Game constant freezes and voice delay

Nemeter

Question

• During chargen every time a new portrait is loaded the game freezes for ~15 seconds.
  • Accessing the main character inventory or changing his gear causes another freeze of ~5 seconds
  • All voiceovers are delayed for ~5 seconds. Extremely annoying.

This problems seem to be quite common. Other than that the game works flawlessly, even when the game hangs up the music stills sounds and the cursor works, you just can't interact with anything and the graphics are stuck.

• Like 8

hmm i deleted all the portraits in the folder and now i no longer have frezzes

edit : trying with customized portraits --> frezze again

looks like a memory problem the game only uses 1.070mb Systemmemory never goes  higher then that for me

my friend got much more think thats the problem because of unloading the files from the cache each time you change something .

Edited by SWMania

Deleting the portraits folder in its entirety appears to solve the audio delays, but this is obviously far from ideal. You end up with a generic human picture in the bottom left of the ui that doesn't fit with your character.

Is this everyone with windows 7 64 bit having the issue? How has that not been picked up before launch?

Out of curiosity, where do you all have your game installed? C: drive? Internal additional drive? External drive?

Answering a bit late, but mine is on an internal additional drive (my C drive being a SSD with windows on it).

Also I tried running it in administrator mode just in case, but didn't change a thing.

Out of curiosity, where do you all have your game installed? C: drive? Internal additional drive? External drive?

I have the same problem, sent a mail to support just before I found this thread: 

Hi! 

I am having some problems during runtime of the game, but first I will list my relevant computer specs: 

Processor:
Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
HDD: 
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB SSD
Windows 7 Professional SP1

If you need any more information from me, please ask and I will provide as much as I can. 

PROBLEMS:

• During character creation, the game enters some kind of busy wait loop for around 10 seconds every time I tried to switch portraits (only tried this as a male character).

• The game does the same, but for 4-6 seconds every time I open the character's inventory.

• Not sure how long time loading should take, but around 15-20 seconds if I quick load for example, or enter a new area that needs to load. 

• Dialogue takes several seconds to load before it starts playing, so I hear the sound play after I have continued to the next dialogue.

• Music seems to take a lot of time to load as well, so it only starts playing if I have stayed in one area for a very long time. 
This seems to be a problem related to input/output, and I have no such problems in any other games (Like Dota 2, Path of Exile, Nuclear Throne, installed on the same SSD-drive as Pillars of Eternity).

If you want me to perform any debugging or send back any logfiles that might exist I will happily do so!

Game is installed C:\Program Files (x86)\games\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity.

Hope it's of any help.

I have all the symptoms that other people described, like delayed voice over or lag when opening the inventory. Here is what I tried so far:

• Starting game as Administrator
  • Enable / Disable vsync
  • Run game in window / full screen
  • Increase / decrease process priority
  • Change Core affinity to use 1,2,3 or 4 cores
  • Delete all portraits in \PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player

I am running Windows 7 and a ATI card, with the drivers beeing a few months old.

Although deleting the profile picture folder appears to solve audio lag, I still end up with lag in my main character's inventory later on in the game when swapping items around.

The game remains unplayable in this state.

So, the issue seems tied to modifying character models and their portraits. It freezes if you change equipment, but not if you change potions.

The issue really rears its head when you're loading old saves.

Have a 13 hour save file that Took 5+ minutes to load because the game locks up in what I assume is its attempt to load the characters.

It's also 'temporary' in so far as after a certain amount of time all this disappears and load times normalise - but if you quit the game and launch back in, it resumes.

THe game is nigh unplayable until this point - if I want to play the game 'as intended' it  looks like I'll have to 'warm it up' by leaving it on for over an hour, and then coming in to see if the load times fix itself.

hmm when i look at the outputfile and i change the portrait on the Character creation it shows me this every time

Unloading 47317 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 14950.
Total: 134.685913 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.429142 ms CreateObjectMapping: 5.532384 ms MarkObjects: 17.384150 ms  DeleteObjects: 107.784073 ms)

""DeleteObjects: 107.784073 ms""

Thats why everytime it take so long to load a new picture is there a options in the console to disable this ?

Got 16Gig Ram so i want to disable it or maybe increase the use (Game only uses 1070Mb)

Edited by SWMania

Adding to the issue (and i'm not sure if it's related or not) but casting Mirror Image freezes the game for me. This in addition to the behavior described you you fine gentlemen above, is currently affecting my system as well.

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 975 ~3.6 GHz

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (latest drivers)

DirectX: 11

RAM: 12 GB.

My guess is these issues are all related to character avatar ( and i think someone might have mentioned this earlier) and caching data. I really hope we see a workaround of fix for this memory issue, since it's making the game quite sluggish and tedious to play. 

Deleting the portraits folder in its entirety appears to solve the audio delays, but this is obviously far from ideal. You end up with a generic human picture in the bottom left of the ui that doesn't fit with your character.

Is this everyone with windows 7 64 bit having the issue? How has that not been picked up before launch?

This worked for me aswell, tho i just copied the portait folder and deleted the original one, i still have my portraits. 

Try XP compatibility mode?. I mean, the game is clearly a 32-bit / DX9 one or I couldn't play it / Try 334.89 drivers? =

No (portrait / invertory) freezes or audio delays, even though my CPU & GPU are a little bit, below the minimum. But only "a little bit":

GOG version / Win XP SP3 (optimized for audio recording) / 2 GB (of DDR 400) RAM / Nvidia GT520 (Drivers: 334.89) / 1280x720 (windowed) / and .. .....wait for it........ AMD Athlon 64 3500+. "Suprise suprise" - it runs kinda (or really really) badly, but it actually r-u-n-s. You know - the opposite of not running or constanly freezing?.

"Zoom in" (like at the tree with the hanged people in Gilded Vale) & "sneak around a lot" & "use middle mouse button to move to screen, instead scrolling it with arrow keys" fix screen lag & SPF instead or FPS problems. My game clearly has this "memory bleeds out and when you try to leave an area and to go the next, it crashes as there's not enough memory left" issue. But "Save. Quit the game. Start the game. Load" has worked ev'rytime.

So, testing with the portrait files, after moving the folder from its place:

• It does nothing with existing characters other than changing the portrait to a red exclamation point since the pngs doesn't exist anymore.
  • If you create a new character after removing the portrait files, It eliminates the freezing (portrait selection during chargen, open main character inventory, change main character gear and right at the end of a loading screen) but the voice delay it's there in all its glory.

Experiencing the same issue here myself. Tried all of the above methods, but to no avail so far. I managed to make it past the slow character creation's portrait selection and voice choices, but the game is quite unplayable when there is that lengthy delay when opening the inventory and switching characters within the inventory.

Also running an Intel CPU 4770k with an AMD R2985, for what its worth.

Same issues detailed in this thread

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

Intel® Core i7 CPU, 920@2.67GHz

Driver Version: 347.88

18GB RAM

I think it's also worth noting that, at the moment of writing, there are 91 users reading this topic, 77 of whom are guests.

Edited by Swingletree