UI Scaling - blurry font

Cirventhor

Question

When running higher resolutions than 1080p, the interface seems to be scaled. This makes the UI elements, particularly the font, fairly blurry.

On my 1920x1200 monitor I've had to bump down my resolution to 1080p to get crisp fonts. Is it possible to disable the scaling of the UI so it runs at it's default size even when using higher resolutions?

• Like 2

Christ, why for the love of god don't they just allow the option to disable UI scaling. I understand that redesigning or rerendering the UI assets to cater to the niche resolutions won't happen (i play at 1440p). But it really can't be that hard to just allow people that don't want abysmal blurry UI and text, to just disable the scaling altogether?

Completely agree. I don't scale my desktop, so I don't understand why the game forces us to scale the UI (especially since it makes such a bad job of it)

Edited by AgentMat
  • Like 1

Guys, is it just me or the font looks better after installing patch 1.5?

I play at 2560x1440. I wasn't really expecting it to change but every time I look at it I can't help but think something has changed :geek: am I just seeing things?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Guys, is it just me or the font looks better after installing patch 1.5?

I play at 2560x1440. I wasn't really expecting it to change but every time I look at it I can't help but think something has changed :geek: am I just seeing things?

IMO it looks the same and I use the same resolution. Do you use some font scale in the game or 100% ?

IMO it looks the same and I use the same resolution. Do you use some font scale in the game or 100% ?

It is set to 100%.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the game text as I see it: Screenshot

If it is the same as what you see when you play, I'm officially seeing things that don't exist.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey guys,

Sorry it took us awhile to respond to this thread but we have been trying to reproduce this bug without any luck. Can you take a screenshot of the blurry font issue and upload your system spec: dxdiag log file (PC)/ system report (Mac)/ system setting (Linux). What type of monitors are you using? Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

Hey guys,

Sorry it took us awhile to respond to this thread but we have been trying to reproduce this bug without any luck. Can you take a screenshot of the blurry font issue and upload your system spec: dxdiag log file (PC)/ system report (Mac)/ system setting (Linux). What type of monitors are you using? Thanks for the info.

Hello KTran, thank's for the response.

there is one thread with some pictures here http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75000-please-provide-an-option-to-disable-ui-scaling/

and here are some of mine... hm I cannot insert pictures in the forum so you can download them here https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116215454810583463402/albums/6149435584478031601

Dxdiag https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f6G4CmAuVPbFhmVUhlR19HU00/view?usp=sharing

Monitor Dell U2711 27" 2560x1440

As you can see the 1080p text is pretty clear and crisp but the 1440p text is blurry on the edges and is faded / washed out. My eyes get tired really fast reading the 1440p text and playing the game in a 1080p window is not a good experience either.

Seeing those pictures, I realized I do have blurry text just like everyone else.

My monitor is the BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440; my graphics card is a GTX 970.

KTran, some thoughts:

• While I appreciate the need for upscaling UI assets that are capped at 1920x1200, there is no need for the font to also be upscaled. Case in point: The UI in BG:EE and BGII:EE gets upscaled beyond 1024x768, yet their font is always crystal clear.
  • Polina mentioned here that portraits' native resolution is 4800 x 7540; so I wonder—is there really a need for portraits to be upscaled beyond 1920x1200 and become blurred? If game size is a concern, I would be willing to download a separate "high-resolution assets" installer for a sharper font and sharper portraits (and if inventory icons could receive the same treatment, all the better.)

Alternatively, you could provide an option to disable UI scaling as others suggested. I'm not a fan of that solution, personally, as it would make the UI much smaller (I would rather keep a bigger, albeit blurry, UI if I could have sharp fonts and portraits.)

EDIT: my DxDiag.

Edited by AndreaColombo

@AndreaColombo: You are right that text doesn't need to be scaled up, but we don't know how Obsidian implemented this. It might be very hard to change the game in such a way that fonts are always rendered in the native resolution. I'm surprised they didn't implement this in a more sensible fashion, but here we are. It's 2015 and Pillars of Eternity is not ready for resolutions beyond 1920x1200.

I'm surprised they didn't implement this in a more sensible fashion, but here we are. It's 2015 and Pillars of Eternity is not ready for resolutions beyond 1920x1200.

I hear you.

I bought this monitor because during the Kickstarter it was said 2560x1440 would be PoE's native resolution. Then they changed their minds for some reason, made 1920x1080 the game's native resolution without any official statement about it, and here I am with a monitor that cost me a full month's salary and can't do the one thing I bought it for.

After seeing the difference it makes, I've started playing the game windowed. One month's salary spent on a computer monitor for Pillars of Eternity and I have to play it windowed or it gets blurry as eff. "Butt-hurt" is an euphemism for how I feel about it.

Thanks guys. I included your specs and pictures in the bug report.

• Like 2

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

I'm playing windowed. Not particularly happy about this, but for the time being that's as good as it gets.

Yep. BMac confirmed to me via PM that he changed the code so that the font would always render at full resolution instead of upscaling beyond 1920x1200. The change will be in 2.0 :)

• Like 1

Oh my god, I just started the game in 2.0 and the fonts are so crisp, so beautiful.

Thank you so much, guys! You have no idea how happy this little thing makes me.

You're kidding, right?

What?

Edit: Oh, I looked up your post history, I guess you're having the opposite problem.

It sucks that the higher resolution fix apparently broke it for others, but do you really have to loudly complain about a turnaround time of one week? And then come in this thread, of all places, to complain some more? To put things in perspective, you do realize that we've been living with the blurry text for 5 months, not one week, let alone 1 day?

Edited by Janet

Oh my god, I just started the game in 2.0 and the fonts are so crisp, so beautiful.

You're kidding, right?

What?

Edit: Oh, I looked up your post history, I guess you're having the opposite problem.

It sucks that the higher resolution fix apparently broke it for others, but do you really have to loudly complain about a turnaround time of one week? And then come in this thread, of all places, to complain some more? To put things in perspective, you do realize that we've been living with the blurry text for 5 months, not one week, let alone 1 day?

It was an honest question. Thought you were being sarcastic, because you're the first to say you're not having blurry text after 2.0.

You're kidding, right?

What?

It was an honest question. Thought you were being sarcastic, because you're the first to say you're not having blurry text after 2.0.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't know there was a regression issue for text rendering. I was just so happy to get into the game and finally find crisp text that I rushed into this old thread to gush about it.

Hope it gets fixed soon!

Playing at 2560x1440 I confirm having a sharp font in most cases. There are a few spots on the UI where the font is still blurry and I'm not sure why.

Also the font on loading-screen tool tip starts out as blurry and switches to sharp after some time.

Character models are definitely be upscaled at character creation and level up :(