The Custom Portraits Thread

Here's a pic of my friend I edited using Keldorn's pic from BG2.  I plan on replacing Eder with him. Also can anyone explain the edit policy on this site?  Do you have to post so many times before you can edit freely?  Thanks.

ederl_zpsaikhgphm.png

Edited by Meepichi
  • Like 1

Well, I though I'd go through my DA faves to see if anything would fit the bill ... there isn't that much, but I still found a few.

Some are fanarts of other games - or even art made for other games - so you might find those jarring to your suspension of disbeleeeeeeeeef, and the styles don't fit 100%, but I reckon they're worth a look.

You'll have to crop them yourself, I'm not gonna post edits of other people's art.

Male Human Noble something?

Female ... Human/Elf .. Druid?

Male Human Rogue Noble gogogo :p

Dorf

Female Human Rogue-ish I guess?

Crop the drow-spiders and she'll work as a pale elf kinda

Female Human uh ... Priest? Druid?

Its even called Pale Elf

Male Human Bowguy

Dorf

Elven Wizard or something

Male Human Paladin type

Old Paladin

Female Barbarian

Death Godlike Cypher almost kinda?

Asian doesn't really fit setting but its so badass ...

Ranger Gal?

Imoen

Female Human Druid I guess

Warrior?

Paladin

Well its called Warrior ...

Male Human Rogue

• Like 1

Here's a pic of my friend I edited using Keldorn's pic from BG2.  I plan on replacing Eder with him. Also can anyone explain the edit policy on this site?  Do you have to post so many times before you can edit freely?  Thanks.

ederl_zpsaikhgphm.png

Yep, it's 5 I think. Feel free to doublepost or PM a mod for edit needs in the meantime. (We should really just get rid of that sometime.)

Custom Portraits Pack (61 images)

Did you do that or did someone else?

I think I made it pretty clear, that I do not appreciate my work being posted cropped or without backlink. (Not that I should have to.)

This is essentially both.

Aside from obviously no credit being given to any of the other artists either.

But it's pretty obvious,  many people here have no respect for artists , their work, or their rights, whatsoever.

• Like 9

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

I've never understood why some artists get so upset when someone wants to use their art for a game.  It's not like they're trying to make money from it or anything.  If someone wanted to use something I made I'd be very happy about it!

• Like 3

I've never understood why some artists get so upset when someone wants to use their art for a game.  It's not like they're trying to make money from it or anything.  If someone wanted to use something I made I'd be very happy about it!

I am not upset about people using them in-game, I am upset because my wishes and rights are freaking disrespected.

Because people want to use -everything- at their leisure, but usually it's too much work for them, to even give freaking credit!

I put hours-over-hours into my portraits, and it's apparently too much to ask, that people do not post them cropped and  link back to me.

I have just been told in another thread, that I have -no right- to write my name on my freaking work, and that my rights just don't matter. And this just adds to it.

So I have all right to be angry.

Edited by Wespenfresser
  • Like 12

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

That is like saying that you don't understand why some developers don't when people share their game to other people without their permission, even though nobody is trying to make money by doing so.

People generally don't like when they work is used without their permission, especially when they don't even credit for the work.

And in this case problem is not that person has something against people using her art in game, but that they share that art without giving her credit for that art.

• Like 2

I think I made it pretty clear, that I do not appreciate my work being posted cropped or without backlink. (Not that I should have to.)

But it's pretty obvious,  many people here have no respect for artists , their work, or their rights, whatsoever.

Just remove your portraits from these forums. You  post on a public forum and expect people not to use them?

• Like 4

Huh. I have been using images from Google search for years for my character portraits in these games. It simply never occurred to me to find out who painted the image and get their permission. Sorry.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

That is like saying that you don't understand why some developers don't when people share their game to other people without their permission, even though nobody is trying to make money by doing so.

People generally don't like when they work is used without their permission, especially when they don't even credit for the work.

And in this case problem is not that person has something against people using her art in game, but that they share that art without giving her credit for that art.

All I can say to that is If you didn't want them to be used you should've never posted them or put a huge watermark on it so it'd be very difficult to do so.  

However I'd be a bit upset too if someone told me I couldn't put my name on my art. That's ridiculous.  If they know who the artist is and know they asked people to at least give them credit for their work then yeah they should do it.  I personally have no idea who has drawn the stuff I've edited so I can't give them any credit.  I don't take credit for myself tho, I always say that I've edited the pics I work with.

I think the artist has been very clear that they're not objecting to the art being used, only that those posting or reposting the art on the internet are modifying the art and not giving credit to the creator.

Simple internet etiquette, guys. Has nothing to do with you using the art in the game.

• Like 6

Just remove your portraits from these forums. You  post on a public forum and expect people not to use them?

When asking for being credited for your work become equal to excepting people not to use your work?

I expect people to show some general respect/be fair. That means, when re-posting it, they should give credit and not crop my name.  I am really not asking much here.

Huh. I have been using images from Google search for years for my character portraits in these games. It simply never occurred to me to find out who painted the image and get their permission. Sorry.

If you are just personally using art in-game, you do not need to.

But if you re-post it online, it's -at least- expected to post a link back to the artist. You may not be allowed to post it either way, but you at least try to be fair. Most of the time, that is enough.

Cropping signatures/watermarks is usually not appreciated, especially because people are often unable or unwilling to understand, that giving credit is important.

I am sure you can imagine, that if a piece gets re-postet without any indication as to who the artist is, that just continues like that. And at times, that even makes it really difficult to find the artist , even if you try.

All I can say to that is If you didn't want them to be used you should've never posted them or put a huge watermark on it so it'd be very difficult to do so.  

However I'd be a bit upset too if someone told me I couldn't put my name on my art. That's ridiculous.  If they know who the artist is and know they asked people to at least give them credit for their work then yeah they should do it.  I personally have no idea who has drawn the stuff I've edited so I can't give them any credit.  I don't take credit for myself tho, I always say that I've edited the pics I work with.

Funny, other people accused me of the watermark being to intrusive. I actually intended them to be cropped and used in-game, I just asked them to not be reposted like that.

While I appreciate, that you state you just edited the stuff you do, It's problematic anyways, to do edits of peoples art, without proper permission.

Still, it's always better to at least -try- to give credit.

Edited by Wespenfresser
  • Like 8

I've added background from Aloth's portrait to this image in an effort to make it a bit more in PE's style:

SYPQsrH.png

Could any Photoshop wizards try to remove the hand and the staff as well as those white specks from it, please? I've tried for a while, but the results were far from satisfactory. Would be much appreciated. :)

I have just been told in another thread, that I have -no right- to write my name on my freaking work, and that my rights just don't matter. 

Luckily, the 2 or 3 loudmouths who were going on and on and on about that were put in their place by a mod stepping in and removing the ripped version of your work without your watermark. The sad thing is that it is apparently a battle you cannot win. People will rip, steal and plunder because they want that one portrait for their game and saying "hey thank you, artist!" by adding some credits when re-publishing someone else's work is too much work for them. In science failing to do so would rightfully cost you your head, but this is the internet where people can just grab without having to spend 60 seconds to acknowledge someone else's hard work. It's probably not much consolation, but you are in good company: see how many dozens of millions rip high quality movies and series like Game of Thrones from torrent sites for free...

The standard here is 'use with permission'. Obsidian can't be a resource for material that is used without permission regardless of how used we have gotten to the concept of portrait packs. 

That means when someone reports that he is not happy with the use of his material that has to be respected.

• Like 5

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Luckily, the 2 or 3 loudmouths who were going on and on and on about that were put in their place by a mod stepping in and removing the ripped version of your work without your watermark. The sad thing is that it is apparently a battle you cannot win. People will rip, steal and plunder because they want that one portrait for their game and saying "hey thank you, artist!" by adding some credits when re-publishing someone else's work is too much work for them. In science failing to do so would rightfully cost you your head, but this is the internet where people can just grab without having to spend 60 seconds to acknowledge someone else's hard work. It's probably not much consolation, but you are in good company: see how many dozens of millions rip high quality movies and series like Game of Thrones from torrent sites for free...

Well, it would be a little better without feeling, like it's being pushed in my face and I am being told I have to like it...

I am around, after all.

The standard here is 'use with permission'. Obsidian can't be a resource for material that is used without permission regardless of how used we have gotten to the concept of portrait packs. 

That means when someone reports that he is not happy with the use of his material that has to be respected.

Thank you. A question though, is there a way to edit my original posting of the pictures here in the forum, so that the Issue is a little bit clearer?

It probably won't help, but I'd still like it to be as clear as possible. I fear the original posting is not as clear as it should be.

i would really love to see more Orlan (Wild Orlan in my case) pictures, but its probably just too niche.

I only have one. I did plan on more, because I like them. But then..things happend.:/