Companion is gone when I load a saved game

rcgamer

Question

When I load a saved game my companion bear is no longer there.  He was there when I saved. A green x is where he should be when the save loads but then it moves off across the screen .  When I double click the icon spot where his symbol should be it takes me to a random point on the map as if that's where my companion is.  

• Like 1

I have a similar problem. I reached Gilded Vale and was running around town when I noticed my bear is missing and the icon for it is completely white. I noticed only after going into the building with the guy who lost his friend in the cave with the giant bear. I tried seeing if I could fix this by loading a saved game, but now it shows 2 blank companions that I can't do anything with. Now I can't go into any building or leave town because it says I need to gather my party. 

• Like 4

This bug happened earlier, and reloading a previous save in another area seemed to fix it. Now I'm stuck completely as I had no save from a previous area and all saves seem to be corrupted now. The bug is severe and game-stopping since you can't leave an area without your companion.

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey,

Can you please attach your save games and output logs?

Save Games location:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Output log:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thanks!

I attempted to do so and received the following errors uploading.

• output_log.txt

Upload Skipped (This file was too big to upload)

• f3508225-2f3b-4f14-9596-115732984744 autosave.savegame

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

It's not letting me upload them.

output_log.rar

69abcf3d46e04a0cbec69e0eb883a2c7 8085347 TempleofEothas.rar

Hey,

Save Games location:

Output log:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Thanks!

I got the game through GoG so the path was different but I found the output_log.txt file and zipped it up to get around the upload size restrictions.  I was only able to attach two of my four save games before hitting the overall size limit, but they all have the same problem described.  Let me know if you need the other two -- I can probably attach them in a separate post.

output_log.zip

saves1.zip

Have this same exact bug...pet is gone and a white circle appears in his place as a portrait. Support here says to close the client, restart and reload to fix the issue...but that doesn't help. This is a show-stopper as you can't change maps without gathering your party...

• Like 1

Hey,

Save Games location:

Output log:

Thanks!

Here are zipped copies of the saved game and output log. Hope this helps!

output_log.zip

6b7d34fa7d81481489ff9bf4f2499147 7955521 GildedVale.zip

Maybe he had urgent business to attend off screen and returned as soon as he could. In all seriousness, hopefully it's one of those weird one off glitches.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

In all seriousness, hopefully it's one of those weird one off glitches.

It isn't. It really, REALLY isn't. And it is breaking the game completely for me. First time I loaded my ranger character the companion is gone. Since I am now reading that it doesn't only happen for companions but also followers, why would I want to make a new game if it will just happen all over again?

Until there is a proper fix for this, PoE will have to sit in the dark corner of my Steam Library and remain unplayed.

• Like 1

It isn't. It really, REALLY isn't. And it is breaking the game completely for me. First time I loaded my ranger character the companion is gone. Since I am now reading that it doesn't only happen for companions but also followers, why would I want to make a new game if it will just happen all over again?

Ahh, I see. I'm sorry, I didn't quite get it at first. There are so many posts/threads to approve that I tend to skim them mostly to make sure that they're on the up and up. That's a real bummer man and I hope the issue is resolved for you and soon!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

OK I have included my autosave and output log, still seems that only my auto save is effected for the time being,

from the output log I noticed

(Filename:  Line: 1788)

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1788)

The asset bundle 'D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle/cre_bear_animal_companion.unity3d' can't be loaded because another asset bundle with the same files are already loaded.

(Filename:  Line: 701)

this probably is the issue? but anyway, hope the log provides the answer, as this is a game breaking bug.

output_log.zip

Edited by matthewfarmery

Until there is a proper fix for this, PoE will have to sit in the dark corner of my Steam Library and remain unplayed.

its not that bad when it happens to a follower since you can always just dismiss them via manageparty in the console.

the pets sadly you cannot dismiss and therein lies the problem.

In my case the complete party-management is broken. Starting with a missing ranger companion up to white boxes with "name-error" in the partymember select window. Changing zone/map is mostly impossible cause the missing ranger pet gives a "you must gather your party before venturing forth" :( . I tried to dismiss ALL members but this was no solution. My main charakter was not solo because there was a npc always by his side, not in the party but by his side on the maps. Reinviting the original members was ok and the npc gone but after that there was the nasty ranger companion bug again.

Edited by blue_and_me
  • Like 1

output_log_2.zipSigh. After progressing quite a bit in the game, it happened again. I was hoping it was a one-off problem, but now I'm stuck in Raedric's keep with no way to get out. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414761973

The save files are now too large to upload here.

Hope there's a fix soon. Thanks for the help.