This is true - the guys at Steam go home around the same time as most of us and they help us make the game live. :) 9 AM is a typical time for them (also so that a lot of our core customers will all be able to play at the same time!)

Ahem. Most of your 'core customers' are actually in Europe, so we are looking at 4 - 5pm GMT / GMT +1.

Completely factual and not made up on the spot in any way.

Edited by Gauge

This is true - the guys at Steam go home around the same time as most of us and they help us make the game live. :) 9 AM is a typical time for them (also so that a lot of our core customers will all be able to play at the same time!)

Ahem. Most of your 'core customers' are actually in Europe, so we are looking at 4 - 5pm GMT / GMT +1.

Completely factual and not made up on the spot in any way.

There was a survey a while back. Over fifty per cent of backers were from Yurp.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't appreciate this release method either. It sure beats the bonehead method of giving Europe digital releases 2 days after America which are still the norm for some publishers though. But I would like a midnight local time release schedule to actually be implemented for digital games sometime in the future.

They have no control over the release time....9AM PST is standard protocol of the retailers unfortunately. How significant was that over 50% edge? If it's like 51 or 52% then I'm not sure the edge is really worth mentioning....you also have to account for the fact it's probably not representative of their backer base anyway because only a small fraction completed the survey.....unless Kickstarter collected that info about all their backers and handed it to obsidian or something crazy like that.

1zq6793.jpg

Over fifty percent of forum posters were from Europe, assuming we're thinking of the same thing.

If we're talking forum posters the number is too ridiculously low to matter for anything......it would be a bloody miracle if it even reached 1k votes and there are tens of thousands of backers.....

1zq6793.jpg

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that a lot or even a majority of backers may be located outside the US - in fact I can easily believe that - but if was a forum survey, forum posters doesn't necessarily = all backers?

..also, looks like I'm actually too sleepy tonight for the stay-up option. Decision made for me. ;) I'll probably install the game a few hours later than release time. Which is fine/no biggie. At least I'll be rested vs. bleary from being up all night.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't believe we have evidence to say either way if the backers on the forum are reasonably representative of the backers as a whole.  But we certainly need to be aware of self-selection bias here, yes.  Which is much more likely to be a problem than the numbers involved.

I swear it was something related to backers, not just forum posters. I thought there was a map. Germany owned it. Sorry. I tried searching for it, but failed because it's 2am and I only have a seven-pack left and the game unlocks in seven hours at which time they'll all be gone and I'll have to go the store with no sleep but I can't because the game will be on.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I swear it was something related to backers, not just forum posters. I thought there was a map. Germany owned it. Sorry. I tried searching for it, but failed because it's 2am and I only have a seven-pack left and the game unlocks in seven hours at which time they'll all be gone and I'll have to go the store with no sleep but I can't because the game will be on.  

And the award for Run-On Sentence Of The Week goes to:

• Like 1

I don't know why people are surprised by this. Pillars of Eternity is a pc-game after all and Germany is pretty much the PC-Stronghold in the world, with a lot more pcgamers than console gamers.

Maybe it wasn't a survey so much as information culled from the backer lists, that Obs posted at some point, or something like that?

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In my opinion nothing is worse than waiting for a game to release at midnight just so that you can get maybe half an hour of playtime in before you go to bed (this is assuming that the release works perfectly).

For most of us I think it won't matter whether the game releases at midnight, 9am or 5pm (like it does in Central Europe). Most people will play in the evening anyways.

This is true - the guys at Steam go home around the same time as most of us and they help us make the game live. original.gif 9 AM is a typical time for them (also so that a lot of our core customers will all be able to play at the same time!)

If you look his post bit more, you notice that he didn't claim that their core customers are in California or even USA, but that 9 AM release for them means that all their core customers are able to play same time and as 9 am PST means that it is late afternoon (4-5pm) or early evening (6-7 pm) in Europe and late morning early afternoon in USA, which means that people from those areas are probably able to play the game same time and as it is weekday, European timetable is probably best suiting for most of the people as it is just after workday ends for most of the people. Australians and Asian this timetable is quite ill suiting (where it is middle of night)

• Like 1

Should try being a Formula One fan on the west coast of USA. 0430 hours race start is a challenge even for the best coffees in the world. 

There used to be a cool cafe in Newport that would open and serve breakfast while broadcasting the race. It closed. What are we talking about again. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Should try being a Formula One fan on the west coast of USA. 0430 hours race start is a challenge even for the best coffees in the world. 

There used to be a cool cafe in Newport that would open and serve breakfast while broadcasting the race. It closed. What are we talking about again. 

Oh I know that feeling.....Europe absolutely has an enormous advantage over North America in F1's racing hours......that far more than compensates for what they have to wait on a few games....we're talking about pulling insane hours for some 19 races a year vs europeans being delayed a bit for less than a handful of games a year they await at release.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I'm so psyched about getting to play PoE that these last few hours of waiting is far worse than the cumulative time since the kickstarter campaign.

I'm a bit dissapointed that I will have to wait until 17:00 CET but I can understand that they want everyone to get access to the game at the same time and whining about it seems somewhat silly.

I have high hopes for this game and there is one thing that is guaranteed for me:

Tonight there will be no sleep.

You changed your sleep schedule for a video game?

*A* video game? Kinda understating things, don't you think? That's like saying "this Lamborghini is just a car".

Pillars of Eternity is a little more than that. It warrants whatever schedule change comes in conflict with it. And sleep is the easiest schedule to change anyway.

Work schedules, on the other hand, are a little more tricky. But they're one of those things that is up to the individual to gauge. I personally, did not have too much trouble asking my boss for a day off, today. Wasn't able to get tomorrow off, but that's no biggie. I'm quite OK with playing the game for 12 hours today, then taking a 8-10 hour break from it tomorrow to work, because after that is the weekend! 2 1/2 whole days to play PoE!

Edited by Stun

You changed your sleep schedule for a video game?

*A* video game? Kinda understating things, don't you think? That's like saying "this Lamborghini is just a car".

Pillars of Eternity is a little more than that. It warrants whatever schedule change comes in conflict with it. And sleep is the easiest schedule to change anyway.

Work schedules, on the other hand, are a little more tricky. But they're one of those things that is up to the individual to gauge. I personally, did not have too much trouble asking my boss for a day off, today. Wasn't able to get tomorrow off, but that's no biggie. I'm quite OK with playing the game for 12 hours today, then taking a 8-10 hour break from it tomorrow to work, because after that is the weekend! 2 1/2 whole days to play PoE!

No, it's not an understatement.  It's just a video game. 

It'll be 1am the following morning for me :p (So I'll be blissfully asleep (mosquitoes permitting))

Turns out I'm  bad at maths and it'll be 12am instead ... 42 minutes remaining...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: