PLEASE let's use the correct game terminologies!

Maybe I'm being too obssesive/compulsive, but too many people are mixing up game-related terms, or using them wrong or inconsistently. Too many times I've been confused about what someone was talking about. So figured I'd make this post so that we can all be on one page and be able to communicate clearer through the forum.

GAME NAME

Some people still refer to this game as "Project Eternity". That was the old name of the game when the kickstarter launched. New people  (like me) know this game only by "Pillars of Eternity". When I first came to the forum and I saw people talking about "Project Eternity", I was like "What the heck are they talking about?". Anyway no reason to use that anymore. When talking about the game, call it "PILLARS OF ETERNITY" because that is the official name

GAME ABBREVIATION

Please, don't abbreviate the game as "POE". I play Path of Exile a lot and that's what POE refers to usually. Sometimes I'm like "Why are people talking about Path of Exile in the Pillars of Eternity forums??

Just call the game by it's full name, "Pillars of Eternity". Or maybe use just "Pillars" or "Eternity" for short.

GUIDES

There is the strategy guide, guidebook, and game manual. Be sure to refer to the correct one when talking about something you read there. The guidebook covers lore, strategy guide covers strategy, and manual covers game instructions. I saw a post about someone who read in the Guidebook that a spider's perception is 12. But the Guidebook does not list creature stats, only the strategy guide does. So if you talk about something you read in one of those books, be sure to use the correct name so I can look up stuff I'm interested in

WIKIS

From reading the forums I've seen two big Wikis - The OFFICIAL one at Gamepedia and the UNOFFICIAL one at Orcz.

The Gamepedia one is the official wiki endorsed by Obsidian, while the Orcz one is an unofficial wiki maintained just by the players. If you say you read something on the "Wiki", I'll assume you meant the Gamepedia one and look it up there. For the Orcz wiki, either refer to it by name, or say "Unofficial Wiki" or "Community Wiki" or "Player Wiki". Again, If I want to look up interesting stuff people say they found, so I want to be sure I am on the right site.

SPELLS & ABILITIES

People are refering to everything as a spell. Remember, Wizards and Priests have "Spells", while Ciphers have "Powers", chanters have "Chants", and other classes have "Abilities". If you talk about spell mechanics and you are actually referring to a warrior ability then its confusing. Not everything is a spell!

SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES

Might, Constitution, Intellect, Perception, Dexterity and Resolve are ATTRIBUTES.

Lore, Mechanics, Survival, Athletics, and Stealth are SKILLS

Dont get the two mixed up!

COMPANIONS

We have "Companions" who join your party. We also have "Animal Companions" that accompany the ranger. And we have "Pets" that are not Animal Companions but are more for vanity.

Thanks for making these forums a better place!

Edited by Beodmar
  • Like 2

Well, the guide for PoE does a pretty good job of laying out Project Eternity's game mechanics. For example, things like different Chanter spells and clarifying how the Mechanics attribute works with a character with a high DEX skill. Check the wiki for more info. Not sure why it's so confusing... :biggrin:

• Like 28

I just love Project Eternity aka POE and the strategies in the guidebook are amazingly helpful. I dont even need the official wiki at  Orcz anymore to cast the correct spells with my cipher who has now an incredible amount of might skill thanks to my pet companion.

• Like 14

You forgot the most important thing: The plural of "godlike" should be "godlike," not "godlikes."

That is all, u_u

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

uhm...

okie dokie.

has been a few years o' following project eternity for Gromnir and we is feeling great anticipation that we will finally be playing poe tomorrow.  that being said,  we doubt we take sagaskrimsha (or whatever is her name is) as a joinable npc, 'cause we don't particular like ranger pets.  we only read the poe wikis for amusement 'cause they is dated and filled with inaccuracies, even more inaccuracies as is contained in the official poe guide/manual. 

enjoy the game.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 9

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm going to call it PoE. It's a perfectly normal abbreviation to a game; I'd never heard of Path of Exiles before, so to me PoE is the normal and natural shorthand for Pillars of Eternity. I'm sorry of it confuses you, but that's how it is.

• Like 10

I sometimes find the PoE thing confusing too, since I've followed (and occasionally played) Path of Exile for maybe 4 years now. But they don't have a monopoly on the abbreviation. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm just going to call it "Pillars". I play Path of Exile as well so to me thats PoE.

I've taken a long break from PoE, though. It is boring to me and going in a direction that I do not like. I may pick it up again when they release their new act. 

I'm going to call it PoE.

In all seriousness, so will I. It's the Pillars of Eternity board after all, so I don't see why one would be confused for long about what PoE stands for in the vast majority of posts on these boards.

• Like 2

Lol, Path of Exile... psssh... it's lucky it's got the same abbrevation as Project Eternity.

I'm not going to change my ways to fit some action-RPG on Obsidian's own forums, thank you very much...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I sometimes find the PoE thing confusing too, since I've followed (and occasionally played) Path of Exile for maybe 4 years now. But they don't have a monopoly on the abbreviation. ;)

no offense, but if you can't figure out which poe is referenced from the context o' the post, particularly posts on the poe section o' the obsidian message boards, we suspect you have... problems.  just saying.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

no offense, but if you can't figure out which poe is referenced from the context o' the post, particularly posts on the poe section o' the obsidian message boards, we suspect you have... problems.  just saying.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh Grom, I luvs you so.

...of course it's not hard to tell which is which in context, but it can still cause that microsecond of weirdness, like any other time one sees abbreviations that mean one thing to you but are obviously meaning something else to others.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For me the association is instantly to Pillars of Eternity. Like I said, I'd never heard of Path of Exile before--when I see somebody say PoE meaning that game, I'm confused because I think "Pillars of Eternity" whenever I see PoE.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh Grom, I luvs you so.

...of course it's not hard to tell which is which in context, but it can still cause that microsecond of weirdness, like any other time one sees abbreviations that mean one thing to you but are obviously meaning something else to others.

oh sure, that happens all the time to Gromnir.  we play in a softball league and whenever somebody mentions the NSA (national softball association) in the context o' our softball league affiliations, we always get bumfuzzled. 

wait, no we don't.

HA! Good Fun!

Nah, you don't get to tell people how to abbreviate or use terminology, sorry.

But I'm definitely looking forward to playing PoE, or Project Eternity. I'm going to make a Cipher because their spells look fun, was going to go Ranger but the pets don't look that great.

• Like 5

@Boedmar: Don't freak out man. As someone who never bothered to play Path of Exile, I'll use PoE for this game as much as I feel like. As someone who's been playing DnD since '92, I'm also likely to mix up similar terms from DnD when discussing the Pillars of Eternity attributes/skills just due to simple muscle memory and long standing use. I DM Pathfinder, and use those terms daily. You may need to grab a stick to bite down on when browsing the forums or something for the next month. Cheers. 

Edited by Magrusaod

Maybe I'm being too obssesive/compulsive, but too many people are mixing up game-related terms, or using them wrong or inconsistently. Too many times I've been confused about what someone was talking about. So figured I'd make this post so that we can all be on one page and be able to communicate clearer through the forum.

GAME NAME

Some people still refer to this game as "Project Eternity". That was the old name of the game when the kickstarter launched. New people  (like me) know this game only by "Pillars of Eternity". When I first came to the forum and I saw people talking about "Project Eternity", I was like "What the heck are they talking about?". Anyway no reason to use that anymore. When talking about the game, call it "PILLARS OF ETERNITY" because that is the official name

GAME ABBREVIATION

Please, don't abbreviate the game as "POE". I play Path of Exile a lot and that's what POE refers to usually. Sometimes I'm like "Why are people talking about Path of Exile in the Pillars of Eternity forums??

Just call the game by it's full name, "Pillars of Eternity". Or maybe use just "Pillars" or "Eternity" for short.

GUIDES

There is the strategy guide, guidebook, and game manual. Be sure to refer to the correct one when talking about something you read there. The guidebook covers lore, strategy guide covers strategy, and manual covers game instructions. I saw a post about someone who read in the Guidebook that a spider's perception is 12. But the Guidebook does not list creature stats, only the strategy guide does. So if you talk about something you read in one of those books, be sure to use the correct name so I can look up stuff I'm interested in

WIKIS

From reading the forums I've seen two big Wikis - The OFFICIAL one at Gamepedia and the UNOFFICIAL one at Orcz.

The Gamepedia one is the official wiki endorsed by Obsidian, while the Orcz one is an unofficial wiki maintained just by the players. If you say you read something on the "Wiki", I'll assume you meant the Gamepedia one and look it up there. For the Orcz wiki, either refer to it by name, or say "Unofficial Wiki" or "Community Wiki" or "Player Wiki". Again, If I want to look up interesting stuff people say they found, so I want to be sure I am on the right site.

SPELLS & ABILITIES

People are refering to everything as a spell. Remember, Wizards and Priests have "Spells", while Ciphers have "Powers", chanters have "Chants", and other classes have "Abilities". If you talk about spell mechanics and you are actually referring to a warrior ability then its confusing. Not everything is a spell!

SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES

Might, Constitution, Intellect, Perception, Dexterity and Resolve are ATTRIBUTES.

Lore, Mechanics, Survival, Athletics, and Stealth are SKILLS

Dont get the two mixed up!

COMPANIONS

We have "Companions" who join your party. We also have "Animal Companions" that accompany the ranger. And we have "Pets" that are not Animal Companions but are more for vanity.

Thanks for making these forums a better place!

No.

• Like 6

I remember the times WC3 was Wing Commander 3, not WarCraft 3...

oh sure, that happens all the time to Gromnir. we play in a softball league and whenever somebody mentions the NSA (national softball association) in the context o' our softball league affiliations, we always get bumfuzzled.

wait, no we don't.

HA! Good Fun!

Confirmed proof Gromnir is spying on all of us... playing PoE (Project Eternity) before us using government codes (provided by Paradox?)

It's a conspiracy I tell you! *Dusts off Deus Ex*

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee