What precisely is Expert Mode?

"Disables a number of "helper" features in the game" couldn't possibly be any more vague. Considering you can't switch it on and off at will, I'd like to know what it does before committing to it. I'm assuming it's not tutorial pop-ups, since those have their own setting.

Is it meant to be an obscure surprise, or was it detailed in one of the updates? I have to admit I haven't followed those as closely as I maybe should have.

• Like 1

My "expert mode" is grayed out for some reason. I can't choose it even if I wanted to.

EDIT: Doh. One has to enable it beginning a game. Can't do it from Options, even before starting.

Edited by madglee

My "expert mode" is grayed out for some reason. I can't choose it even if I wanted to.

It cannot be activated from the main menu. If you start a new game with expert mode on, and then go to the options menu while ingame, expert mode is ticked.

If you untick it ingame, you won't be able to reactivate it in that game. Therefore, to try this out without risking any important saves that have expert mode on, you could create a new game with expert mode on and see what happens and what unticking it does.

you can choose expert mode when you start a new game you cant turn it on from the options

what it does is: it removes all ui elements that PoE has and BG had not

no aoe indicators

no overhead health bars

no [stats] in dialogue

and so on

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up turning it off and disabling individual features instead. I can't do without AoE indicators, learning every ability by trial and error and then remembering them all is an unnecessary hassle.

I'm still working on completing a hard-expert mode game. Has been much fun to be honest. A real challenge because those AOE cutouts make combat way too easy. You have to make hard choices and rely less on your spell-caster AOEs and instead a solid group of melee. Having two makes it extremely hard, you get maybe a solid opener but if you don't kill them in the opener you'll be in trouble.

Edited by Xelos