[Bug] Can't pick items from containers

Tixu

Question

Hi,

I've got a strange bug and can't find any topics relevant to it. When I try to access any container (be it a box, a corpse or anything), nothing happens. The cursor does change shape to the hand icon, I hear an opening sound, but nothing happens, no window appears.

This seems like a game breaking bug and I can't guess what's the deal here. Any insight on it ?

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

19 answers to this question

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey,

Can you please attach your save games and output logs?

Save Games location:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Output log:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey,

Can you please attach your save games and output logs?

Save Games location:

Output log:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thanks!

Hello Matt Sheets! 

I have same bug. When I try to pick up something my character went away from the box to the central of the map only then pick up menu open.

Mac OS X 10.10.2

Where I can find my save games and logs on MAC? May I create new theme or here is ok?

Thank you. Great game.

Same issue, Windows 7.

Started happening when I went into the Temple in Guilded Vale.  But, even when I leave the temple I can't open boxes.  Get no dialogue window for containers (tried a container in another house, that still had things in it).

May try and reload a previous game from before going into the Temple to see if that's it;  could just be a coincidence and that's the last thing i did.

... and i went back to a saved game that was 20 minutes older;  rushed through everything and back to where i was, and this time I can still open crates.

So, it isn't specifically going into the Temple in Gilded Vale for the first time that was the cause;  that part was a coincidence. 

I had the same issue in my first game but restarting the game fixed it. I have not seen the issue since and that includes in two other games (normal and hard difficulty and with and without expert mode) that I quickly started just to try to recreate the bug.

• Like 1

Hey,

Can you attach your save games, output logs, and dxdiag/system specs?

Save Games location:

Output log for Steam:

Output log for Linux:

Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log) 

Output log for Mac:

-"Library">"Logs"> "Unity"> Player.log

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hey,

Save Games location:

Output log for Steam:

Output log for Linux:

Output log for Mac:

Thanks!

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and I have this problem as well.  This is my first playthrough and it happens right away that the containers in the camp do no open (icon changes and I hear the sound but no window pops up) and I cannot loot my kills either.  I have the DRM-free version from GOG, not Steam.  I have restarted the game several times and reloaded from my original save file taken immediately after char creation.

I've tried attaching my dxdiag, my savegame, and the output logs but the forums won't let me.  It tells me, in the case of the text files, that the upload fails and gives no reason for this, and for the savegame just simply that I cannot attach files of this type.  I've tried zipping them up together, and attaching independently, but nothing works.  Maybe I just haven't posted enough to this forum, so I'll link to dropbox for you if that is allowed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt43qogsyo49rrm/poe_logs.zip?dl=0

Edited by vulchor

Hi,

Sorry, wasn't able to go back to the forums before now. I don't have my save game anymore cause I restarted the game, which fixed the bug, and wrote over my previous save files.

I'll make sure to upload them if I encounter this again.

Anyway, for info, I have the GOG version of the game and was a kickstarter backer so got the kickstarter addons installed.

I run the game on a win7 Asus gamer laptop from 4-5 years back.

• Like 1

I've experienced this bug, too. One workaround is to quick save the game, exit to the main menu and then re-load the last save.

It happened after I changed the language in Settings, I don't know if that might be related.

• Like 1

Same problem for me. It started in Gilded Vale (even before the temple), I thought that there were just some bugged containers so I kept playing.

Later on when in the temple, I could not open any container.

In my case, reloading the current savegame didn't work, but reloading a previous savegame did work.

However, on that previous savegame I had already experienced the bug...

• Like 1

Awesome,

Thanks for the information guys, haven't seen this issue on our end, but I'm throwing your saves/output.log to the programmers see if they can figure something out. We will be working to get a fix for this in an upcoming patch.

Keep up the good work citizens

Awesome,

Thanks for the information guys, haven't seen this issue on our end, but I'm throwing your saves/output.log to the programmers see if they can figure something out. We will be working to get a fix for this in an upcoming patch.

Keep up the good work citizens

Restarting was not helpful for me at all.  However, I still had the backer beta installed when I installed my GOG copy.  I ended up uninstalling both the backer beta and the GOG version and then reinstalled the GOG version and all is well.  This also cleared up a few other oddities like some options were missing (that I was not aware even existed since they were not int he backer beta).  All is working since my reinstall.  I hope I don't encounter this bug again, since it was gamebreaking and in reality I lost a couple of good solid game playing days to try to get this working.

Hey,

Save Games location:

Output log for Steam:

Output log for Linux:

Output log for Mac:

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzrvqgNKDH9dfklVODlXWWJZdmFBZjdmWG1Ta2pucjJCVlBZVTFSNEkxVzVEa3hYWndMSXc&usp=sharing

My saves (new game didn't affect to this bug) and other info in this folder