Mac OS X: No Capes/Cloaks

Lasweetlife

Question

I'be had this issue since the last backer beta and it is in the full game as well. When I put a cape or a cloak on a character it does not show up on the inventory model or ingame. It had been working in the earlier betas though

27" iMac

i5

Nvidia 680MX

OS X Yosemite

I'm extremely upset about the Mac version of this game.  After spending close to $50 I am left with a bug ridden, choppy, unplayable piece of poorly coded software.  This game should NOT have been released under the OS X platforms with said problems and I feel cheated.  It runs incredibly choppy on my maxed out 2015 iMac 27in Retina even under low resolution.  I have absolutely zero respect for studios trying to make a quick buck by releasing softwares not properly tested.  What BS. 

Yikes, I've been playing this on a laptop with intel HD 4000 in linux and the only time the game is choppy is when I accidentally unplug it, battery drains, and computer throttles down.

That said, I'd really like cloaks to show too but realize it's probably not going to happen on linux, not any time soon. Obsidian made the call to use Shroud which came out at a time when linux + gaming wasn't even a thing. Shroud has its own runtime which they'd have to port to linux, not an impossible task, but if Obsidian is already heavily invested in shroud (monetarily), at best they can keep pestering Shroud for support with the builds on OSX.

So linux people could pester Shroud, or Obsidian could jump boat to something else like (random example) http://www.havok.com/products/cloth and back track on any money spent with shroud license and development time for integration, or who knows, shroud told obsidian they're working on linux support but keep it under wraps and working on the mac issue with unity version being used here and Obsidian is waiting it out hoping for the best given the money and time that's gone into it.

Either way it's a tough call on the developer's part, but I sure would like cloaks :)

I'm extremely upset about the Mac version of this game.  After spending close to $50 I am left with a bug ridden, choppy, unplayable piece of poorly coded software.  This game should NOT have been released under the OS X platforms with said problems and I feel cheated.  It runs incredibly choppy on my maxed out 2015 iMac 27in Retina even under low resolution.  I have absolutely zero respect for studios trying to make a quick buck by releasing softwares not properly tested.  What BS. 

PoE runs great on my 2012 iMac. I have experienced bugs just like users on the other operating systems but yet to have a crash or fps issues with over 100 hours played. I guess you must just be unlucky.

Well looks like we Mac users are a minority. We should keep posting and hope for this to get fixed anytime soon... 

Actually, Linux is more of a minority in the Gaming Scene than Mac, but yes Mac is right under Windows. It's because Micro$oft owns the market pretty much. They have for a long time. In fact, they also have bought most of the shares on Apple, so they pretty much own more than half of the company according to some articles I read on the internet - if that's even true. How much of the information on the internet can you without a shadow of a doubt trust is actually honest?

Anyway, as for the capes; apparently either the code or software within their game that show cloaks and the physics from them doesn't support Linux; Mac on the other hand is a little different, it is supported there. But Unix isn't drastically different from Linux so I don't understand why Mac and Linux are so far behind when it comes to what's available, besides maybe lack of money return on Linux; which is a shame for me considering I just really enjoy having all the freedom I get on Linux.

The main reason that OS X constitutes ~5% of the global OS market (Windows has a 93%+ share) is because Apple doesn't actually compete with Microsoft in the global OS markets. Unlike Microsoft, which does not tie Windows to any particular brand of computer hardware, Apple ties OS X to the Apple-branded x86 Intel-compatible clones it sells (called “Macs”.) OS X could very easily run on everything just like Windows (it is based on NextStep, and has been an x86 OS from the start)—but Apple artificially ties it to the Mac exclusively, through the Mac firmware. While Windows will run on anything x86, including a Mac (via Bootcamp), OS X will only run on an x86 Mac. At least legally… ;) Apple wants to sell the hardware, whereas Microsoft wants to sell software. The two companies are very different (for instance 2/3 of Apple's total revenue comes from cell-phone hardware, whereas ~90% of Microsoft's income comes from software sales, including Windows.)

Also, about the shares...several years ago when Steve Jobs became the “Interim CEO” @ Apple, the company was nearly broke and on its last legs. Jobs went begging (literally) to Bill Gates, hat in hand, for financial help, and Microsoft bought ~$512 million dollar's worth of Apple shares at the time, just to give Apple some much needed cash, IIRC. (Contrary to popular opinion, Gates and Jobs had an association that spanned decades. They were not the best of friends, but not enemies, either.) There was a big announcement of Microsoft's help at the time in a video of Jobs & Gates together making the announcement—you can Bing/Google it and find it, I'm sure. At that time, Apple also agreed to cease and desist its longtime-running “look and feel” lawsuit against Microsoft (Apple at one time believed that nobody had the right to make a GUI-driven OS except Apple, believe it or not.) Anyway, long story short, Microsoft sold all of its Apple shares at a profit years ago. I have no idea if Microsoft has bought shares of Apple since—if so, I've not read or heard anything about it.

Seriously, most of what you will read on Mac fan sites that concerns Microsoft will be false—you can take that to the bank… ;)

• Like 2

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Seriously. I'm another mac user who cannot enjoy capes or cloaks... I mean, if I can't do a solid cloak flourish... what is the point of playing this game at all?

I'm very disappointed. Very. disappointed.

Seriously. I'm another mac user who cannot enjoy capes or cloaks... I mean, if I can't do a solid cloak flourish... what is the point of playing this game at all?

I'm very disappointed. Very. disappointed.

Yes, the sad matter is, devs seem to be focusing on expansions (which is great) and fixing other bugs. But they forgot about us, mac users.  :getlost:

I recall seeing a developer post in another thread about this... The third party plug-in they use for the capes only works in Windows. It isn't a "bug" in the strict sense of the word and I don't know if they can "fix" it without redoing the whole system that handles the capes.

Unity has a built in cloth renderer right?

http://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentation/Manual/class-Cloth.html

Why not use class-Cloth instead of using a 3rd party one like shroud? After all, it's not like cloth physics in Pillars of Eternity are extremely complex? I mean i'd say cape physics in Shadow over Morder would be more complex and that was done using Havok Cloth which allows it to run fine on Linux.

If the game engine natively supports it, that should be what's used to render cloth on OSX and Linux. 

Having the ability to see the cloaks is better than not having it tbh and you can't wait for shroud. Heck, shroud hasn't had an update in 3 years! It's only a matter of time before the plugin has issues on Windows too.

To help devs, Unity should be more clear on their plugin pages. Clearly state which version of Unity is required and what platforms are supported. Also should clearly state if the plugin is in active development or is dormant.

That being said, can devs give us an update on this? I mean i paid a mean price for PoE. Almost full! I'd love to be able to see some cloaks come out of it. I'd say the same for OSX users although i'm a Linux user. Waiting on shroud is not gonna work for Obsidian tbh. Not now and not any time soon.

Edited by Cxpher

For those hoping to get 1 & 2 as a bundle..

This immersion breaking bug still exists on 1 for Linux & OSX due to shroud being broken on these platforms.

Edited by Cxpher

Do I take it this never got fixed? I've come across this thread while looking for a solution to problems getting Pillars 1 running on M1 Mac, but if there are other problems with the Mac version anyway, maybe I should just bite the bullet and use Parallels to play the Windows version.