Shuts down computer

pontifex

Question

The game to shut down my computer(oddly, no blue screen or start-up "Improper shutdown" options) after random amounts of time.

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing.  It's happened at the main screen when I stepped a way for a bit to make dinner.  It's happened during character creation a couple of times.  It's also happened while actively playing.

Anyone having similar issues?

• Like 1

Hello,

Could you please attach an output log and saved game after you experience this issue in game? You can do this by playing the game until you see the issue, then copy the files that you find in these locations:

Save Games location:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Output log:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Then post the files here along with your system specs or dxdiag.

This should help us greatly to resolve the issue.

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

It seems I'm having the same issue as another topic poster, as indicated here.

As recommended, I'm uploading my latest save, dxdiag, and output file. Hopefully this helps the programmers resolve the issue. Thank you! I'm enjoying the game so far, and would like to continue without fear of losing progress.

I should note that I do not believe this is a heating issue. My computer shouldn't be having issues with PoE, and I've run other games (some far more intensive) for hours without shutting down. 

(I couldn't use the forum tools to upload documents, so I hope it's alright for me to upload them onto Dropbox here. Please let me know when you get them so I can remove them from my Dropbox)

Thanks for sharing, Musely. I'm going to merge your thread in with the person who had the same problem. Good luck and happy adventuring!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just a small update, but not a happy one. I tried 'repairing' the game in Steam, but it found nothing wrong. Played a little bit, shutdown again. I uninstalled and reinstalled PoE, tried playing for a little bit again and crashed. It's weird though, I didn't have this problem in the beginning of the game. Story-wise, I've just unlocked the Stronghold and obtained the ranger, druid, and cipher companions and was heading towards Defiance Bay. 

I just got a chance to play some more this morning, turned the graphics to low and turned off vsync. I was able to play for about 45mins before I had a more normal CTD instead of the shutdown issue. I'm gonna keep playing and see if that fixed the shutdown issue for me (and no the forum still won't let me upload any crash logs)

Well, I guess it didn't help. I'm still having the shut down issue, I just seem to have gotten more playtime without shutting down. Also not sure if anyone else noticed, but for me it seems to happen most often when I do a quicksave.

I decided to make sure it wasn't precisely my computer, and I realized I hadn't updated my video card drivers for a little bit, so I tried that. PoE runs a bit smoother but it still shut down after a little while: roughly 30-45 minutes of playing. I had a temperature monitor and it ran around 45c the whole time I was playing so I definitely don't think it's a heating issue? 

I have also been hitting this issue just about every time I play, at various intervals..  Just boom, computer completely shuts down with no warning.  Damndest thing I've ever seen from a software program.  I know this is possible from hardware issues, but this only happens when running PoE, and finding others here with this problem tells me that it's not my system.

I ran a full CHKDSK overnight last night to make sure there were no disk issues, and after that completed I still hit this again today.

As instructed above, I'm attaching a zip file with my last savegame before the latest shutdown, the output_log.txt file, and my dxdiag printout.

Hopefully you guys can sleuth this one out!!!

VirtualMaestroPoEShutDown.zip

I have two R9 270X AMD cards. A lot of the time when a PC just shuts off is because of overheating issues, be it the CPU (most of the time), or the graphics card. Are you getting good air flow in the computer and the hardware devices have their fans working properly? No dust on the CPU heatsink? That will cause the CPU to overheat and shut down.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It's NOT a GPU issue like you guys all seem to assume, the game doesnt use the GPU much at all, it's almost entirely CPU bound so i would search there for the problem: CPU overclock, Motherboard,Powersupply and so on.

I know my system, and this is not a hardware issue.  I built the system 3 years ago, and have never overclocked (this is a combo gaming/HTPC rig, so I keep things quiet and cool).  I use way more PSU than I need, and my temps/airflow are good.  Most importantly, I have 3 years of RPGs under my belt on this system, including many demanding 3D titles like Skyrim, Witcher 2, Dragon Age, and tons of others on the big screen at 1920x1080, and ONLY hit this problem when running PoE on my little desk monitor.

I only inquired about possible GPU types because I could see this being a driver issue of some kind.  But if both AMD and Nvidia cards are hitting this, then nevermind.

This definitely is a very strange issue, and I do find it very odd that a simple Windows 7 application could bring down the whole system like this, going further than even a BSOD.  You really don't see that much anymore in modern OSes.

And yet, after seeing this thread and that I'm not alone, I see no other alternative: Something in the PoE application code is causing an instant shutdown at random times for a VERY small sub-portion of the player base.  Very strange....

I have to agree with Virtual Maestro. This is an incredibly specific problem with Pillars of Eternity. I've never had an issue like this before, and I know how my computer tends to handle videogames: moderately well. It's not specific to Windows 7, either -- I'm on Windows 8.1. I'm increasingly curious as to how the others who can't post their files have their computer set up. If you can't upload via the forums, try uploading via Dropbox or Google Drive? 

I know my system, and this is not a hardware issue.  I built the system 3 years ago, and have never overclocked (this is a combo gaming/HTPC rig, so I keep things quiet and cool).  I use way more PSU than I need, and my temps/airflow are good.  Most importantly, I have 3 years of RPGs under my belt on this system, including many demanding 3D titles like Skyrim, Witcher 2, Dragon Age, and tons of others on the big screen at 1920x1080, and ONLY hit this problem when running PoE on my little desk monitor.

I only inquired about possible GPU types because I could see this being a driver issue of some kind.  But if both AMD and Nvidia cards are hitting this, then nevermind.

This definitely is a very strange issue, and I do find it very odd that a simple Windows 7 application could bring down the whole system like this, going further than even a BSOD.  You really don't see that much anymore in modern OSes.

And yet, after seeing this thread and that I'm not alone, I see no other alternative: Something in the PoE application code is causing an instant shutdown at random times for a VERY small sub-portion of the player base.  Very strange....

Win 7+ really shouldn't allow applications to do this without crashing first, in a perfect world this should 100% be related to hardware / driver configuration / overclocking / overheating, all of which can break Win 7+ easily. 

Of course, it's not a perfect world. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Exact same problem here, as noted in another thread as well.

I was advised to look at GPU temperature, and it shot up to 85c almost instantly playing the game, then crept up until the system shut down.

minimum graphics settings, msaa=0, vsync set off, the GPU runs at 100% and overheats in minutes.

NVidia GeForce GTX 570

It's NOT a GPU issue like you guys all seem to assume, the game doesnt use the GPU much at all, it's almost entirely CPU bound so i would search there for the problem: CPU overclock, Motherboard,Powersupply and so on.

Running "Open Hardware Monitor" and watching it while the game runs, GPU Core sits at 99% and temperature shoots up even with fan running max speed. this is the only game I have ever had this issue with.