Game constant freezes and voice delay

Nemeter

Question

• During chargen every time a new portrait is loaded the game freezes for ~15 seconds.
  • Accessing the main character inventory or changing his gear causes another freeze of ~5 seconds
  • All voiceovers are delayed for ~5 seconds. Extremely annoying.

This problems seem to be quite common. Other than that the game works flawlessly, even when the game hangs up the music stills sounds and the cursor works, you just can't interact with anything and the graphics are stuck.

• Like 8

I've had the same issue and I did two things which fixed it, I don't know if it is temporary or not.

1- I've changed the order of portraits down below (party order)

2- I've changed from an equipped weapon set to the other with a recruited party member (from the inn)

After reloading my last save and trying this out again, it didn't work. Maybe it'll work for you or maybe not but don't forget to save if it does.

Edited by CrazyIvanTR

Just a little bit of feedback concerning the inventory: As far as I can tell, it only freezes when the main character's (the player's) inventory is opened. If I have a party member as leader and open the inventory, there is no delay; however, if the player character is leader and the inventory is opened, or one switches to the player character within the inventory system, then the game hangs for awhile. Thought I'd mention this if it helps a diagnosis at all.

As for the audio delay bug, can't say I've noticed anything I've done so far that affects it. Could it be a sound driver problem?

Same issue here.

I don't want to be blunt with you guys at Obsidian because the game seems really, really great as far as I played but... This bug is known and experienced by many of us since the beta, and it's ruining the game right now. I won't keep on playing until you find a workaround. 

Edited by chtitelarve
  • Like 1

Hallo Obsidian,

thanks for that great game! Works all fine but the inventory screen, which freezes. From my point of view it looks like the small 3D Character animation is reason for all that trouble. Everytime i switch items (while in inventory) or chars the game freezes for about 10 to 15 seconds. 

I also have this kind of freezes while choosing the picture / voice in character creation menu.

12GB Ram

Intel i3 540

Win7 64Biit

Geforce 770 GTX

Looking forward hearing from you,

I am having the same problem as the rest of us.

But I will note the following:
From "Brandon" a "Lead Producer".

"...we are racing to collect and fix as many bugs as we can for our day one patch. Overall, things are pretty smooth, but there are about 1/2 a dozen issues that we want to try and fix as soon as possible."

Link to quote: Here

So hopefully this issue will be one they solve in the day-one patch.

Hey guys and girls.

Yes I had the same problem except with me it was only voice delay such as in dioluge and selection and such, even spell casting and the huge delay opening inventory and level up screen.

Thing is though when I encounterd it I then Alt Tab to look up if its a problem and if so the cause and solution but then though and behold I tab back into the game and the issues no longer where a gone?

So I don't know if that is a real solution but its worth a shot to tab out and in againt (the game I mean) to test it to see if it stops the issues from happening.

Okay so I am unsure if this solution has been posted before but I just did this and it has stopped all lag via inventory, audio during conversations and portrait selection.  All I did was disable my ethernet adapter through device manager.  If you are using wireless I suggest you disconnect.  Once I am disconnected to the internet the game works perfect, let me know if it works for you! 

• Like 4

Okay so I am unsure if this solution has been posted before but I just did this and it has stopped all lag via inventory, audio during conversations and portrait selection.  All I did was disable my ethernet adapter through device manager.  If you are using wireless I suggest you disconnect.  Once I am disconnected to the internet the game works perfect, let me know if it works for you! 

Well what do you know .. that seems to work for me too!

Good lord, that was it. I just had to disable the VMWare network adapter, that seems to be the root of the problem. Would be nice though if obsidian could fix it so I don't have to enable/disable the network every time I have to use a virtual machine.

So, for the rest of the cursed, just try to disable all the networks that you have to see if the freezing stops.

God bless you bnutchison. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Well what do you know .. that seems to work for me too!

Happy Gaming :D

I will confirm this workaround as well.

Though I will note that I am not a wireless network, rather I am connected by cable. Though, I have two "Network Connections", one for the "Local Area Connection" and one old one for the program "Hamachi". I disabled the "Hamachi" one and it works, at least, on the character creation screen (and that is how fare I have gotten so fare).

• Like 1

You have to be kidding guys ? Well I thank you for this temporary workaround but there is no way I'm gonna disable network adapter, ahah especially on a steam-based game !

EDIT : ok i disabled ONLY Hamachi and it now works fine, i can litterally spam I (inventory), and no more freezes, the tooltips display instantly, etc.

WTF ?

Edited by chtitelarve

You have to be kidding guys ? Well I thank you for this temporary workaround but there is no way I'm gonna disable network adapter, ahah especially on a steam-based game !

You don't need the internet if your purely playing the game though, you can just re-enable the adapter after playing.  Up to you though :).

Deinstalling the Hamachinetworkadapter worked perfectly for me too. I left the network connection untouched otherwise. So thank you guys for the workaround and idea. Freezes and audoidelay are gone. Time to play. :biggrin:

Edited by TinyDemon

bhutchison is absolutely right. Just tried this out myself and it works. As soon as I disabled my primary network adapter (my secondary has no affect) the game would run smoothly, without any delays. Thanks for this suggestion, bhutchison. Hopefully this can help narrow the bug down.

Interestingly, I feel, I experienced a similar bug with Kerbal Space Program, in that its initial launch would take upwards of 30 minutes if the primary network adapter was not disabled before launching the game. Since both Kerbal and Pillars of Eternity share the Unity engine, could this perhaps be a Unity engine bug? I haven't played Kerbal in some time, and the last I heard was that the developers there were trying to work with the Unity devs to sort out the problem - perhaps there is a crossover bug here thanks to the engine?

bhutchison is absolutely right. Just tried this out myself and it works. As soon as I disabled my primary network adapter (my secondary has no affect) the game would run smoothly, without any delays. Thanks for this suggestion, bhutchison. Hopefully this can help narrow the bug down.

Interestingly, I feel, I experienced a similar bug with Kerbal Space Program, in that its initial launch would take upwards of 30 minutes if the primary network adapter was not disabled before launching the game. Since both Kerbal and Pillars of Eternity share the Unity engine, could this perhaps be a Unity engine bug? I haven't played Kerbal in some time, and the last I heard was that the developers there were trying to work with the Unity devs to sort out the problem - perhaps there is a crossover bug here thanks to the engine?

Funny you should say that, I picked up KSP a month ago and was astonished by the launch time.  It took ages to start the game up, so it must be a unity related problem indeed.

Yes, deinstalling hamachi did help and there are no more issues during inventory management.

But considering this is a single player game... why is it coded so that there are some requests towards the network cards? Couldnt this be somehow avoided?