At what difficulty level are you playing?

Barely played the beta so I like to not have a super hard experience while learning the game...trying Normal first, as I do pretty much in every game. If that seems too easy I'll start over on Hard. I figure I'll be starting over multiple times for learning purposes anyway...

I'm the opposite. I start with hard, and dial it down a bit if it ends up just being too frustrating for my playstyle/capabilities. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Normal + Expert, but I have no idea what Expert actually does. So far it seems to just have turned off tooltips. But then again, all I saw of the game without Expert was 5 minutes to check if the KS bonuses work.

I play for the story, I don't mind standard difficulty. For all I care, there could be no battles at all (gotta love games which let you talk your way out of combat encounters).

Expert mode turns off basically all the little "meta" notification things that you can already turn off individually. Combat tooltip details, Disposition identifiers in dialogues, etc. It's sort of the most immersion-focused setting, for lack of a better word (it toggles off as many of the "Hey, you there, sitting at a computer! This info is directed straight at you!" things as possible).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hard, Expert Mode.  I may do Trial of Iron and/or Path of the Damned in the future, but not for a first playthrough.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
đŸ‡ºđŸ‡¸RFK Jr 2024đŸ‡ºđŸ‡¸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm playing on hard and expert and its just challenging enough.

Seriously though for any proper RPG fan, expert mode is a must even on normal difficulty. Its not hard to grasp the game if you've already played the infinity engine ones.

I put it on the easiest difficulty, because that's what it suggests if you're "new to party RPGs" or,  "you've not played a party RPG for a while".

Since I haven't played party for some time I tried that... and it's way too easy. The only serious peril I was in came from trusting auto-pathing over a series of trigger plates. But, I sorta expected that, it was really more of an experiment in how much I'd have to screw up with traps.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'd like to ask you what difficulty level you think is more fun to play. Normal? Hard?

Thanks in advance.

I played the BB on normal but have switched to hard for the full release. I've got a fair bunch of IE gaming experience and I guess I feel I know the POE system quite well now, so I want to be challended a bit!

And I have: I've had one full party wipeout so far and another very close call. You do have to cautious. I like that and I want that from POE.

I put it on the easiest difficulty, because that's what it suggests if you're "new to party RPGs" or,  "you've not played a party RPG for a while".

Since I haven't played party for some time I tried that... and it's way too easy. The only serious peril I was in came from trusting auto-pathing over a series of trigger plates. But, I sorta expected that, it was really more of an experiment in how much I'd have to screw up with traps.

Hah ... Weakling!

normal with expert on

how i love the absence of the [insert stat] in dialogues. i can pick my lines without distractions

here's a question. during the caravan fight at the prologue, who managed to get the hostage out of that mess unharmed? in my case, for a moment, i thought i had a chance to defuse the situation without a fight, but in the end i just managed to stall for time for the hostage to get clear before the dance started

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Hah ... Weakling!

It is... They really needed to label that one "I've never played a CRPG before." Because otherwise, it's just really easy.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Wow there's a way to save the hostage without having to fight? I managed to bluff them not to kill him, but still had to fight.

i got into a fight too in the end and i think it always ends in a fight no matter what you do, however i got the hostage out of it uninjured, so i never got to the part where i had to choose between moving on and resting while in the ruins

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I always start out on normal or its equivalent for the first game. So I can get a feel for the game before I step it up to hard.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Playing on hard - L2 rogue armed with sabre and dagger with backstab breezed through all of the early fights - took down three bandits without breaking sweat!

Back stabbed one - then sneaked attacked the others to death! All hail the tactical genius that I am! 

Then got ****y and soloed into the bear cave... Mama bear killed me with one swipe...

Up through Hard only changes the encounter composition (how many enemies/enemy placement, etc.), methinks. I think Path of the Damned is the only setting that actually augments the individual foes to be tougher/more ouch-inducing.

Edited by Lephys