(SOLVED) Second key for physical copy?

Hello

I ordered the $65 backer version which includes a digital and physical copy of the game. Recently there was a poll conducted to determine how you would handle physical copies being sent out at a later date. Unless I've read incorrectly, the physical copies are shipping late, and you are providing digital codes so that you can play on Day 1 in place of the physical editions. 

Currently I have one key in My Products. Should I be expecting two keys? Is a second key available when the rest of the digital rewards are unlocked? Will I have to wait until the physical copy arrives? Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I've got two people hoping to play today if possible! Thanks.

In other cases (e.g. Wasteland 2), the physical key would arrive with the physical box, the digital key online. I got my physical box key a couple of months later, for example. I'm not sure whether Obsidian has taken this into account - hope a dev sees this thread, and you should also email support if you've got 2 people waiting to play. I'm sure they'll try to help, but this particular issue might have slipped under the radar what with a million different configurations of rewards.

Hello

I ordered the $65 backer version which includes a digital and physical copy of the game. Recently there was a poll conducted to determine how you would handle physical copies being sent out at a later date. Unless I've read incorrectly, the physical copies are shipping late, and you are providing digital codes so that you can play on Day 1 in place of the physical editions. 

Currently I have one key in My Products. Should I be expecting two keys? Is a second key available when the rest of the digital rewards are unlocked? Will I have to wait until the physical copy arrives? Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I've got two people hoping to play today if possible! Thanks.

No, you shouldn't expect two keys. Then you would have three copies of the game. They gave you a key to redeem already, that's your digital copy. The physical copy will arrive whenever :(

Edited by Kaldaien

In other cases (e.g. Wasteland 2), the physical key would arrive with the physical box, the digital key online. I got my physical box key a couple of months later, for example. I'm not sure whether Obsidian has taken this into account - hope a dev sees this thread, and you should also email support if you've got 2 people waiting to play. I'm sure they'll try to help, but this particular issue might have slipped under the radar what with a million different configurations of rewards.

They did take this into account in Update 89 ( http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70459-update-89-backer-rewards/ ) and then in Update 90 ( https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70586-update-90-shipping-and-strategy-guide/ )

They stated they would give out a digital key for all physical tiers so that we could play Day 1. I kickstarted TWO copies. A digital and a physical. This would imply that I would get a second digital key based on the poll results and their posts. It seems that they didn't take into account that I ordered two copies for two separate people, and now only one can play. 

^ @Stryker:

They gave everyone with a physical-copy reward tier that didn't already come with at least 1 digital key, an "extra" digital key.

For each individual tier/package you paid for, you should have at least 1 digital key. So, if it already came with 1, you get no extra ones. If it came with less than 1, you get 1.

I'm not quite clear on what the status of your backing/packages is. Are you suggesting that you backed 1 tier/package for a total of 2 keys (the physical box/disc and the 1 digital key)? If so, then you only get those 2. You don't get another key.

Now, if you're saying that you backed for one physical copy tier/package, and then, separately, a digital-only tier/package, then yes, the physical-copy should have an accompanying digital key, THEN you'd have the totally-separate digital copy from its own tier/package, bringing your total number of game copies to 1 physical copy and 2 digital copies.

Does that make sense?

If you're missing something, I'd contact support. I realize it's inconvenient to have to wait on a response from them, but you've got to understand how much stuff they've got going on right now, and they didn't exactly raise enough money to hire 75,000 backers worth of extra support people for like a week. I'm sure they're working as fast as they can to get things like this straightened out. So, just contact them to make sure they're aware of it, if you're actually missing a key.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hey @Lephys

I understand what their intent was. To make sure all users who ordered a physical tier could play on day one. It's a great idea because of the delay in shipping. However...the way they handled people who kickstarted a tier that contains both digital and physical copies got the shaft. They just assume one digital key is enough, that only one person is playing. I got two copies of the game so two people could play. It's a DRM-free disc, an extra digital key means nothing because that disc is essentially as many copies as I want. 

They offered a digital key to all physical tier backers. Just because I already have a digital key (for myself) doesn't mean that I don't need a digital key for the physical copy (for my girlfriend). It's a separate copy of the game. I ordered two copies. The fact that I ordered a digital copy should have NO WEIGHT on their offer of a digital key for physical tiers. Someone is still having to wait. 

For what it's worth I already contacted support, but I haven't yet received a reply and thought I'd come to the forums to discuss if this was a recurring issue. In my mind I should have received a digital key because that's what they promised. The "you dont get a 3rd copy" argument seems moot when the physical disc is DRM Free. That's how they are able to provide digital copies to begin with for physical tiers. 

• Like 1

^ I understand what you're saying, but the main issue was that there were actually some tiers that did not have any digital key whatsoever. SO, because we're having to wait on the physical game disc (which goes against their initial plans), they wanted to make sure that people who were waiting on that to play it had at least 1 digital key they could use if they so choose.

I'm in your boat, only with less-specific plans. I've got friends who enjoy the type of games I often get to Kickstart, but can't really afford to get them at the time, etc. So, whenever I kickstart a game and it comes with a digital key, I just plan to give it to someone else. So, I can't use my digital key to play the game while I wait on my disc, unless I then give the disc away, I guess. *shrug*

Anywho, I understand your frustration, but it wasn't really that anyone was owed an extra key. At the same time, as you say, the DRM-free disc could simply be installed on both computers... IF we had it in our possession today. So... *shrug*. But, at the same time, you're not really supposed to use a single game disc to give 17 friends the game or anything, so just freely giving everyone extra keys is not quite the same thing. BUT, at the same time, it does seem a little strange not to simply count every physical copy as a copy that's not usable for a couple weeks, and say "every instance of the game that cannot be used on day 1 gets a key to make up for that." Even if it was just the base game, and no extras/goodies. Just something to take the place of the disc, until we get it. That does make a lot of sense.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, wait... DOES every single physical copy get an extra/free "here, while you're waiting on your disc!" digital copy? If so... I'm gonna go download the CARP out of this game! If not, I shall patiently await my disc, and continue my drawing practice like I SHOULD be doing, :)

To be clear, I have the Collector's Edition Kickstarter tier ($140 tier), which comes with the collector's edition boxed/physical copy, and 1 digital copy. Should I expect a second digital game key in my products, or not?

(Apologies for my being unclear on this -- I still don't know if Stryker's talking about two separate pledges/packages, or just the one with 2 copies, one physical and one digital)

So, wait... DOES every single physical copy get an extra/free "here, while you're waiting on your disc!" digital copy? If so... I'm gonna go download the CARP out of this game! If not, I shall patiently await my disc, and continue my drawing practice like I SHOULD be doing, :)

To be clear, I have the Collector's Edition Kickstarter tier ($140 tier), which comes with the collector's edition boxed/physical copy, and 1 digital copy. Should I expect a second digital game key in my products, or not?

(Apologies for my being unclear on this -- I still don't know if Stryker's talking about two separate pledges/packages, or just the one with 2 copies, one physical and one digital)

I had a single pledge that included two copies. 

From kickstarter: 

$65 pledge, "Previous reward tier + BOX VERSION OF PROJECT ETERNITY. The boxed copy will include a DVD version of the game and a printed manual. This is in addition to the digital version of the game (so 2 copies total!). Please add $15 for international shipping."

Good luck with your drawing. My Zbrush Sculpting is taking a back seat this weekend so I know your pain!
Edited by StrykerofChaos

I would also be interested in the outcome of this issue, as I also backed the $65 tier with the intent of giving away the digital copy and keeping the physical version for myself. I am not really frustrated at all by not being able to play yet since I anticipated the possibilty of not having the physical version on launch day, but at the same time, it would be nice to have another digital key if they are giving them out for situations like this.

I was hoping I'd have the package when I got home today, but it wasn't there. :Cant's chagrin grin icon: I'm not really worried. I'd like to have it, but I can wait. I could maybe play it a couple of hours tonight and then I'll be gone tomorrow. As for the digital copies, like other folks have said, I had two digital copies that were hero editions and I have the collector's edition box coming by snail mail.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not sure I understand the OP. The tier they backed comes with a retail box and a digital copy. The digital copy means they can play straight away. Why would they get two? I have a CE box coming and only one digital copy. The wording on the tier implies the same - two copies, one physical and one digital.

Should every backer be getting a second digital key?

• Like 1

The Dude abides.

I'm not sure I understand the OP. The tier they backed comes with a retail box and a digital copy. The digital copy means they can play straight away. Why would they get two? I have a CE box coming and only one digital copy. The wording on the tier implies the same - two copies, one physical and one digital.

A few weeks ago (Update 89) they presented the issue they would like to give people who ordered physical copies the chance to play on Day 1 even if the discs were late. To remedy this, they said physical copies would be given a digital key. 

Yes, I already had a digital key, but I ordered two copies of the game, and one was physical. I ordered two copies so two people could play it, so I still needed the second key. The first digital key (redeemed on steam) is only good for one person. 

You can find links to Update 89 and 90 here: 

They did take this into account in Update 89 ( http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70459-update-89-backer-rewards/ ) and then in Update 90 ( https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70586-update-90-shipping-and-strategy-guide/ )

They stated they would give out a digital key for all physical tiers so that we could play Day 1. I kickstarted TWO copies. A digital and a physical. This would imply that I would get a second digital key based on the poll results and their posts. It seems that they didn't take into account that I ordered two copies for two separate people, and now only one can play. 

I'm glad Stryker and I will get to play together at launch, which is what we intended when backing the game.

To try to clarify for those who are confused. Originally some tiers only came with a Boxed collectors edition, some came with one boxed, and one digital code. 

The reason a lot of people bought a tier with both a boxed version of the game, and a digital code for the game, was because they had people go in together on the kickstarter who wanted to both play the game, the example being my boyfriend and I. We also originally thought there would be multiplayer of course, but we share an office for our digital work stations and game stations, so we're still playing "together" so to speak.

Sometime awhile back, update 89/90? they announced the box editions would arrive a little late, and offered to give those people a digital copy on release so they could play the game still. So every tier that DIDN'T include a digital copy, now had one. However, those tiers that did come with a digital copy, because they meant to play with themselves and another person, did not get the same benefit, so someone in those groups were losing out because this only assisted the people who didn't originally order a digital copy of the game. 

So, yes, stryker complained that it wasn't fair that those who had the mind to order an edition that came with essentially 2 copies of the game would have to wait to play together were being left out of the equation against those who got a digital code for free with their boxed edition even though it's not what they originally backed for. So, I believe what Obsidian did was realize how this could be an issue.

So, people who just got the boxed version originally, got box + code.
People who got the boxed version and a digital version also only just got box + code.

See how this could be unfair?

A few weeks ago (Update 89) they presented the issue they would like to give people who ordered physical copies the chance to play on Day 1 even if the discs were late. To remedy this, they said physical copies would be given a digital key. 

Yes, I already had a digital key, but I ordered two copies of the game, and one was physical. I ordered two copies so two people could play it, so I still needed the second key. The first digital key (redeemed on steam) is only good for one person. 

You can find links to Update 89 and 90 here: 

When you say you 'ordered two copies of the game', do you mean your pledge included two copies?

The Dude abides.

From kickstarter: 

$65 pledge, "Previous reward tier + BOX VERSION OF PROJECT ETERNITY. The boxed copy will include a DVD version of the game and a printed manual. This is in addition to the digital version of the game (so 2 copies total!). Please add $15 for international shipping."

I would also be interested in the outcome of this issue, as I also backed the $65 tier with the intent of giving away the digital copy and keeping the physical version for myself. I am not really frustrated at all by not being able to play yet since I anticipated the possibilty of not having the physical version on launch day, but at the same time, it would be nice to have another digital key if they are giving them out for situations like this.

Same here--except the other copy is actually for my fiancé. I've made my character, but I promised not to do anything else until we get his copy :/ And I do not see any other key beyond the one I used. 

• Like 1

From kickstarter: 

Thanks for the response.

I'm still a little confused. I understand that you pledged at $65 expecting two copies, the physical copies have been held up, you're requesting a second copy. Coolio.

However, that's surely the case for many many backers. Everyone who pledged at the $140, for example... like me.

From KS:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/000/207/607/7524fb773e52b3fdcfc90e500702ac68_original.jpg?v=1350199584&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=2d6b02829bcb1d94b1f6419b35a3fd7a

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/000/207/611/4651c9c3fba4e7e61ebf853824e41448_original.jpg?v=1350199655&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=9dfedcc20b4fd209da216d7d34dbfc1f

Both came with one physical and one digital. Going by the logic presented here, I am also owed a key? Is that correct? As I only had one provided in the Backer Portal.

Thanks!

The Dude abides.

Hey @Lephys

I understand what their intent was. To make sure all users who ordered a physical tier could play on day one. It's a great idea because of the delay in shipping. However...the way they handled people who kickstarted a tier that contains both digital and physical copies got the shaft. They just assume one digital key is enough, that only one person is playing. I got two copies of the game so two people could play. It's a DRM-free disc, an extra digital key means nothing because that disc is essentially as many copies as I want. 

They offered a digital key to all physical tier backers. Just because I already have a digital key (for myself) doesn't mean that I don't need a digital key for the physical copy (for my girlfriend). It's a separate copy of the game. I ordered two copies. The fact that I ordered a digital copy should have NO WEIGHT on their offer of a digital key for physical tiers. Someone is still having to wait. 

For what it's worth I already contacted support, but I haven't yet received a reply and thought I'd come to the forums to discuss if this was a recurring issue. In my mind I should have received a digital key because that's what they promised. The "you dont get a 3rd copy" argument seems moot when the physical disc is DRM Free. That's how they are able to provide digital copies to begin with for physical tiers. 

It's an issue for my husband and me, also. I've no idea why they thought folks who ordered a tier with a physical and a digital copy wouldn't mind waiting until the intended users of those copies could both play.  The issue isn't wanting an "extra" copy. The issue is expecting Obsidian to deliver the game to backers by the release date. And Obsidian should have been aware of the issue because I brought it up in the poll thread.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

Yeah, I mean. It's not that I demand an extra copy. But, it makes sense, given the decision they made. The biggest problem was that some of the ways you could have backed (post-Kickstarter, methinks... since all Kickstarter tiers with physical copies had 1 digital copy accompanying them) lacked a digital copy. So, those people were just SOL, waiting for their disc. So, Obsidian kind-heartedly said "Hey, why don't we give you a digital key to use right now, in lieu of that disc you're waiting for?"

So, with that in mind, it does kind of beg the question "why does person A get a replacement key for their temporarily missing disc, but person B does not?"

It's not exactly reasonable to say "Oh, you knew, before you even clicked on the 'pledge' button that this tier was going to give you two copies of the game? Just negate all plans you had for 2 copies, and use that 2nd copy for yourself while you wait on the disc, 8D!"

So, yeah. I'm just curious now. It seemed, from previous threads addressing this question, that ONLY the people who already lacked any digital key whatsoever were going to be awarded a "bonus" key, so that they'd actually have some means of playing the game on day 1. But, if we do actually just get 1 key for every physical disc we're waiting on, regardless of tier, then I'll happily go download the game tonight, and just save my disc as a collectible.

If Stryker's tier was simply the $65 Kickstarter tier, then it would seem all instances of a physical disc are getting a free digital key to make up for the temporarily-missing disc. But, I'm not certain. I WOULD just go check my portal page, but I can't get to it right now. 8(