Possible to role play a more 'rogue-ish' Paladin?

Hey guys,

So my plan for my main character is to create and role play a more 'rogue-ish' and unlawful type Paladin. One who doesn't really follow the rules of his order, is a bit of a smart-ass and basically uses his position as a Paladin for his benefit. But is all together a good person who is willing to help the people if they really need it.

Is this kind of Paladin possible in this game? The reason I ask is that in IWD2 for example if you played a Paladin you were very restricted when it came to quest rewards and general conversations for fellow NPCs (always needed to be extremely lawful and just). Similar type of thing in the BG games when it came to reputation and so on.

Also, would the best Paladin order for the one I'm going for be the Darcozzi?

Thanks guys, so amazingly pumped for this game and this is also my first post in these forums! Good to be here.

Short answer: Yes, that's possible.

Long answer: There are many different orders, one the Dracozzi Paladini actually rewards you for being a smart-ass. Paladins aren't the lawful good champions you might be used to.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

So my plan for my main character is to create and role play a more 'rogue-ish' and unlawful type Paladin. One who doesn't really follow the rules of his order, is a bit of a smart-ass and basically uses his position as a Paladin for his benefit. But is all together a good person who is willing to help the people if they really need it.

Is this kind of Paladin possible in this game? The reason I ask is that in IWD2 for example if you played a Paladin you were very restricted when it came to quest rewards and general conversations for fellow NPCs (always needed to be extremely lawful and just). Similar type of thing in the BG games when it came to reputation and so on.

Also, would the best Paladin order for the one I'm going for be the Darcozzi?

Thanks guys, so amazingly pumped for this game and this is also my first post in these forums! Good to be here.

Sounds like your best bet is to just be a member of the Darcozzi Paladini and play it straight. They are, by all appearances, a bunch of vaguely Errol Flynn-like dynastic men-at-arms so being a witty, exuberant personality just goes with the territory for them.

Bleak walker suggests a blackguardish paladin (corrode flame, aoe fear on kill)

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Bleak Walkers are basically General Sherman: Paladin Edition. They aren't necessarily like Eeevil, they're just brutal, because they believe that's more efficient in the long run.

If you want a fun, snide, self-interested paladin, maybe Darcozzis or Goldpact Knights? 

Each Order has certain types of conduct that it favors and certain types it disfavors; you get bonuses or penalties appropriately . http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Paladin

On the other hand if it's not favored or disfavored you can do it as much as you want. A Goldpact Knight can be as Benevolent or as Cruel as he wants and it doesn't matter either way for his Paladin stats. For a Kind Wayfarer it's different.

If you want to play against the rules of your paladin order, as opposed to taking an order that rewards smart ass behaviour, you can take the paladin talent Untroubled Faith which gets rid of the negative effects from acting in a way that your order doesn't endorse.

• Like 1