Pillars of Eternity is number one!

Can't we just celebrate the fact that Pillars of Eternity is doing so well and not turn this thread into yet another Steam vs Gog thread?   There seems to be way too much of this going on at the moment. Support the companies you like by all means but there is no need to turn every thread into a pissing contest.  Each to their own.

The game is selling awesome - congrats Obsidian, go out and party, you've earned it.

• Like 14

Pretty sure steam just lists the game in its list... not all 3 skews.  GoG lists all 3 skews.  So, steam just takes all 3 skews, lumps them together, and shows 1 game place on its most popular list.  

Exactly....so if Steam separated the editions would any of them still occupy the #1 spot? Doubtful. This way GOG is able to establish its dominance by demonstrating that not just one but all three versions individually have sold enough to own the competition.....even the $90 Royal Edition is selling enough on GOG to own all which is beyond insanely impressive. I doubt Steam can make the same claim.

1zq6793.jpg

They already have a day 1 patch made, and honestly--Stick of Truth was actually fairly bug-free. I have high hopes for PoE.

One of the early-streamer first-impression gaming-news sites (can't remember which, maybe RPS?) said the game is "surprisingly bug-free" or some such.

On another note, I'm sure it would be nice for the folks as OBS if the day comes when reviewers don't refer to one of their games' lack of bugs as "surprising"

• Like 2

Well I'm surprised there a lot of dorks with expendable incomes. $45 dollars is quite a lot.

Not for people who have jobs and like video games.

Why are you even here?

Hasn't anyone told you... Anywhere something good is going on .. Trolls like him exist.  No matter the genre of game I have played online in almost the last 18 yrs. His type will be there  :p 

So you know this is a good thing.. Without the haters where would we be??

• Like 1

Numéro un !

I am delighted, as it is the type of game that I like the most. 

But also I really see this as a testimony of how amazing the BG series has been. People are nostalgic, and they want more. And even though I have a few qualms about combat and mechanics, I am really happy I bought this game. Some studios need to realise that content NEEDS to come before design. I care very little about vast 3D open-worlds when all they are is an empty shell.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that at this point Steam means nothing compared to this:

I mean, to be a negative Nancy, what else would be at the top on GOG right now?

Any of the exclusively on GOG first time digital releases by Disney(from big name franchises like Star Wars) or Witcher 3 preorders or Starpoint Gemini 2(now 50% off) or any of the other multitude of amazing newly released titles. Along with crowdfunding there has also been a major DRM-free revolution so business has been picking up over there big time.

1zq6793.jpg

B-but they are mostly... Old games. They don't sell nearly as much as new games, that's a fact! Also #5 is NEO scavenger, not what I'd call a top seller by any stretch of imagination. Let's just say that the steam numbers are more representative of the real video game market on PC.

• Like 2

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

It's already great that early buzz says the game is critically phenomenal, but that it's sitting at #1 is even more awesome beyond belief, showing that such games do have a market and can be financially successful. There has, hitherto, been nothing quite like the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape Torment in, well, over a decade. From this phenomenon, I hope other publishers learn that

1) An immersive, single-player RPG with lots of writing can be successful

2) DRM doesn't do jack squat.

Man do I hope the expansion will be huge, and that the success of PoE 1 will result in the eventual production of an even more grand PoE 2.

• Like 2

I'm a hardcore PC'er and I can't say I use gamefaqs or IGN or whatever that screenshot is from... *shrug*

Hardcore PC gamers should know better...

EDIT: Also noticed with a friend the game on Steam is not listed amongst 'owned games' if looking in their library, so...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'm a hardcore PC'er and I can't say I use gamefaqs or IGN or whatever that screenshot is from... *shrug*

Hardcore PC gamers should know better...

EDIT: Also noticed with a friend the game on Steam is not listed amongst 'owned games' if looking in their library, so...

That's exactly what I thought. I'm a PC player for almost 25 years now and these pages mean nothing to me.

I've personally convinced a few old fogies to buy it since they happened to be completely unaware of the resurrection of the cRPG. Millions bought the games back in the day. There are plenty of fans out there who are clueless about Pillars.

I think the sales bump is mostly the fault of the Paradox Plan, however. (Giving streamers access) .

Giant Bomb just had a Quick Look, and that probably pushed it over the edge. Second wind will be when reviews hit! Many sites seem to be using their Infinity Engine Game fans as reviewers, so the outlook looks good.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that at this point Steam means nothing compared to this:

I'd say that steam #1 is worth the first 5-10 positions of GOG, numerically speaking. The exposure they get on steam is on a whole other level.

Totally off topic but I just wanted to thank and congratulate you for not saying "a whole nother"

Yet it isn't even making a dent among the hardcoer peecee crowd.

jDDH7JP.png

I'm not entirely clear. Is the fact that there is little overlap between the type of gamer who wants to discuss the games on that list and the type of gamer who wants to discuss Pillars of Eternity meant to be a bad thing? 

I will say one good thing about Steam though: it shows exactly the enormous extent to which Pillars Of Eternity owns every other game....especially GTAV which is straight up being humiliated right now. I mean if a PC gamer wants GTAV he/she has no choice but to get it on Steam.....now realize that PoE owns the hell out of it on Steam and Steam isn't even the primary source of sales for PoE.....and PoE hasn't even been released yet!! That's the kind of straight up mopping the floor with the competition that I was hoping PoE would do.....here's hoping they continue to own the hell out of the competition permanently.....at least until Torment: Tides of Numenera launches.....I don't think anyone or anything can stop it from claiming the top spot globally when it releases.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I hope it sends a message that companies shouldn't abandon genres because of market fluctuations.  Gamers never fully leave genres, and new ones join all the time.

The trend is for all the game companies to rush towards the same pieces of the pie.

• Like 2