Why do people play divinity: original sin?

mrmonocle

I really liked Divine Divinity, the soundtrack was great and I still remember fondly that existential skeleton. Now the only thing I remember from Dragon Knight was stupid looking armor on ladies - something like full plate on top, thong on bottom, complete impression was that the poor woman forgot to put her pants on before leaving home (Hiravias would have approved, though).

Anyway. I do appreciate games that do not take themselves too seriously and I wanted to try D:OS but I found camera movement so annoying I quit after half an hour. Maybe there is a mod for that? 

• Like 1

I didn't get it. Was he being sarcastic or something?

To Be Fair, You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Rick and Morty.

LOL!

I've never seen a Rick & Morty in my life and now I really don't want to! :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Then we have Divinity 2: Dragon Knight saga is another underrated gem that people seemed to hate because it's difficulty. The combat was fair but people complained about it, the same people who play real-time and pause games (yep, that says it all).

The combat in DK really wasn't fair.

It was entirely at the mercy of your character level which is still a problem in Original Sin games.

But other than that Original sin games have been terrific.

It's a little strange seeing Larian as the best hope for crowd-funded RPGs but here we are.

I tried to get into it a few times, i forced myself to like it. But in the end i found D:OS repellent in almost every aspect. the combat is tedious, the graphics hurt the eyesight, the story - a cliche.

So, what makes u play it?

Mostly the fact that it lets me douse people in oil then set them on fire.

Well ,do you know of any other game that lets you control two hot redheaded girls as your protagonists?

Oh, right, it also allows me some semblance of respectability while arguing with myself.

All of this and more..

I actually love the Magic spell system . Setting water...then turning it into ice ? Its awesome . 

The story may not be to the taste for everyone , but it doesn't mean the game suck . I for one enjoyed both games and hoping for more . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I found the story really not that bad, as long as you "explore" it. What I mean is, that the narrative works as one big detective quest: you want to find out who you are, what star stones are and you slowly unravel all the mysteries around. Your reward are smal pieces of the big plot.

The story doesn't work, when it wants to implement drama. The big bad and her drama with

Zandalor and Leandra

has nothing to do with the main-characters and the theme of their backstory (failing), so making it more important in the Enhanced Edition was a mistake. The other additions to the game are welcome tough and if the story would have otherwised stayed the same, it would have been a good narrative, that was carried by it's systems. Right now, it's okay.

But why do I play it? I like the combat (and think they did it better in the second game), but I get the most fun with D:OS 1, when I just can wander around and do silly things (like carrying twenty oil barrels with you around until the final fight). I like that you can win it, even if you kill almost everyone. It rewards thinking different. And I like the system between the two main-chars.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the interactivity and sheer amount of possibilities in Original Sin combat, but eventually stopped playing due to 1) pacing issues, which caused me to lose motivation since I have other things I could be doing in my spare time 2) The fact they can't decide whether they should take their own plot seriously or not. The light narrative involving finding out who you, the star stones and the other things was a perfect fit for a not-too-serious game like OS. When the drama came in with the big bad, the inability to implement it properly showed in the writing and they didn't even manage to make it seem serious with all the humor in it. 3) the humor. It's fun, but it gets very old after a while. Can't be Serious Mcgrumpypants all the time, but can they at least take their main story a bit more seriously?

It's a great game for people who don't mind that stuff, and probably the greatest turn-based combat since forever, but it isn't for me. If they make a game with similar combat, but a more serious story, I'd be hooked for sure.

I played a good chunk of D:OS with my friend in coop and had one of the best coop experiences ever. Then I started and beat separate solo playthrough and found it fairly dull.

Started D:OS2 solo, found it painfully tedious, boring and never finished it. I feel, though, I would enjoy playing it in coop a lot.

For me it’s a coop RPG. Lots of different mechanics in place, to allow players to interact with each other. Playing solo though, not very engaging.

As much as I liked D:OS1, D:OS2 is a mess, even if it gets glaring reviews. Their balance focus for MP ruined it entirely for the 100H SP campaign.

0% or 100% CC? It's terrible.

Armor system making full physical best, full magic second and the regular RPG party of mixed the worst? Terrible.

Story? Terrible.

Round Robin combat rounding? Terrible.

I really have no idea what went wrong with Larian there, or why so many people like it when the combat system is 100% ruined with that horrid armor system added onto it :/

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It's really not surprising that D:OS2 was even more co-op focused than the first. When they looked at the statistics most people played the first game with other players.

I don't think it's a bad approach,it really isn't that different from playing Magicka or Gauntlet in that sense which were also made for co-op in mind. Sure we could finish these games solo but what's the point?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 9 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 8:56 AM, HoonDing said:

" I really have no idea what went wrong with Larian there "

Hubris.

Hubris doesn't exactly lead to making bad design decisions while trying to fix a balancing issue that was prevalent throughout a previous game. That's more of a lack of foresight, especially when people who played the beta didn't have a problem with the armor system, and thus never aired any grievances during the testing process... Until the insane stat bloat later in the game ratcheted it from a 10 to 100 problem real quick.

Now, if you want to see hubris, the disjointed writing of POE2 (especially in regards to god interactions) is pretty high up there. Granted, a lot of that was because a lot of writing was cut out in an effort to make the game less wordy, but one could argue that assuming enough was left in for everyone to connect the dots also qualifies.

Edited by Saito Hikari

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2015 at 11:24 PM, mrmonocle said:

I tried to get into it a few times, i forced myself to like it. But in the end i found D:OS repellent in almost every aspect. the combat is tedious, the graphics hurt the eyesight, the story - a cliche.

they dont take themselves too seriously and that is a pleasant change in the genre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2015 at 6:24 PM, mrmonocle said:

I am with you.  Never understood the love for Divinity games.  I think some people just like games that require environmental intuition to get through, whilst ignoring the bad aspects.

To each their own.

why I play D:OS (more the second, though)

graphic are amazing - not everyone loves black and white asthetics

the story is funny in entertaining approach

combat - it got better once you learn how to take advantage of enviroment and further you go

thing is with this two games - I really dig graphic

Funny thing about this thread, it got twice bumped by dummy ad accounts 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2015 at 11:24 PM, mrmonocle said:

i have observed funny phenomenon that bad games will appeal good if youre new to gaming overall.

• 2 months later...

Currently playing DOS1. 

Does anybody know the Maths behind combat resolutions?

The tool-tip suggests for instance that the DR from armor scales with enemy level. How exactly is nowhere displayed in-game, except that for enemies of your Level, x% of damage would be absorbed.
Same as how saving throws against spell / ability effects are calculated.
To-Hit-Chances.
Anything.

There's a combat log, but it doesn't go into very much detail. 

Edited by Sven_

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 3:04 AM, ComradeMaster said:

It seemed cool and hip to play it at the time but now it literally has nothing going for it as times have changed.

Does that apply for the sequel as well?

If anyone cares here is my lengthy list of grievances with D:OS2. It was pre-BG3 playthrough, so I didn't even touch coop/singleplayer design and just focused on my experience with D:OS2 as a singleplayer game. It's meh.

I wish Obsidian were still independant, and Larian would hire Obsidian to make a campaign in their engine. There is a lot to play with there. 

I enjoy the fact that magic spells are strong, melee and ranged skills are fantastic, the elemental combos are glorious, the build a class feature is amazing, the story paths you can choose for DOS 2 are ****ing amazing whether you bring dragons back into the world, become lord of the dwarves with a powerful navy, rebuild a nation of cannibalistic hippies, or work with your former allies in becoming a god while reuniting with your daughter. It also helps that DOS 2 is written by Chris Avellone so you can always expect quality from his work.  I also love not having to worry about good abilities being nerfed into the ground like Obsidian did with PoE2.

Edited by Haljamar
needed to remove some things
  • Hmmm 1