The Custom Portraits Thread

@peko

Did you mean the male one ("male_human_q")?

I had a go at pale-ifying it, and just for the lulz also made two variants with shifted background/clothing colors:

dSiTCwG.png59aIuEK.pngY1yx4Vx.pngPaLYRVc.png

sPyZTCK.pngQznI33j.pngETIZexo.pngS7vOH7z.png

(In case someone wants to play around with different colors, you can use this original and this layer mask.)

• Like 5

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Here we go Roy Batty in Eora:

A thosand thanks Mr Munk.

I wonder if there is a dove companion animal in game to complete this ensemble?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Another variation, now with black hood (for Pale Elf, Wood Elf and Meadow Human).

This is fun! :p

WM9oXU6.png  sUaSNp4.png  yqbfUaI.png

i3A47n2.png  8JSn9RT.png  uVTTmFz.png

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Thanks Ineth. I might use that one on a future run. Is there some easy way to change portraits in a game in progress. As much as I like my rogue's portrait, the one you made would actually be more in line with the actual setting.

bother?

I thought you can just click the little "eye" icon on the portrait in the character record screen, to change it? (Can't check right now.)

I thought you can just click the little "eye" icon on the portrait in the character record screen, to change it? (Can't check right now.)

Holy cow, you're right! I never knew that! Talk about overthinking everything.

bother?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not good in editing but maybe it will work for you. ^.^

1. Your picture without the face stuff.

85158597.png

Art by Luis Royo

Just saw your artful removal of the face stuff - really great work. I liked the tattoos, though (just not the blood tears Luis Royo so likes), so I took your image and the original one and blended them for a tattooed image, just without the blood tear. Then I cropped it to the right size(s), and voilá:

18046762.png13942547.png

Original art by Luis Royo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, just noticed my current avatar in this thread :)

---------------------

I've cropped few portraits for my new playthrough. Decided to share:

Aloth, a more mature alternative:

0RTiy1K.pngNjltFPf.pngnm3VpJi.png

ow3GKkW.pngVHAztl0.png

GM alternative:

P4jY8v8.png

nBBZDUQ.png

• Like 4

Right, I know 'good versus evil' isn't really a thing in Pillars of Eternity, but, still, for my secondary party of six, I set out to make a few sociopaths that could decidedly be considered evil. Of course I had to have matching portraits. I've named them...

The Unusual Suspects

A little bit strange, a little bit deranged ;)

Female Pale Elf Priestess:

female_elf_priest_lg.pngfemale_elf_priest_sm.png

Female Human Chanter:

female_human_chanter_lg.pngfemale_human_chanter_sm.png

Female Human Cipher:

female_human_cipher_lg.pngfemale_human_cipher_sm.png

Male Death Godlike Paladin:

male_godlike_death_pally1_lg.pngmale_godlike_death_pally1_sm.png

Male Human Druid:

male_human_druid_lg.pngmale_human_druid_sm.png

Male Feral Wild Orlan Rogue:
male_orlan_rogue_lg.pngmale_orlan_rogue_sm.png

Tried to use art that has somewhat likeliness available in game models :) Especially proud of the Death Godlike :w00t:

Bonus:

female_human_wizard_lg.pngfemale_human_wizard_sm.png

male_elf_chanter_lg.pngmale_elf_chanter_sm.png

male_godlike_death_pally2_lg.pngmale_godlike_death_pally2_sm.png

Edited by Hellwolve
  • Like 10

I'm still on my second playthrough, but I'm already preparing the portraits for my custom party after that. Here are some of them:

post-111143-0-06621000-1460780075_thumb.jpg

post-111143-0-58701700-1460780149_thumb.pngpost-111143-0-18323900-1460780157_thumb.pngpost-111143-0-72185500-1460780161.png

post-111143-0-40819500-1460780397_thumb.jpg

post-111143-0-01272700-1460780405_thumb.pngpost-111143-0-63471100-1460780408.png

post-111143-0-06874000-1460780515_thumb.jpgpost-111143-0-70400500-1460780524_thumb.pngpost-111143-0-53079400-1460780528.png

post-111143-0-28647100-1460780533_thumb.jpg

Edit: Some of the pictures in this post were in the wrong size (smaller). Here are the correct ones for PoE:

female_elf_portrait_1_lg.png female_elf_portrait_1_sm.png

female_human_human3_lg.png female_human_human3_sm.png

female_human_human4_lg.pngfemale_human_human4_sm.png

female_human_human7_lg.pngfemale_human_human7_sm.png

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 2

sign.jpg

Hey guys, this is my first post! I was trolling through these forums looking for awesome portraits and then I saw Ineth's post and it inspired me to try my own hand at coloring Obsidian's wonderful portraits! I decided on Aumaua 'cause there's not nearly enough of them, stupid humies crowding all the dev time =) I am basically a huge newb when it comes to photo editing, but I worked really hard on these so I figured I'd give them to anyone who thinks they look ok. If anyone thinks they look weird or bad or w/e, I'd appreciate any feedback!

Also, I have the .xcf file where I divided a bunch of stuff in the original image into separate layers; if anyone wants it to try to color it themselves or w/e, I'd be glad to upload it.

EDIT: I changed the portraits a tiny bit, hope they still look ok; I'm planning to color edit the other aumaua image or a dwarf next, hope they turn out ok

WzYWeaj.pngfeWWp6M.png5T7u4Iv.png

cYXn5oI.pngLAwV45t.pngOtWP0dY.png

Edited by ActionAlligator
  • Like 4

Ahoy mateys, I have brought you more images. Again, I tried to keep the colors close to what you can get in the character creation, so I hope someone can enjoy them!

Also, I discovered the smudge tool is my friend, boy is it a pain editing stuff out and in and trying to have everything blend in the end!

P.S. TY Obsidian for the beautiful artwork =)

qEHiOAP.png4K8jLKQ.pngt940EKr.png

6KIJQ7l.pngOB5Y9iM.png52WEk4c.png

• Like 3

Ahoy mateys, I have brought you more images. Again, I tried to keep the colors close to what you can get in the character creation, so I hope someone can enjoy them!

Also, I discovered the smudge tool is my friend, boy is it a pain editing stuff out and in and trying to have everything blend in the end!

P.S. TY Obsidian for the beautiful artwork =)

qEHiOAP.png4K8jLKQ.pngt940EKr.png

6KIJQ7l.pngOB5Y9iM.png52WEk4c.png

Second set is considerably better.  My only suggestion would be to take caution when adding in the armor.  Try not to make it all one color especially if they are almost all midtones or highly saturated.  It makes the armor look "flat".

For the one where you edited it to be red for example I would have gone somewhere like.... this....

f9Sd3pK.png

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

Second set is considerably better.  My only suggestion would be to take caution when adding in the armor.  Try not to make it all one color especially if they are almost all midtones or highly saturated.  It makes the armor look "flat".

Thanks for the tip! Honestly, I haven't touched photoshop (well, GIMP in this case) in like....~10 years, and even then I just made *really* crappy/amateur forum sigs, so I really have no clue what I'm doing. I do agree that my edits take away from the more natural look Obsidian put in their portraits, but with the armor, I could only get the 'colorize' option to color the armor without any weird color fragments. Also, do the eyes also stick out too much? It was hard for me to notice the eye color without the saturation, and I really like more visible eyes in my portraits, adds personality. I can fiddle around with the saturation more, is that basically your problem with the first set, it 'pops' too much? Thanks again!

I didn't know that Andy Warhol plays PoE

Guessing that's a criticism? Sorry D= I really did try to avoid making them obnoxious looking. I'll try my hand again; when I was coloring them, I was minimizing and maximizing the game to compare color, and so I think I changed the portraits to uh...'pop out' as much as the colored aumaua models, which doesn't match the artwork where the coloring is more natural, subtle colors.

Thanks for the tip! Honestly, I haven't touched photoshop (well, GIMP in this case) in like....~10 years, and even then I just made *really* crappy/amateur forum sigs, so I really have no clue what I'm doing. I do agree that my edits take away from the more natural look Obsidian put in their portraits, but with the armor, I could only get the 'colorize' option to color the armor without any weird color fragments. Also, do the eyes also stick out too much? It was hard for me to notice the eye color without the saturation, and I really like more visible eyes in my portraits, adds personality. I can fiddle around with the saturation more, is that basically your problem with the first set, it 'pops' too much? Thanks again!

Not at all, for someone trying this for the first time you did great!  My personal tips would be ... use just a shapeless selection tool to pic the specific area you want to work with.  Then create a new layer.  Take your selection and fill it with something like a red or whatever.  Then set the transparency on the layer to 50% maybe even less.  Then you can just colorize that layer as much as you want to get an idea of how it will look in different shades.  Once you have an idea of where you want to go just merge the layer down and do some contrast adjustment to make sure things stay dark so black is black etc but don't over due it.  Then if you need to adjust highlights just pic a mid tone, make it lighter, and go in with a very low spread and pressure airbrush with decent opacity like at least 50 and just touch up where you want it lightened.  If it "pops" too much just do a few light taps with blur.

I make it sound complex but it isn't that bad and it really works well.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

For example it did take me about 25 minutes, but using basically the techniques I described up top I took what I felt was the worst of the first set of images.  The one with the bright gold armor.  The key thing is I made no changes to the face or the background, all I did was color correction, some highlighting, and decided to go the extra mile and do color changes to the rivets and shoulder pad edging which is actually where most of the 25 minutes went.

Just so show it isn't the color it is just the saturation/lack of contrast I am going to put your original beside it too.

fG5ynaP.pngfeWWp6M.png

Please bear in mind, not ragging on you at all.  I am just trying to give you some ideas so you can up your game a bit ;) I am a big fan of anyone out there doing custom portrait work for eternity, bad ass elite portrait maker and pure novice alike.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Oh, don't worry about 'ragging' me =) It's so obvious you're trying to be helpful, and you are, and I appreciate it! I really like the edit you did, and I agree my gold is way too saturated, but after those edits (again, really good!), it now looks more bronze than gold, and that's the problem I was having as a novice, it seemed like every time I wanted a specific color, I had to turn saturation or brightness up to actually get gold rather than a snot yellow or something, doh. I followed your advice and these are what I came up with; does it look unsaturated enough? One on the right looks better (more shadow on the shoulders)?

Fq4j87B.pngqn1lhu7.png

bCo7YlO.png

Also, just curious, I know you edited that image just as an example, but do you also think the face coloration is too saturated as well, or did you think it looked ok? I made it a little transparent to try and make it pop a little less, but not sure if it needs more maybe?

I also edited this image as well, dunno if it looks better

bU26GZC.png

FGKWH5y.png

Thanks again for all the help! =)

Edited by ActionAlligator
  • Like 3