Ok, so I admit I just started playing. I rolled a Fighter and I'm going sword/board and playing on Hard. I just got to Valewood and fought the three bandits that held the dwarf cook prisoner. That fight probably took over a minute. My character could barely hit the broad side of a barn. Half his hits were grazes. The enemy almost healed faster than I could do damage. The fact that I can't stack Accuracy seems incredibly broken. The only possible way I can increase it is by going 1H and dropping the shield, which incidently is an incredibly stupid mechanic. The game says that medium shields decrease accuracy by 4 but that's an outright lie; it decreases accuracy by 16 all things considered. To me it seems like going 1H is by far the best strategy as you'll crit a lot more which will make up for the lack of base damage vs dual wielding or 2H. There really needs to be a way to stack Accuracy IMO.

Forget about getting the class talent, the +10 Accuracy you gain from Weapon Focus is really gold. Its great for 1H fighter (more crits, fewer grazes), but i think it is essential for sword and board, since the game's to-hit chance seems to be balanced for normal Acc or better. Sword and Board really starts to shine later imo, when shields have less acc-loss and you also have the Sword and Shield talent for even more deflection. But Weapon Focus first!

Are you sure your character wasn't Fatigued? That can carry a rather hefty accuracy penalty. (Up to -20, I believe?) Check the icons next to your character portrait.

Weapon Focus gives +6, not +10 accuracy.

And yeah, a medium shield has a -4 accuracy penalty. That's no lie, just a little unintuitive, because you're missing out on the +12 accuracy from wielding a single one-handed weapon. Compared to dual-wielding or two-handed weapons, it's just -4.

• Like 3

There's an accuracy bonus for wielding a one-handed weapon alone (without a shield, and without an off-hand weapon)?  I guess there had to be some kind of perk to doing so, or there would be no real reason to skip out on the defense (shield) or damage (dual-wield) of choosing one of the other options, apart from role-playing reasons.

Ok, so I admit I just started playing. I rolled a Fighter and I'm going sword/board and playing on Hard. I just got to Valewood and fought the three bandits that held the dwarf cook prisoner. That fight probably took over a minute. My character could barely hit the broad side of a barn. Half his hits were grazes. The enemy almost healed faster than I could do damage. The fact that I can't stack Accuracy seems incredibly broken. The only possible way I can increase it is by going 1H and dropping the shield, which incidently is an incredibly stupid mechanic. The game says that medium shields decrease accuracy by 4 but that's an outright lie; it decreases accuracy by 16 all things considered. To me it seems like going 1H is by far the best strategy as you'll crit a lot more which will make up for the lack of base damage vs dual wielding or 2H. There really needs to be a way to stack Accuracy IMO.

Accuracy is a problem, especially at the beginning.  Venture a bit further on into the first 'dungeon', and you're at -20 to hit against a fair amount of enemies, almost as if they weren't rebuilt when accuracy was taken out of attributes.   The problem does seem to fade a little as you get decent gear and start to level up, but it helps to be aware that early on, there are fights you just can't win.  At least not without a lot of luck and a lot of reloads.

But no, single weapon is a terrible idea.  Slow and minimal damage. 

Edited by Voss

Use a light shield instead, make sure you aren't fatigued, and crank your Dex and Might in order to hit hard and counter your armor penalty to attack speed. Thereby decreasing your Accuracy penalty, increasing attack speed and damage, for an overall striking boost. 

Thats what the wiki says. Reference is a forum post by sawyer. Would not be surprised if thats not currently implemented or just broken.

Apparently (and this is just from what I've read), it was formerly related to either Dex or Perception but that was changed in a late-in-development build.

Kinda sucks, I like hitting things :p  

• Like 1

Thats what the wiki says. Reference is a forum post by sawyer. Would not be surprised if thats not currently implemented or just broken.

Apparently (and this is just from what I've read), it was formerly related to either Dex or Perception but that was changed in a late-in-development build.

Kinda sucks, I like hitting things :p

Yeah i take your word on that. I guess it will take a couple more weeks for the wiki to be accurate.

Like others have said, spells, abilities, talents. Back in early beta... I think it was perhaps Perception that gave a stat bonus to To-Hit and even that little bit made it the single most valuable stat to stack for anything but a dedicated healer. It's too sensitive to allow stacking in a non-predictable way and on attributes bonuses their value becomes far too high. Additionally, things like fatigue and blindness would cease to matter.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I think it's worth considering the ramifications of having accuracy dependant on increasable modifiers. I remember playing DA:O (though there isn't the crazy stat increases in this game), and all challenge was basically worthless because of the crazy combos you can pull.

I'm playing on PoD difficulty, and I think that the value of the priest and chanter cannot be understated. I think 1 Priest, 1 chanter, and 1 DPS mage is a must in every party.

I think it's worth considering the ramifications of having accuracy dependant on increasable modifiers. I remember playing DA:O (though there isn't the crazy stat increases in this game), and all challenge was basically worthless because of the crazy combos you can pull.

I'm playing on PoD difficulty, and I think that the value of the priest and chanter cannot be understated. I think 1 Priest, 1 chanter, and 1 DPS mage is a must in every party.

would you care to elaborate on what chanters have that makes them invaluable?  Right now I'm only playing on hard and my comp is currently a pal tank, a fighter tank, a druid, wizard, ranger and cipher.  Druid runs around with a staff, rest are ranged.  I'm assuming I'll have to drop someone for a priest sooner or later but I'm wrecking stuff so far.  I know chanters summon but so do druids and chanters have aoe buffs but so do paladins but I've only ever played with the companion chanter up to about lvl 5 on my other save so I'm not real sure why I need one that bad.  My pal is such a hefty tank that I guess I could make a chanter be my offtank instead of the fighter for more aoe goodness but I sorta want to know first since that save is almost broke from making people already

A great way to get almost permanent +5 accuracy on your whole party is to get the accuracy talent on priest's holy radiance. The reason its almost permanent is that you can cast it outside the combat(weird i know!) and cast it again in the combat since it's 1 per encounter.

A great way to get almost permanent +5 accuracy on your whole party is to get the accuracy talent on priest's holy radiance. The reason its almost permanent is that you can cast it outside the combat(weird i know!) and cast it again in the combat since it's 1 per encounter.

You can actually cast it multiple times before combat and they stack for some reason.  

With enough int, you can start the fight with like 20sec+ of 25+ accuracy for the whole party. 

• Like 1

You can actually cast it multiple times before combat and they stack for some reason.  

With enough int, you can start the fight with like 20sec+ of 25+ accuracy for the whole party.

didnt know about that thats probably a glitch.

Omg that will totally break the game most fights last 15-20 sec anyway !