Sound issue, strange clipping noise

Orphidos

Question

Hello!

It started about a minute after I picked the berries at the bush right after leaving the caravans.

It's like a continous clipping noise of sorts, like imagine turning a page in the old Baldurs gate spellbook but cut out the last millisecond of that sound, then put it on repeat. It only goes away if I exit the game to main menu and after loading my save, It's gone for about a few minutes and then suddenly comes back.

I've tried exiting the game completly, restarting it. Reinstalled sound-drivers, also tried older drivers same issue.

Win 7 Ultimate, Motherboard x58 Pro-E onboard soundchip w/ drivers used.

I'm running the Steam version.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this sound issue and possibly found a fix?

Or has any ideas, any whatsoever is good. Feels like I've tried most things I can think of.

(here's my updates of things related)

Update 1:  The sound-repeat glitch actually disappeared briefly now when opening, looting and closing a chest just to return a few minutes later completly random.

Update 2: The sound-repeat glitch also seem to disappear when new things to me occur which forces up the tutorial window and auto-pauses the game.

Thanks in advance and congratulations to the team for a great game so far (except that sound thingie hehe).

Best regards,

Fredrik

Edited by Orphidos

24 answers to this question

Probably would help if i posted what my specs are and i would suggest to everyone with similar problem to do so as well. I am using on board sound on a ASUS P8P67 motherboard and i believe it uses Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC . I am also running Windows 8.1 fully updated on a R9 290 Tri-X AMD GPU with the latest AMD drivers. If there is any other info that is need pleases let us know.

Same issue here. If I reload a save that had the issue without exiting the game completely, the sound glitch is still there. Running onboard sound on Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard with Core i7 920 processor, GTX560Ti, and game's installed on an OCZ SSD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. My video drivers are not up to date, so I'll do that, although I doubt it has anything to do with the sound glitch.

Here are my specs:

HD500GB Samsung SP SATA2* 7200RPM Spinpoint 

CPU Core i5 2500K

PSU Corsair TX 650W V2 /80+ Bronze

Windows®7 Home Swe 64-bit Single OEI, SP1

MK Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 Socket 1155, P67, ATX

Corsair 8GB (KIT) DDR3 1333MHz/CL9/1.5V

MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming

If you need anything more than those, let me know and I'll do my best to provide them.

Edited by Ercarret

I don't know if this helps identify where the problem lies, but I played around with the sound options when it came back. It's not a music or voice problem, but when I turned down the Effects slider it disappeared. 

I saw this on Incgamers:

"I’ve not had this one myself, but by the sounds of things it’s some kind of audio glitch relating to the tutorial hint pop-ups that you get in the game’s first area. If you keep hearing journal page noises where they shouldn’t be playing, try this.

Go to the ‘Game’ section of the options menu, find ‘Show In-Game Tutorials,’ and toggle that off. Going by what other people have said, this should fix the problem.

Of course this means you won’t get any more tutorial pop-up hints, but it’s mostly stuff like “hey, did you know there’s a Scouting Mode that lets you sneak” and similar things. You can hopefully get by without them. It’s better than listening to endless journal page turning noises, anyway."

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like the problem we're having. 

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-journal-sound-bug-fix

Haha, I see we all found the same solution at roughly the same time. :) 

I've only played for perhaps 15 minutes after turning off the hints, but yeah, it seems to be working. Good thing I've played the old Infinity Engine games and am familiar with most of the hints being offered.

But at least it's a solution.

• Like 1

hmmm. I disabled the tips and I still hear it. Sounds like those flying skulls from ocarina of time, so annoying.

Have you tried quitting and loading the last save since you disabled the hints? 

Also: I think there are different tooltips (combats and general) that you can disable. "Show in-game tutorials" is the one I disabled, and since then I haven't had any problems.

Hope it helps!