The Custom Portraits Thread

pale elves look like vampires.

hhmmmm vampires.

not that ones that sparkle in sunlight, but a REAL vampire.

(cough)

Wait what no black hair alskdjlfksjdflk

but ALOTH has black hair.

..or was that dark blue?

Aloth  :wub:  

...It should be illegal to be that fine. 8) or adorkable ♥

am gonna admit that the more portraits people share, the more we realize we is satisfied with what obsidian provided.  can get our own stuff if we wish, but if the obsidians used boardie tastes as a guide, Gromnir would be most unhappy. a collection o' boy band cast-offs  and failed supermodels... but with elf ears. super-models with elf ears and a bit o' grime or gore for the grimdark posters?

we applaud the artists who has created their own stuff and offered it for community use, and we has seen a couple interesting images, but for the most part...

*shrug*

is easy enough to find our own images.  a few more ooh mau mau would be worth obsidian consideration, but otherwise, am happy with what shipped with the game and our own collected images.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Personally I don't think I'll be using any portraits.  I'll just grab a screenshot of the character as I'm making it, pop that into an editor, make a portrait of the actual character and use that.  Only way you can really get a pic that actually looks like your character anyway.

Personally I don't think I'll be using any portraits.  I'll just grab a screenshot of the character as I'm making it, pop that into an editor, make a portrait of the actual character and use that.  Only way you can really get a pic that actually looks like your character anyway.

I don't think the in-game graphics are up to par for that purpose.

Considering the angle and max zoom distance we get with the game, I find the actual character appearance to not matter overmuch. It's the portraits that I associate with the characters.

am gonna admit that the more portraits people share, the more we realize we is satisfied with what obsidian provided.  can get our own stuff if we wish, but if the obsidians used boardie tastes as a guide, Gromnir would be most unhappy. a collection o' boy band cast-offs  and failed supermodels... but with elf ears. super-models with elf ears and a bit o' grime or gore for the grimdark posters?

we applaud the artists who has created their own stuff and offered it for community use, and we has seen a couple interesting images, but for the most part...

*shrug*

is easy enough to find our own images.  a few more ooh mau mau would be worth obsidian consideration, but otherwise, am happy with what shipped with the game and our own collected images.

HA! Good Fun!

jSGRPfK.jpgNr3qv9Y.jpg

I will probably use the first one in my next play through.

• Like 1

Considering the angle and max zoom distance we get with the game, I find the actual character appearance to not matter overmuch. It's the portraits that I associate with the characters.

I saw someone do it and it didn't look half bad.  The problem is I'll pick a portrait and then try to make the avatar match it, which is all but impossible in most cases.

• Like 1

I saw someone do it and it didn't look half bad.  The problem is I'll pick a portrait and then try to make the avatar match it, which is all but impossible in most cases.

am less concerned about having our avatar exact match the portrait than we is with the portrait matching our idealized appearance Or concept o' the character.  gotta ooh mau mau islander priest character with the merchant background-- former sea captain option.  named him Ahab. am using a couple gregory peck images from moby **** for our portraits... public domain o'course. gregory peck does not look like the avatar we use and that suits us just fine.  the poe avatars is perfectly functional, but the options to customize them is limited and they is kinda crude.  no uncanny valley issues with the poe avatars, eh? 

obsidian portraits are adequate. boardie recommendations, on the other hand, induce in us the heebie jeebies.  am not joking when we observe that we find the popular aesthetic a bit disconcerting.  am increasingly satisfied with obsidian's work product given what we see as the possible alternatives.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I need a good female dwarf chanter one :)

dolly-parton.jpg?w=650

am recalling she is a smidge under 5'.

HA! Good Fun!

Found a link to some PoE portrait art by Jason Seow. It was posted by him to Reddit.

Oh man, the Orlan he just posted is fantastic.

Nnnn, need more male Orlan portraits!

Damn, the Orlan pic on that link is amazingly good.

The godlike pics don't do much for me, but to be fair, the entire godlike concept doesn't do much for me in the first place.  Different strokes and all that.

Here's my party. The blond guy is Eder -- I didn't like his default portrait. The other PCs are custom. The orc-lookin' dude is how I like to picture my Aumaua barbarian.

I swiped the portraits from a variety of online resources and other video games, and cropped them for PoE. I cropped dozens more portraits like this, but I'm reluctant to share them because I didn't make them.

282f7ms.png

After some 30 minutes googling, these were pretty much all the portraits i could find that i feel are suitable for orlans : 

dont have source for any of them, though i *think* the second and last one are from some mmorpg

zeTQntr.png

NWqwB47.png

xhpeSF8.png

dbKFLcD.png

vq1LRTV.png

Edited by Xosmi

xosmi.gif

don't need more orlan.  there is dozens o' orlan images available.

Pricing-gremlins2.jpg

friendly orlan

movies-gremlins.jpg

sinister orlan

etc.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

don't need more orlan.  there is dozens o' orlan images available.

rofl.gif ...good one, Grom, good one.

I don't feel quite as strongly about it as you/some may, but I'm not all that into supermodel looking chrs either. Not that I mind an attractive guy/gal portrait and sometimes that's what I want. But most of the time I like ones that look less like they came out of a photoshopped Cosmo or GQ spread with their mega-cheekbones and perfect symmetry and more like "real people." Less perfect.

The godlike pics don't do much for me, but to be fair, the entire godlike concept doesn't do much for me in the first place.  Different strokes and all that.

Same, although for me it's all non-humans, really. I'm not that into the "looks like a human except they have green skin or pig/shark heads or scales on their face" stuff, like so much of fantasy/sci-fi does. Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons (a lot less work) but not really my thing. So I tend to just stick with human is human. Or elves, who just like Spock, are mostly about the pointy ears.

I'd love it if some companions in games more often were things like a giant silicate centipede, a floating pyramid-shaped creature that spins and sends spells/energy out of its top when attacking (both of those come from books I read) - totally non-humanistic creatures.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hey guys, how's it going?

I've made a small human pack with some of the images I've found along the weeks. It countains 12 human male and 12 human female portraits (and one female elven).

I know you guys would like more aumanas or godlikes but we take what we can find. sad.png

I hope it helps someone!

Previews:

23066e634c.jpg

446e1a9866.jpg

Link: http://puu.sh/hlXkW/da18524697.rar

• Like 2

I like that Game of Thrones woman.

I keep thinking Walter White (Breaking Bad) might make a good game portrait. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still struggling to get a decent fire godlike portrait. Any suggestions?

>picture snippage<

Give me a few days' time and I can make one.  Been planning to make a fire godlike portrait anyway.  What base race?  Can't tell if he's an aumaua or human.

Edited by Sable Phoenix