Paladin vs Priest vs Chanter

I got a problem with my party composition

It's as follows:

Fighter(tank)

Chanter(tank\support)

Rogue(ranged dps)

Cipher(ranged dps)

Wizard (ranged aoe dps)

Chanter has an awesome lvl 2 chant which doubles reload speed but it only work in relatively short distance so my ranged dps characters don't get this bonus when he's tanking, furthermore he's not that great tank as I have to invest talents in his healing ability.

So I'm thinking what to do with this problem, so far I have following idea:

1)Switch Chanter to ranged dps\support

2a)Replace Priest with Paladin tank or make Priest a tank (is it even possible :D?)

Playing without a priest might be problematic, but current situation is bad and I don't think priest would make a good tank.

Any ideas?

Edited by Myrten

Priests are bad tanks, their optimal position in the formation is the second row of attack with a reach weapon.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Something to also note.

If your chanter is tanking, then why would he be using the archery chant, as opposed to something that debuffs his foes or buffs up his own defenses? The chanter can add +10 to all defenses except deflection, heal everyone near him (like the other melee units being hit too), and can cause the enemies to do less damage, be interrupted more easily, become terrified...

And there are also the level 3 chants, like the flaming weapons chant. 

The chanter has great value even without Ila Nocked.

Paladins are good, but really passive. With a fighter and a paladin, you'd be looking at a very boring front line. Which could be fine, most people don't like to play tanks anyways, but it's worth mentioning.

Priests are the best of the worst suited for the front line. Mid-range with a pike or q-staff, sure. But not front line.

Something to also note.

If your chanter is tanking, then why would he be using the archery chant, as opposed to something that debuffs his foes or buffs up his own defenses? The chanter can add +10 to all defenses except deflection, heal everyone near him (like the other melee units being hit too), and can cause the enemies to do less damage, be interrupted more easily, become terrified...

And there are also the level 3 chants, like the flaming weapons chant. 

The chanter has great value even without Ila Nocked.

Paladins are good, but really passive. With a fighter and a paladin, you'd be looking at a very boring front line. Which could be fine, most people don't like to play tanks anyways, but it's worth mentioning.

Priests are the best of the worst suited for the front line. Mid-range with a pike or q-staff, sure. But not front line.

My party is heavily gunpowder based so 100% increase in reload speed means huge increase in DPS

Solution: Put your ranged characters a bit closer to the chanter. Give the Chanter a High Intellect

Problem solved.

I've tried that in beta and its not very reliable, besides there is a problem of chanter being not that great tank.