Game constant freezes and voice delay

Nemeter

Question

• During chargen every time a new portrait is loaded the game freezes for ~15 seconds.
  • Accessing the main character inventory or changing his gear causes another freeze of ~5 seconds
  • All voiceovers are delayed for ~5 seconds. Extremely annoying.

This problems seem to be quite common. Other than that the game works flawlessly, even when the game hangs up the music stills sounds and the cursor works, you just can't interact with anything and the graphics are stuck.

• Like 8

@Roby, the issues are both in the character creator as well as the game itself. As per my previous posts, any item the main inventory is opened (on the player's character), as well as any time an item is switched out on one's avatar, the game will lag for a good 10-15 seconds. The audio/VO delay is constant with any interaction.

A little update as well: I was experiencing this inventory/portrait/VO delay problem without having Hamachi installed so I did a little investigation. My motherboard has two built in ethernet devices, one an Intel and another being a Killer Ethernet E220x device. Applying what was learnt here on this forum and my previous experience with Kerbal Space Program, I reconnected to my network via my Intel port instead of the Killer and disabled the Killer within Windows. As soon as that was done, the problems within Pillars of Eternity were gone and any delay as well. There seems, in addition to Hamachi, to be an interface problem between Unity/PoE and Killer Ethernet cards as well. Thought I should mention this if anyone else has a Killer NIC as well. Hope it helps any users as a temporary work around and any devs with a solution!

Kind regards.

Well this had us scratching our heads a bit but interesting that network issues are seemingly cause the issue. The only thing that I can immediately think could have any communication with any network is us opening a connection with the Steam API.

This truly is a random guess... but does VO-code and portrait code load files the same way? Loaded as needed instead of cached? Guessing that code could be the cause - filesystem access... lots of stuff can happen behind the scenes there, lots of abstraction involved ...but I'm just taking a shot in the dark. Good luck debugging :p

Okay so I am unsure if this solution has been posted before but I just did this and it has stopped all lag via inventory, audio during conversations and portrait selection.  All I did was disable my ethernet adapter through device manager.  If you are using wireless I suggest you disconnect.  Once I am disconnected to the internet the game works perfect, let me know if it works for you! 

Thanks mate! I just disabled my hamachi and poof, the problems are gone. Much appreciated!

This worked for me. >>>

Go to Control Panel.

Go to Network and Internet.

Go to Network and Sharing Center.

Go to Change Adapter Settings.

>>Remove Hamachi<<

I'm not entirely sure why but I saw this briefly mentioned in this thread and it works perfectly. Eliminating the game breaking issues. 

Windows 7 64*

i7 3820 3.6 Ghz

GTX 780

Hope this worked guys!

Chiming in to say the fix of disabling unused/unoptimized network connections works like a charm. One uninstall of Hamachi later and the game runs perfectly. I'm using the GOG version myself, so the problem isn't limited to Steam, strangely - but it can be fixed in the same way.

Same solution as some others have posted, disabling all my non-primary network adapters (hamachi & attached cellphone for me) fixes all issues completely, dramatically reduces all load times, boosts performance. Game is really sexy by the way devs :D

Hi guys, if you are like me and only have one network adapter, you can fix it by going to "Windows firewall with advanced security" and adding a new "inbound" & "outbound"  rule

1 type: program

2 this program path: (browse for pillars of eternity.exe) (for example Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity.exe)

3 Block the connection

4 tick all three options: domain, private, public

5 name it something smart so you can delete it later if needed

Though the strangest part is, that if you alt+tab from the game (windowed & fullscreen) the problem still reappears for me. No idea how to troubleshoot that..

(previous post still pending approval, so i cant edit it :/ )

I am also having this delay issue with portraits, voice delay, and inventory lag. I do not have Hamachi installed.

Disabling my ethernet (wired internet) adapter DID fix it. When I play with wireless internet, I have no issues at all. However, I usually use an Ethernet line to go online, because my wireless adapter is outdated so my wired connection is faster. I would prefer to play with my wired connection and not have to switch to wireless.

SO, if you guys are having this issue, and your PC/Laptop/Mac? has a wired AND a wireless connection, playing on wireless with the wired connection disabled WILL fix it.

So obviously, Devs, this issue has to do with networking (you already know this), but also specifically with wired ethernet connections (as well as Hamachi).

I can cofirm this issue is related to networks settings. A year back we were messing with old Age of Empires 2 LAN setting between my Win7 and friend's Linux machine. We had to set static adress on the Win7 machine and connect our machines directly. Once there was any abstraction layer (dynamic adress controlled by router) it failed. So setting this up, apparently, created two different networks in Win7 on one adapter (one for Net router and one for the LAN I assume). Figuring out how to delete one of the networks was bit of pain as setting is bound to adapter, not networks, and Windows controls are some huge unintuitive mess here. But I managed and now the PoE game runs just fine. Have to check Kerbal Space as it was said it should suffer extreme loading times for the same cause (and I have experienced these).

Prior to this I was only able to solve the PoE issues by disabling the net adapter completely.

Thanks for help, community!

Just wanted to chip in here for people who have this issue. Didnt see it mentioned on the front page, but on the Reddit page for this issue, for a lot of people, myself included, turning off the Hamachi network adapter worked great. Did it while the game was loaded, and the slow loading disappeared instantly.

Hoping this patch comes out soonish. Remembering to disable all the network adapters just to play this game isn't fun. I have several virtualized adapters for work and enabling/disabling 6 adapters get frustrating.

I would mostly be fine with playing, if it wasn't for Mirror Image causing the issue to come up too.

Patch 1.03 is live and this issue with portrait/opening inventory freezes and voice delay is still reproducible. I disabled all of my network adapters (btw I don't use hamachi) but one which provides internet connection, disabled IPv6, launced game as Administrator... nothing helps :(

- Windows 7 64*

- i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz

- GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I wonder if theres anyone who can help me out a bit here. Its worth pointing out I am not overly tech savvy, though I can and often do solve (computer related) problems by reading and following solutions from the internet :D

I have the same problem, inventory lag portrait lag voice acting lag stuff. So far my fix is to disable my ethernet connection. Same as most people here.
My connection is from a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller if that means anything, which in the networking and sharing centre is named 'Local Area Connection'. I also have an unused and permanently disabled connection called 'VPN2 - VPN Client' (possibly unrelated but figured I'd mention it.)

So to get Pillars to work properly I have to disable the Local Area Connection, its great that the game runs smoothly but it means I no longer have an internet connection, which lets face it is a real inconvenience. Is there something I can do to be online and have lag free PoE gaming? From reading other posts using a wireless connection and disabling the ethernet port may work, but my wireless usb adapter isn't very modern and would probably be fairly slow compared to the wired connection so therefore not ideal.

Any help is appreciated :D

-Greg