Pillars of Eternity is number one!

I hope it sends a message that companies shouldn't abandon genres because of market fluctuations.  Gamers never fully leave genres, and new ones join all the time.

The trend is for all the game companies to rush towards the same pieces of the pie.

I hope it sends a far better message:

DRM is worthless.....a DRM free game owns all the big name AAA games that are obsessed with DRM.....and nobody is pirating it. The message that treating customers with respect is far more guaranteed to deliver success than by punishing and restricting their paying customers and basically telling them that if they want to be able to truly enjoy a game they might as well just pirate it instead of paying for it because DRM will never cease to harass them.

I'm hoping this forces Steam to change their policies on DRM to never tolerate it again and for them to start emulating GOG.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I love GOG but at its peak today, Steam had almost 9 million people logged in. GOG wishes it had that many people come to its site in a day.

Steam is still the #1 platform to buy games. So yes, it is more significant that Steam is #1...

Now that we are done with that trivial crap, This news is so awesome. 

I love GOG but at its peak today, Steam had almost 9 million people logged in. GOG wishes it had that many people come to its site in a day.

Steam is still the #1 platform to buy games. So yes, it is more significant that Steam is #1...

How do you know GOG doesn't get that many people a day? I think a lot of people underestimate just how many gamers have permanently said "no more, never again" to any and all forms of DRM.

1zq6793.jpg

How do you know GOG doesn't get that many people a day? I think a lot of people underestimate just how many gamers have permanently said "no more, never again" to any and all forms of DRM.

Because that would be reported on ASAP.  There is a reason GOG is making Galaxy so they can properly compete.

Steam has been #1 for a long time. It would be huge news if GOG dethroned it.

Yet it isn't even making a dent among the hardcoer peecee crowd.

jDDH7JP.png

Gamefaqs is not a hardcore PC site.

GameFaqs is the console equivalent to the Steam Community Forums. In other words, avoid at all costs cuz there be trolls everywhere.

Calibrating...

jDDH7JP.png

GameFaqs is the console equivalent to the Steam Community Forums. In other words, avoid at all costs cuz there be trolls everywhere.

I agree that Gamefaqs is console focused but the mood there, IMO, is more friendly than Steam forums.  There are still a lot of trolls but man the Steam forum for PoE is ridiculous.  Literally every other thread is someone trolling about price, SP only, no romances, graphics, Obsidian's reputation (which is great), etc.

• Like 1

jDDH7JP.png

I agree that Gamefaqs is console focused but the mood there, IMO, is more friendly than Steam forums. There are still a lot of trolls but man the Steam forum for PoE is ridiculous. Literally every other thread is someone trolling about price, SP only, no romances, graphics, Obsidian's reputation (which is great), etc.
The best forum to discuss this game with intelligent, like-minded people, and has moderation is right here, the Obsidian Forums. I'm ignoring Reddit and NeoGaf because more uninformed people and they are too lazy to come over here and participate where the real meaty discussions are. Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 2

Calibrating...

What the hell is Gamefags?

Anyway, congratulations Obsidian, you've done it. Hope this is just the beginning of a great many years of enjoyable and true RPGs, not this crappy crop of 8-button brainless action games that people call RPGs just because it has two dialogue lines and you can upgrade your weapon.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 2

What the hell is Gamefags?

The site people used for years and years for information on their games. These days hint/let's play/walkthrough videos have taken a lot away from the site but for a long time it was the site to go to for game walkthroughs. Lots of dedicated people did their best to find all the little details in games and write comprehensive guides for them. Hell it's still probably the best place for things like Infinity Engine game guides, the Baldur's Gate 2 etc. FAQ's are ridicously comprehensive.

Couldn't find a better version of this awesome song.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Interesting, I redeemed my key on GOG, it's in my library, but it doesn't show up as owned on sales lists.

It's probably because you own the special kickstarter hero/royal/champion edition, not the regular one.

Witcher 2 has been one of the biggest sellers in GOG's history and GOG's version had cheapest price (shared with other stores) of all the legitimate stores and it had most additional goods and it was created and published by their sister company and still Steam managed to sell 5 times more copies. Of course GOG has grown from those days and maybe with Witcher 3 we will finally see Steam to lose little bit of its dominance of PC market.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-release-witcher-2-sales-stats-steam-dominates-all-competitors-combined/

"Direct2Drive, Impulse and Gamersgate's combined sales combined hit only 10,000 sales of CD Projekt's RPG, whereas GOG managed to shift a cool 40,000 copies.

Then there's Steam. Valve's digital distribution service managed to shift 200,000 copies in the same time period."

I wonder how many sales are actually happening to make something go #1? Like what kind of numbers are we talking per minute? 

I've been impressed when such relatively niche titles as Valkyria Chronicles hit #1 for even a day or two.

It depends on day. D:OS was about month Steam best seller and sold 500k copies on that period producing about $22 million (~$0.73M/d) worth of revenue (which is factor that Steam uses to sort their best seller list). But some times they have games that sell over million copies during one week, which usually means that their daily revenue is much bigger than what D:OS for example had.

i was wondering though, could it be number one because steam counts the redeemed backer codes as sales?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i was wondering though, could it be number one because steam counts the redeemed backer codes as sales?

Steam only counts revenue from Steam store itself when they sort their best selling list, so redeemed backer codes don't influence it.