So I started off by creating a wood elf ranger for my first character and picked up marked prey. On every single fight so far (about a half dozen) I have gotten the spoken line that the ability isn't working. I click the ability and then then enemy I want to mark. It never works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

The "it isn't working" line is played not when an ability isn't working but when your weapon isn't doing a lot of damage. Mostly this happens because the damage type you're using isn't good against the enemy's defense. Try switching to a weapon that does a different kind of damage.

Edited by MasterPrudent

I guess that is what is puzzling though. That line fires before I have attacked with my main weapon (a bow) and seems to trigger when I use the Marked Prey ability. What does it mean for marked prey not to be good against a certain enemy? It's a debuff, it doesn't make much sense to be considered a weak damage type.

Thanks for the reply.

It's just a percentage damage increase, not a flat damage increase.  Hard to say how much... I imagine somewhere between 15% and 50%.  

Would be nice if tooltips displayed accurate information, though.  Noticing that a lot in this game, but I've come to expect lying character sheets and tooltips in rpgs.

After further testing, the remark must be related to the ensuing weapon attack and not marked prey. When I click on the enemy I can see the debuff icon, so it's getting applied.

No, actually the remark is based on marked prey doing no damage.   Just ignore it, it shouldn't be playing at all.

The damage for subsequent weapon attacks will show on mouse-over.  With an arquebus, it was giving me about +20 on every hit. 

Edited by Voss

I have the answer for this one. Firstly the Mark appears on the creature, not as a buff on you. So you can see the creatures info if you hover over it with the mouse and this will inform you if the mark applied. Also it doesn't add a flat +20 damage (which would be nuts) it adds 20% damage. This can be difficult to detect.