At what difficulty level are you playing?

Playing on Hard. So far the "regular" encounters have felt about right -- challenging but not frustrating. I've poked my nose in a few places I probably shouldn't be at this point and had it punched hard though. I figure the best way to go on Hard is to feel your way forward and if the going gets seriously tough try something else and come back later. At least I'm not good enough to beat some of 'em without serious savegame abuse at level 2-3.

In the BB I alternated between Normal and Hard as the difficulty swung between builds.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Normal

EDIT: but I didn't really play the beta hardly at all (as it wasn't very fun to start mid game for me), so I don't know the mechanics of the game yet,will probably play on hard when i do

Edited by Oxford_Guy

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Hard's going fine atm.  Definitely doesn't seem like a tough difficulty for the first few hours, just an "it's possible you could not win every battle" one.

Suggest EVERYONE starts with hard as their first difficulty who has played any Infinity Engine game at all.

• Like 1

The ruined temple is punching me In the face in hard. Mostly because

spawning, teleporting shadows

are eating my cipher and aloth, and partly because my cipher can't hit for beans to get focus back. And the paladin I hired at the inn is utterly useless for anything. Maxed deflection (at least as much as possible at low levels), and he various things still just chew through her like nobody's business, and she can't contribute for squat. Eder's abilities are good, but the paladin is little more use than exploiting a path finding bug.

Speaking of which, when they go after the same enemy, one of them inevitably can't find room, and often suffers disengagement attacks as a result. thanks pathfinding.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is great, but combat needs work, and some of these classes.. Ugh. The paladin just blows chunks, and I do believe the cipher is not for me.

The ruined temple is punching me In the face in hard. Mostly because

spawning, teleporting shadows

are eating my cipher and aloth, and partly because my cipher can't hit for beans to get focus back. And the paladin I hired at the inn is utterly useless for anything. Maxed deflection (at least as much as possible at low levels), and he various things still just chew through her like nobody's business, and she can't contribute for squat. Eder's abilities are good, but the paladin is little more use than exploiting a path finding bug.

Speaking of which, when they go after the same enemy, one of them inevitably can't find room, and often suffers disengagement attacks as a result. thanks pathfinding.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is great, but combat needs work, and some of these classes.. Ugh. The paladin just blows chunks, and I do believe the cipher is not for me.

I just got through that area on hard. It took a bit of time (I had to go back to the inn to rest and get supplies), but I got through it. It felt great too! It's really rewarding. 

Here are some tips:

In the large groups focus on the shades first, they are the ones summoning extra shadows. Once they go down the shadows they spawned will disappear as well. They are also weak to fire. Try using all of your buffs/debuffs for the tougher encounters, especially any cc you might have.

Took some time but I got through it with a priest and the first two companions. The burning hands type spell on Aloth does a ton of damage. Two of them can take out most of the pack.

Hope this helps!

Barely played the beta so I like to not have a super hard experience while learning the game...trying Normal first, as I do pretty much in every game. If that seems too easy I'll start over on Hard. I figure I'll be starting over multiple times for learning purposes anyway...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Normal, I'm drinking, and answering the questions of my players for character creation for a high level Pathfinder game, switching between PoE and my secondary monitor. Distractions and alcohol and not being familiar with the game, I want some leniency my first trip through. >.< 

• Like 1

Not playing yet, but surely Hard + Expert.

I'll be playing 'hard' as well, given that 'normal' these days is yesterday's 'easy', but what exactly does 'Expert' entail?

The best I've been able to gather is that you don't end up with tutorial type tips. Is that all?

Path of the Damned without any extra gimmicks for now (No Ironman and such). I'm a tactical combat junkie and I'm having fun so far micromanaging encounters to maximise damage output and minimise damage income. It's the first break I take since I installed the game about 7 hours ago and so far I'm very satisfied. 

• Like 1

Playing on Hard. Had to turn back from the first dungeon I found since I couldn't handle group of 7 mobs when I only have 3 party members. I bet I'm not supposed to go there yet, got my ass whooped pretty hard. So far the difficulty seems fair, need to get used to all the mechanics so there is that.

Currently stalled in PotD at the end of the intro, in the spider fight. Fatigue is a killer.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Downloading the game right now. I've played all IE games since they came out and just finished my last playthrough of BG2 last week. Should I go on hard or expert ?

Edited by atn