Shuts down computer

pontifex

Question

The game to shut down my computer(oddly, no blue screen or start-up "Improper shutdown" options) after random amounts of time.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.  It's happened at the main screen when I stepped a way for a bit to make dinner.  It's happened during character creation a couple of times.  It's also happened while actively playing.

Anyone having similar issues?

• Like 1

Google.... "unity engine games heat up my gpu". I remember reading about 1:1 same kinda problems, when Might & Magic X came out.  

My crappy GeForce GT 520, was at 44°C after about 5 hours of playing the game. Maybe 'cause it's slow and whatever. Or also 'cause it's in the (SLI) 2.0 x1 slot as the primary PCI-E slot isn't working and the game simply can't push it that hard?.  (I alt-tabbed out of the game and checked and its' fan, was running at 69 % speed  - now it's at 63%).

Manually configure your GPU fan to run at whatever needed speed to keep the heat down. I find that running my GtX 760 at 80% fan speed keeps the temp around 40 degrees. I shouldn't need to do this on an old engine like infinity but perhaps there is a coding problem with the game, maybe Obsidian can figure out a way to resolve it.

Manually configure your GPU fan to run at whatever needed speed to keep the heat down. I find that running my GtX 760 at 80% fan speed keeps the temp around 40 degrees. I shouldn't need to do this on an old engine like infinity but perhaps there is a coding problem with the game, maybe Obsidian can figure out a way to resolve it.

I set my fans to max, it still gets over 90c in minutes, system eventually shuts down.

this is likely a specific problem with the engine, and some aspect of how it is coded/used. I did some searching and found other games with the same engine have a small set of users with a similar problem.

My pc hasn't shut down yet, but several times now, for no apparent reason, my fans, both cpu and gpu have gone into overdrive.  System definitely thinks it is overheating.  I have an open case design, plenty of airflow and have never had an overheating problem playing any game.  System hardly breaks a sweat usually, so I'm not sure what is triggering the problem.  When the fans go into overdrive, performance goes down the tubes as well.  Serious lag.  Usually last less than a minute or until I transition...and then everything is back to normal.  It isn't combat or number of enemies triggered.  I've been checking my journal in the middle of nowhere on a completely enemy free map, and the fans will trigger.  So I'm not sure what is going on  yet.

same here,

randomly, like twice in 10 mn or every two days, suddenly the fans go full speed , and 5 mn later the computer shuts down.

im playing on a laptop assus rog i7, 8 go ram, nvidia geforce gtx 770m, 8.1.

the odd thing is that this appeared only after like 20-25 hours of playing. more or less end of act 1 / debut of act 2 , dunno if its related.

I had this issue and blasting it with a can of compressed air and reapplying cooling paste fixed it. So don't be too quick to dismiss heating as an issue. I'm sure some of you may not have heating issues, and I'm sure some of you have. I couldn't even get through character creation. What I do know is that for me it was a CPU heat issue, not a GPU heat issue.

It's not a CPU issue for me, I reapplied paste to it when fitted new HS/Fan and it always runs cool. It seems to be an issue between GPU and game itself. My GPU is a 4GB windforce III GTX 760, on a 4Ghz FX 8350 and 16Gb RAM so this game should not be causing that much stress on the system. On other games it does not generate heat enough to shut down the system even when those other games should be by all accounts vastly more demanding on the GPU. I might try running something like MSI Afterburner or in my case EVGA Precision to limit the framerate which someone mentioned above as possible solution if shuts down again if the forcing of my GPU fans to work overtime is not enough. If it is indeed the game forcing insane FPS then that seems to be a coding issue that needs resolving.

I wonder if something in the coding is forcing certain GPU's to run higher than should be. For the time being forcing my GPU fans to work at 80%+ speed aka like 3000-4500 RPM keeps the GPU at around 40-45 degrees but I should not have to do that with this game, I know the infinity engine is known to cause problems like this in past according to google but seems to be related to coding within certain infinity engine games as the cause rather than all infinity engine games causing it. I am hoping Obsidian can check their coding and use maybe the files some of us have provided here to help solve it, in the meantime I can play it but I have to manually force my GPU to cover the excess heat/usage which stops the shut downs by over cooling the GPU though it still crashes to desktop from time to time with game not responding type windows message popup.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

CPU overclock make my pc reset, with others games have no problems, this happening because the game use a lot of CPU power, more than the others games, that's why the computer reset.

I disable the overclock and problem was gone.

Why this thing happen?

Most time is because people is not aware that some games use more resource than others, lets say i have a power supply that usually playing games is used only the 70%, now play a game that is trying to max out the use of the power supply= reset and instability, that's the result.

Want to know if you system is working fine at max use?

Stress the system with:

OCCT 4.4.1

You will have your answer.

Edited by Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

I also get the same problem. But so far only when entering level 9 of "Od Nua".  My HW-monitor show no sign of temperature problems at all at the time of the crash. This is the only program I've seen that can directly shut off Windows 8.1, so I'm slightly impressed (if a bit annoyed as well)

Requested files are attached in a .zip file

Håkon Gaut

PoE.zip

CPU overclock make my pc reset, with others games have no problems, this happening because the game use a lot of CPU power, more than the others games, that's why the computer reset.

I disable the overclock and problem was gone.

It is not a CPU overheat or OC issue. Not on mine. My CPU is neither OC'd or overheating. In fact my CPU is the coolest component in my system generally and never goes above 45 degrees on the most taxing of games, most of the time it stays around 21-34 degrees and in PoE it never gets very hot either. My HDD's run hotter than my CPU 99% of the time with the HDD's generally at around 40-43 degrees and my CPU is less than that.

I had it happen again yesterday after having a couple days of playing fine despite not only my CPU and GPU temperatures being cool but also I was limiting the framerate to 60 which is another solution someone else suggested a while back, the system shut down while playing and I was keeping an eye on temps shortly before. The CPU was around 35 degrees and the GPU was only around 41-42 degrees before it shut down...after it shuts down and I turn the system back on a weird thing happened in which my CPU fan no longer turns on until reset the system a couple times. I am not sure why that could be but this is the only game out of over 200 games I have on PC (most very much higher requirements then PoE yet all run fine) and not a single one of those other 200+ games shut downs my PC at all. It has to be a coding issue because I would get the same thing happening on other games if was a hardware issue yet no others do this.

I am not the ony one having this issue and plenty of us have supplied Obsidian what they asked for but still no possible solutions or suggestions by them about the issue since page one where they asked for the files from us. Are they still looking into it or have they made any progress on the issue?

Here's a new log file from the latest shut down occurence (you should already have my dxdiag file from previous page of this thread so guessing don't need another copy of that) plus most recent save game from prior to latest shut down.

output_log.txt

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Now it has started crashing every 30 seconds for some reason...attached is the error logs, crash reports etc.

Going to delete the game, reinstall it and hope that fixes the newest problem though doubt will fix the shut downs. Between the system shut downs and now these constant crashes it has become completely unplayable. At least with others like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns or Divinity Original Sin they were playable and never had these sort of problems with those (Original Sin crashed couple times until it got patched but never shut down my system), I hope Tides of Numenera which also backed doesn't have these sort of problems when comes out. ;(

EDIT: Nope, reinstalled and still can't play it. Crashes after few seconds once loaded game and even if start new game still crashes after couple seconds...this game is extremely broken. It is the most I have paid to back a project on KS and yet it is the only one that will not work between the shut downs and constant crashing to desktop. I am going to stop playing it until it is fixed now, it's just wasting my time trying at the moment.

Pillars of Eternity.zip

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Dragoonlordz,

The error reported in your logs is identical to that in the Random crashes... thread, which seemed to be solved with a (sound card) driver update and heatsink cleanup.

It may be worth checking your sound/video drivers also (DirectX diagnostics should give the date of both). I would also suggest trying the Torture Test option of Prime95 - this will serve as a CPU/memory stress test (try to leave it running for a couple of hours if you can) and can help identify issues with these items.

My drivers for audio are most recent ones which even though 2011 there are no newer ones, it is onboard sound not a sound card. It is the same drivers I have been using from the offset and it worked fine since the game came out with no crashes to desktop on those same drivers until now (the shut downs have been happening on and off seemingly at random for past week or so and I checked my GPU and CPU and they seemed fine). So I doubt that's causing it because it would of happened prior to now I think. I really do not think overheating is the issue with shut downs either, like I said I have been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps and they are not very high. I haven't checked my memory but will run diagnostic on that just incase.

Yes I am using EVGA precision application to manage my GPU fans and framerate limiter, I could try MSI Afterburner see if that still has same issues I guess. I'll try disabling sound and run Afterburner instead of EVGA Precision see if that helps.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

Certain versions of that software seem to cause crashes with Eternity and turning that off prevents the crash.

Might this be related to the overlay option it offers? Some other PoE crashes have been linked with Steam's overlay.

My drivers for audio are most recent ones which even though 2011 there are no newer ones, it is onboard sound...

If you have a Realtek chip, then there should be more recent drivers for it - check here.

...I could try MSI Afterburner see if that still has same issues I guess...

MSI Afterburner is very similar to EVGA Precision (both based on RivaTuner) so if one causes problems, it seems quite likely the other will also. If you are using the overlay (to report temperature, framerate, etc onscreen) then try disabling that first.

I ran a windows update, ran a memory test (which came back fine), uninstalled Precision and installed Afterburner plus reinstalled my audio drivers and it seems the crashing to desktop has stopped. I do not know if the shut downs will stop though. I will continue to monitor my CPU and GPU temps but both as have said many times are running perfectly cool and certainly not overheating, will try playing for a long period of time see if shuts down again. I haven't had the crash to desktop or the shut down for over a day now so maybe both are fixed though that might be wishful thinking on the shut down aspect but the things I did above did certainly fix the crash to desktop issue.

Edited by Dragoonlordz