UI Scaling - blurry font

Cirventhor

Question

When running higher resolutions than 1080p, the interface seems to be scaled. This makes the UI elements, particularly the font, fairly blurry.

On my 1920x1200 monitor I've had to bump down my resolution to 1080p to get crisp fonts. Is it possible to disable the scaling of the UI so it runs at it's default size even when using higher resolutions?

• Like 2

Hi. This is a known issue that was reported in the backer beta as well.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the first patch. Particularly the font should be always crisp at all resolutions in such a text-heavy game.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

thanks for the tip. I was very disappointe by the bluriness of the whole UI, not just the text.

Setting the resolution to 1080p fixed that for me, unfortunately I see the windows mouse icon when I move the cursor outside of the game content. The "cage cursor" option doesn't help.

This also makes scrolling with the mouse tedious because I have to keep the cursor just inside the game content to be able to scroll.

Also, which is a lot more annoying, the Steam Overlay gets "stuck" in the black bars at the top and the bottom of the game. Alt-tabbing out of the game fixes this temporarily.

(I am using a Radeon graphics card with the newest drivers).

post-51437-0-67068400-1427406750_thumb.jpg

Edited by physicalist

thanks for the tip. I was very disappointe by the bluriness of the whole UI, not just the text.

Setting the resolution to 1080p fixed that for me, unfortunately I see the windows mouse icon when I move the cursor outside of the game content. The "cage cursor" option doesn't help.

This also makes scrolling with the mouse tedious because I have to keep the cursor just inside the game content to be able to scroll.

Also, which is a lot more annoying, the Steam Overlay gets "stuck" in the black bars at the top and the bottom of the game. Alt-tabbing out of the game fixes this temporarily.

(I am using a Radeon graphics card with the newest drivers).

You can work around this by setting your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 before starting the game.

I also have the same problem with the blurry text. I'm running the game at 2560x1440 which is the native res of my display.

Switching to 1080p doesn't solve anything, since the image is automatically upscaled by the GPU/display, and then everything is blurred (not just the text).

In such a text-heavy game this issue should be fixed as soon as possible. In BG:EE and BG2:EE, for example, the text is crystal clear at 1440p.

Let's hope they get it fixed in the next patch.

• Like 4

I don't think font scaling is an easy fix, but it certainly would be great to have.

Playing at 2560x1600, it's the biggest concern I have that hasn't already been addressed or slated for next week's patch. All the 2D content is beautifully rendered save for the text. I've tried scaling it down using the Font Scale option, but it still has sampling artifacts.

Certain icons and UI elements scale worse than others, apparently.

The Chanter's UI, for example, looks very pixellated at 2560x1440 ... same for most helmet icons.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Registered to confirm this issue. As a 1440p monitor user, i'm also having trouble enjoying the game fully because of the blurry scaling (a game that has been excellent for me except for this problem). 

Has anyone from Obsidian recognized the issue, seeing that apparently this was an issue since backer beta?

• Like 3

Give manual scaling slider for menus, maybe? I dunno. What I do know is what others have expressed. In a game so heavilty text based. This blurry, interpolated text is not easy on the eyes... at all.

• Like 1

Maybe it will be fixed in a future patch, but I don't get my hopes up too much because I read somewhere that this issue has been around since the Beta.

Since I don't have a spare 1080p display, I tried disabling Scaling in the nVidia Control Panel, in other to prevent the GPU from automatically upscaling the image to 1440p. It works fine with most other games, but for some reason it doesn't work with PoE: the game is upscaled anyways :-(

If blurry text is considered low priority, in a game that primarily conveys it's story with text. I don't even want to know what else is considered low prio tbh..

Edited by Asmodean-
  • Like 4

Would be nice to hear from a dev about this as it is still an issue (apparently not fixed by the upcoming 1.4 patch).

• Like 1

The upscaling is fixed for the most part for 1920x1200 in the current Beta (1.05, Steam). Only minor problems remain.

There doesn't seem to be proper text scaling for resolutions higher than 1920x1200, though.

Edited by physicalist

The upscaling is fixed for the most part for 1920x1200 in the current Beta (1.05, Steam). Only minor problems remain.

There doesn't seem to be proper text scaling for resolutions higher than 1920x1200, though.

Christ, why for the love of god don't they just allow the option to disable UI scaling. I understand that redesigning or rerendering the UI assets to cater to the niche resolutions won't happen (i play at 1440p). But it really can't be that hard to just allow people that don't want abysmal blurry UI and text, to just disable the scaling altogether?

• Like 2