn't see if the temperature spiked right before shutdown because I thought the problem was solved.

To repeat, this is an extremely disappointing turn of events and has left a sour taste in what was an otherwise highly enjoyable experience up to this point. 

System specs:

Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 Ghz

8GB RAM

WIndows 7 Home Premium

Lenovo

Temp while writing message ~50 degrees C

System specs:

Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 Ghz

8GB RAM

WIndows 7 Home Premium

Lenovo

Started up the program again after writing the message. First went to in-game video options and turned the frame rate way down and put graphics to minimum. Still shut the computer down. The thing was, I had CoreTemp visible while playing the game and I don't recall it going above 71 C.  And the computer is not warm. 

I'd like to hear from someone associated with the game, because I basically got to play it for a couple days and now I can't play it anymore, and that makes me feel like I have been cheated.

That's way too high for non-demanding work like web access - 30-40°C would be a typical value.

Configure MSI Afterburner to monitor (and graph) your GPU temperature. It can also display that temperature as an overlay so you can view it while playing a game (you don't need any other software).

Another approach is to stress-test your system using a graphics benchmark like Unigine Heaven - run that in DX9 mode and let it loop for 20-30 minutes. If your system shuts down during this time, then you have a problem with cooling (or possibly hitting your PSU limits).

Cooling has been covered in previous posts. Restricting framerate is not a good option since it won't always work (MSI Afterburner can control fan speeds so you could use it to increase them once temperatures reach a set value - going to 100% at 70°C for example - a better option). The "desktop fan pointed at the open case" test is the simplest way to check this.

If your PSU is the problem (i.e. if you continue seeing shutdowns even with decent cooling) then swapping it for another (higher-capacity/quality) model is the only way to verify it.

Edit: Just reviewed your system specs - that Intel HD3000 graphics chip isn't going to give you a good experience with any recent 3D game (see review here) and doesn't fulfil the minimum specification needed to run Pillars.

Also, if you are using a notebook, cooling is not easy to improve (a "laptop cooler" with its own fan can help in some cases). Best to put Pillars to one side until you get a desktop that fulfils the minimum specification.

Edited by AstralWanderer
  • Like 1

There are a lot of (normally good) advice coming here, but the reality is that this is a software bug in Pillars that need to be addressed. Several of us have the same problem, at different places in the game. I can (still 2 patches later) play all of the game, BUT as soon as I enter level 9 of Od Nua, the computer restarts. Heat is below 50 on all meassurements at the time of restart.

When I can play all of the game (PoE that is) in sessions of more than 8 hours, leave the computer running Crysis demo or stress tests for both CPU and GPU for more than 24 hours with no problems, there is nothing wrong with the hardware. There is a (elusive) bug in there and it does things no software should be able to do.

It is nice helping each one encountering the symptoms with basic hardware error testing to eliminate any hardware problems, but I really would have expected some proper response to what is obvisously a problem with the game.  If nothing else we should be told that since we're few experiencing the bug, and it (probably) is very hard to reproduce and identify (as the situation of the restarts are different) it is low priority.

I feel quite let down that I only get to play 2/3 of the super dungeon I helped finance during the kickstarter, and even more let down bu the fact that the bug seems to be ignored.