The Custom Portraits Thread

lf9tgg4.png

HUu3PVl.png

^

I'm going to be using this for my Thyrtan

Human, it's pretty cool and totally fits him.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 4

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I collected a bunch of custom portraits early on just cause I like option but now that I'm set playing an Orlan I'm stuck with whatever portraits the game comes with since there really aren't any suitable alternatives out there, and from what I've seen none of them really light my fire. They're not bad by any means, they're all quite good, but none of them stick out to me as my character. 

Yeah, the non-standard fantasy races are particularly hard to find. When I tried searching for Godlike, they were either too human or too alien. I didn't bother with Orlan because I knew I would just get a bunch of furry pics.

FHUSO01_L.png

How about this for a Fire Godlike?

If I was playing a female Fire Godlike wizard, that is *exactly* the picture I would want to use.

This sort of thing makes me wish I had some form of artistic talent.

Why wish when you can start today? Sucking at something is the first step on the road to being skilled. Every time you make something that sucks, that another lesson in what *not to do*. Give it a few years and you will hardly suck at all!

Source: Was horrible at lots of cool things, now I am not so horrible.

Edited by Havelok
  • Like 2

Why wish when you can start today? Sucking at something is the first step on the road to being skilled. Every time you make something that sucks, that another lesson in what *not to do*. Give it a few years and you will hardly suck at all!

That's not entirely true. Skill and desire take you so far; talent takes you the rest of the way. There are also certain physical and medical conditions that can limit your ability; for example, I have sever tremors so therefore, I will never be capable of drawing a straight line. That doesn't mean I'll never be able to draw, but it does mean that all the time and dedication in the world will never allow me to draw a "correct" stickman. :-D

That's not entirely true. Skill and desire take you so far; talent takes you the rest of the way. There are also certain physical and medical conditions that can limit your ability; for example, I have sever tremors so therefore, I will never be capable of drawing a straight line. That doesn't mean I'll never be able to draw, but it does mean that all the time and dedication in the world will never allow me to draw a "correct" stickman. 

As a stereotypically talented person I don't believe in talent. 

Physical disability is a whole 'nother ballgame, but I firmly believe that every (average) human being can learn to do whatever they please. My belief is backed up by scientific evidence on the psychological side of things. Most people underachieve because they believe they cannot achieve, not because of any built in limitation. The brain is ridiculously malleable, you just have to force it to change. 

Anyway this is a digression. If you'd like to chat more about the topic please PM.

Yeah, the non-standard fantasy races are particularly hard to find. When I tried searching for Godlike, they were either too human or too alien. I didn't bother with Orlan because I knew I would just get a bunch of furry pics.

FHUSO01_L.png

If I was playing a female Fire Godlike wizard, that is *exactly* the picture I would want to use.

I'd use it for a monk with armor myself.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

That's not entirely true. Skill and desire take you so far; talent takes you the rest of the way. There are also certain physical and medical conditions that can limit your ability; for example, I have sever tremors so therefore, I will never be capable of drawing a straight line. That doesn't mean I'll never be able to draw, but it does mean that all the time and dedication in the world will never allow me to draw a "correct" stickman. :-D

Get GIMP - start new image - select paintbrush, click anywhere on canvas, hold down shift, click anywhere else - straight line.

You'll be drawing stick men in no time with the handy 'circle' tool for the head.

I can't help you with the painting of actual awesome I'm afraid - have you tried 3D?  No drawing required.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Three I've done - not in PoE style though - just 3D-renders.  If anyone's good at paintovers they can give it a go to PoE-ize them.

These are too large for the game (420x660 vs. 210x330 needed for game) and no small versions (got both available, just not uploading them all into the forum yet - if I do a few more, and after the game's out so I can see how to zip them up properly, I might do a mini-portrait pack.

post-54186-0-32831600-1427107669_thumb.jpg

post-54186-0-42652700-1427107673_thumb.jpg

post-54186-0-44820000-1427107685_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

How do I load a custom portrait into a game? Also if I want to make a custom portrait what dimensions\format it should be?

There's a thread about it:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66894-how-to-make-custom-portraits/

Portraits can be of larger size than 210x330, 76x96 but they need to maintain same aspect ratio to be shown correctly in the game.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

I collected a bunch of custom portraits early on just cause I like option but now that I'm set playing an Orlan I'm stuck with whatever portraits the game comes with since there really aren't any suitable alternatives out there, and from what I've seen none of them really light my fire. They're not bad by any means, they're all quite good, but none of them stick out to me as my character. 

FHUSO01_L.png

Chandra Nalaar <3  

I have been looking at mtg portraits specifically to find some portraits for the unique races of PoE. I look and post them here.

Need more love for Pale Elves. Have neither as much lore nor as many portraits available as the other races . How racist! :p

(made by my humble self)

Cool portraits 8)

Maybe I missed it, but what are the sizes needed for the portraits?

I made a lot of these for BG so I'd like to try to make some for this game.

Large: 210x330

Small: 76x96

Need more love for Pale Elves. Have neither as much lore nor as many portraits available as the other races . How racist! :p

(made by my humble self)

Cool portraits 8)

Thanks.  Any particular format needed or would just JPG work?

Lovin my Elven Mage cosplaying as Kael'Thas Sunstrider

tumblr_m0e4zx7UfG1qbt7zto1_1280.jpg

or this

warlock_concept_by_firstkeeper-d72bdgl.j

Really any flashy mage portrait is great for me. My trick is to google a popular alternative to the class you want (ergo fighter - warrior) and then just put "art" or "fanart" right after it. Get dome pretty awesome stuff.

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1

(made by my humble self)

Cool portraits 8)

Thanks.  Any particular format needed or would just JPG work?

jpg is fine, png also works, I think bmp is also ok, possibly others

Somewhat annoyed that there aren't any hi-res versions of the portraits Justin Sweet made for Icewind Dale II. I usually use this image (in conjunction with the HOW1 Female voice set) when playing the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games:

63e6ea0d2dbac3824b8315dae389f9e9.jpg

Have half a mind to break out the oils and do my best to "wing it" for my personal use.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling