The Custom Portraits Thread

I collected a bunch of custom portraits early on just cause I like option but now that I'm set playing an Orlan I'm stuck with whatever portraits the game comes with since there really aren't any suitable alternatives out there, and from what I've seen none of them really light my fire. They're not bad by any means, they're all quite good, but none of them stick out to me as my character. 

Yeah, the non-standard fantasy races are particularly hard to find. When I tried searching for Godlike, they were either too human or too alien. I didn't bother with Orlan because I knew I would just get a bunch of furry pics.

Well, if you are photoshop savvy, the easiest way to get a custom Orlan picture would be to edit some Goblin pictures to make them little bit more hairy :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's Warick Davis. The little Ewok in Star Wars.

Also known as Willow from "Willow" :D

I picture Warrick sitting in his leprechaun outfit gritting teeth, when peter dincklige talks about how he would never demean himself by playing a fantasy creature.

Merged with the Orlan thread. Let's keep the discussion here on topic of custom portraits. I think we've had our fill of the IP discussion, and it'l be nice to keep a repository of portrait links and the like.

I never understood why most people like playing with an evil looking hooded rogue or female super model likes, with no pernonality whatsoever in the portrait.

Yeah even playing games like Skyrim I can't make myself use the mods that make your characters look like super models and such. I always go for a little more realism. I don't mind them looking good, but with dirty skin, realistic colored hair and eyes, and hair styles that don't look like they just came out of a salon.

I never understood why most people like playing with an evil looking hooded rogue or female super model likes, with no pernonality whatsoever in the portrait.

Yeah even playing games like Skyrim I can't make myself use the mods that make your characters look like super models and such. I always go for a little more realism. I don't mind them looking good, but with dirty skin, realistic colored hair and eyes, and hair styles that don't look like they just came out of a salon.

Let's be totally honest here: Skyrim character models just looked totally alien and I rather play as a supermodel than those uncanny-valley abominations of Skyrim.

I'm not sure what you refer to as "female super model", but when it comes to a hooded rogue, there can be *plenty* of personality in the portrait.

But ... but ... it doesn't jiggle.

• Like 1

Let's be totally honest here: Skyrim character models just looked totally alien and I rather play as a supermodel than those uncanny-valley abominations of Skyrim.

As compared to what? The character models improved greatly from MW to OB to Skyrim. Add a few mods to that and you should be able to get what you want.

What I'm looking for in this thread (and I'm not finding it) are portraits of males, ranger or druid types and also fighter types. A clean image that fits well with the other art in the game. I'm pretty well versed in PaintShop so I can find my own and make my own (which I'm sure I'll do) but I'm looking to see what others have found.

I generally do not share those images I make though as I feel like if I did I would need to give full credit to the original artist. The only time I did share was for BG2 when I made several from 3D images I made when I used to play with Poser a lot. I don't mind sharing things I make myself. It did feel a little odd when I'd see my images in other people's portrait packs or the image itself was edited, but finally resolved myself to just consider that a form of flattery and didn't let it bother me.

I took this image and edited it down to size

dragonwoman_mylwaye2_by_liangxinxin-d6us

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Here it is!  For the life of me I couldn't find this thread last night, so I made my own, but this really belongs here.

f6aa300e8914db0baf1c503aadfe36ee-d8n5zop

My custom-painted portrait for my first character, an elven Moon Godlike, based on the bottom right character model here.  Still don't know if she'll be Cipher or Chanter, but leaning toward the latter.

I tried to emulate the style of portrait painting already existing in the game, especially of the one found here, but I don't think I succeeded very well at that.

Edited by Sable Phoenix
  • Like 10

The portraits I took for this thread (ty guys) are not appearing ingame...I placed them in the art/gui/portraits/player/female or male folder. Theres something else I need to do?

What did you name them?  What kind of files are they?  What sizes?

I collected a bunch of custom portraits early on just cause I like option but now that I'm set playing an Orlan I'm stuck with whatever portraits the game comes with since there really aren't any suitable alternatives out there, and from what I've seen none of them really light my fire. They're not bad by any means, they're all quite good, but none of them stick out to me as my character. 

I'm playing Orlan as well...just a tip, find the portraits in your Steam folder and open them up in paint.net, you can alter the colors with the hue adjustment. This made it a lot more bearable using the default portraits because I could at least make it have green skin lol