The Custom Portraits Thread

well its probably a fight against windmills in the Internet :|

It's a fight she won't win. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be better if the artist just accept it and let everyone enjoy her work for whatever purpose they deem most satisfactory.

In this day and age, the audience wins, the end. Every alternate portrait in this thread that is sourced from an unnamed artist is proof of that. The creative commons is common to all regardless of the wishes of content creators, and there is no taking it back the moment the pixels hit  the network.

Edited by Havelok
  • Like 3

It's a fight she won't win. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it would be better if the artist just accept it and let everyone enjoy her work for whatever purpose they deem most satisfactory.

In this day and age, the audience wins, the end. Every alternate portrait in this thread that is sourced from an unnamed artist is proof of that. The creative commons is common to all regardless of the wishes of content creators, and there is no taking it back the moment the pixels hit  the network.

well copyright is a fickle thing and vastly outdated when it comes to the internetz.

Still expecting everyone to shhare a communist / anarchic view on that is wrong as well.

i think somewhere down the line the one who want to share will loose out like its always. Because the people who dont (for whatever reason, like wanting to sell their creations) will need to force this behavior into submission. Well we will see, this is not the right topic to debate copyright and the internet in a century

do you think if you're a big enough **** to her she'll give in and "set her work free" according to your "mandala code" or whatever, or are you just doing it for the pleasure of being a ****?

is it so hard to credit someone's work? her name is already on the image! it takes more work to erase it!

• Like 3

Please stop this nonsense in this thread. She has been whining in her thread for few days.

Now she is pulling an art drama queen in this thread.

If you don't want your work to be used freely on the INTERWEBZ, don't post it on the forums, where her portraits are just images to 90% of users for an upcoming game.

It's like putting a statue in the public park and when someone takes a picture of it, running up to them and asking them to put credits on the pic.

This was a very interesting thread until miss copyright showed up. Lets keep the portraits coming folks!

• Like 7

do you think if you're a big enough **** to her she'll give in and "set her work free" according to your "mandala code" or whatever, or are you just doing it for the pleasure of being a ****?

is it so hard to credit someone's work? her name is already on the image! it takes more work to erase it!

I'd rather convince someone through calm rational discourse then resort to insults and superlatives. I'm simply relating reality. If you review my posts I haven't explicitly broken her wish to preserve copyright, merely suggested that such efforts are fruitless and damaging. 

It honestly makes me sad to see to see another artist get upset about this sort of thing. She is very talented, and It would be tragic if she stopped producing artwork because of a misconception regarding how content ownership works in the age of information.  

• Like 4

I believe you should always respect an artists wishes and where possible give them credit where due.  However I also know that once something is out there, it is out there, and no one will ever use a portrait in their portrait pack or game if it has a watermark on it.  To quote an Inn Guard most of us have met.... Common sense rules the day.  We should try to be more respectful about the concerns of all artists and their work regardless though.  On the other hand from the artist side please try to understand people using your work this way is actually complimentary to you and shows their regard for the quality of your work, even if they are using it in a way you don't like.

• Like 5

I'd rather convince someone through calm rational discourse then resort to insults and superlatives. I'm simply relating reality. If you review my posts I haven't explicitly broken her wish to preserve copyright, merely suggested that such efforts are fruitless and damaging. 

It honestly makes me sad to see to see another artist get upset about this sort of thing. She is very talented, and It would be tragic if she stopped producing artwork because of a misconception regarding how content ownership works in the age of information.  

yeah I'm pretty sure it's the people being raging aholes that are more likely to stop her producing work, but you keep on mr rational "mandala creed."

• Like 2

Belittling rationality, never thought I'd see the day. /s

Loving the portraits everyone, keep it up as was said earlier.

The Adventures of Abattoir, my Pillars of Eternity Let's Play! Following Abattoir, an Aumaua-sized Death Godlike Cipher who wishes to prove to the world that Death Godlikes can be trustworthy and helpful, while getting caught in some terrible circumstances.

On that grounds, we should can law enforcement, morals, basic decent behavior  and everything else too. Let's not even try to do anything right, or teach people to..because you can never fix everything.  Because people do what ever, all the time. Sorry, .... but no deal!

I am really beginning to wonder, what kind of "creative commons" you are talking about.

I used to think you are talking about "free" licenses... but that can obviously not be it. 

As far as I know, those -do- feature the decision to allow changes or not, and also attribution“. As in giving credit to the creator.

It's not like I -asked- to have discussions about this stuff.

I just meant to share some paintings. I did not know, people would attack me or that basic human decency is something terrible and alien here.

It's not really like I asked much of people, behaving more or less decent would work just fine.

• Like 4

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

This sort of thing makes me wish I had some form of artistic talent.

Yep. Right now I really, really, really wish I could make an awesome portrait for a Vailian female rogue with swashbuckling tendencies.

Narrowed it down to two choices from links up above. Either: 

PillarsofEternityCharacterPortrait63.jpg

or...

TVyUnyu.png

• Like 1

My vote is the purple one.

The purple one seems custom designed for it, but apparently it's an 'official' portrait. I'll regret not having a custom one that I can semi call my own. 

But yeah, purple one it is.

Did you do that or did someone else?

I think I made it pretty clear, that I do not appreciate my work being posted cropped or without backlink. (Not that I should have to.)

This is essentially both.

Is some of your work in that package?

The more likely outcome is simply that she'll stop making portraits and posting them online. How is that an improvement?

Seriously: she's not asking for much -- only credit, a backlink, and not reposting modified versions. That's more than reasonable. 

I know there will continue to be thoughtless people who will happily continue to do this thing, but we can at the very least stop encouraging it. There are few enough people out there willing to have their stuff reused anyway.

(FWIW this is one reason I've mostly stopped publishing stuff on the Net under my own name or an identity that's associated with any of my public personas. It's not the misuse -- it's the nerd rage from people who feel entitled to misusing it when called out on it.)

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It seems pretty fair to ask for people not to spread edited versions of their artwork. If you want to edit an image for your playthroughs of PoE there is no need to also paste your edit all over the internet.

I like this response...something to remember/keep in mind, perhaps.

Not entirely related maybe but what always gets me is when someone makes a small change to someone else's work then post it with their own watermark as if Photoshopping the color of a cape or putting "lol" text over a photo now means it's their totally original creation. :disguise:

The internet has become a great community place for sharing interests, but sometimes it's a two-edged sword.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Is there a way to edit or delete posts? I wanted to edit my post (#86) to remove the edited pic. I assumed the poe portrait pack would of have artists approval. But after reading though this thread I would rather not be murdered in my sleep by some angry artist that didn't know that there pic was in there if it didn't :/ . Can a mod help with that maybe?  

I am but a lowly internet dweller that wanted to help others have a female godlike portrait plz do not sue me  

Edited by TheGoatMan

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

Is there a way to edit or delete posts? I wanted to edit my post (#86) to remove the edited pic. I assumed the poe portrait pack would of have artists approval. But after reading though this thread I would rather not be murdered in my sleep by some angry artist that didn't know that there pic was in there if it didn't :/ . Can a mod help with that maybe?  [/size]

(Edit: ah, didn't realize it was the pack posted earlier, I think - the thought was in the right place tho.) You gave a source credit link and certainly made it clear it was your edit, so it doesn't seem worthy of being assassinated in your sleep. wink.png But I can certainly edit your post if you wish, and will do so.

I'd also like to say that there isn't a moratorium on sharing avatars/portraits etc. - but if an artist sees something and makes a request about their work, we here have to respect that.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LoL when I have put Orlan Character Portraits into Google Image Search, this is what I got among the first few results :facepalm:

545925bd403325c65b28e829722ff304.jpg

Not sure, if that would fit your roleplay style though :p

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours