Why do people play divinity: original sin?

mrmonocle

For what I played of it; I didn't really enjoy it. Then again, I played it single player. I hear it's more fun multi-player.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Why do people play Divinity: Original Sin?

Because it's fun. shrugnz9.gif

The game has some pacing problems and the writing could be better, but... it's a fun game nonetheless. 

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Disregarding my own advice: I liked it, even though I am rather bad at the combat (and currently stuck somewhere early in because I ran out of things to kill and I gave up getting past the bossfight I need to get past) and I consider quite a few of the mechanics to be clunky. Then again, I'm Flemish, like Larian, so I guess tongue-in-cheek humour, sarcasm, cynicism and black humour are right up my alley...

I've enjoyed it, but I lost interest after a while. I'll give it another try later on. The humor seems a little bit dorky, but it's okay.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I could make a thread saying the same thing concerning nearly all Kickstarter games. I just don't see the appeal. However, atleast, as some have said, the environment isn't dark fantasy crap, but bright, light hearted fantasy crap. That's one plus.

This thread is like when you and bunch of your friends are watching the Champions League Final and someone has to ask, with a voice of Seinfield, "Hey guys, what the deal with Football?!"

Do you know any turn based RPGs where you can insult a troll for failing to guard his broken bridge properly? No? Exactly.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Several reasons:

- I like the world of Divinity, i find the setting very interesting and have so far played every game in the series.
- Larian is a great studio, they often have problems when launching a game but work hard to fix those. Without publisher pressure and a strict deadline the managed to mostly avoid these problems.
- I found the idea of 2 main characters appealing and it worked great.
- I like Larians humor in their games.
- Tactical turn based combat system that includes the environment and it worked great.
- The immersion in the game worked very well for me, the art, npcs, dialogues, story (while not that great) and what a fantastic soundtrack!

I really enjoyed the game ;)

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I could make a thread saying the same thing concerning nearly all Kickstarter games. I just don't see the appeal. However, atleast, as some have said, the environment isn't dark fantasy crap, but bright, light hearted fantasy crap. That's one plus.

Meant to say dark medieval fantasy crap, nothing wrong with dark fantasy, hell, I want more of it, just not in the medieval setting. I really can't play any more games in those environments.

I tried to get into it a few times, i forced myself to like it. But in the end i found D:OS repellent in almost every aspect. the combat is tedious, the graphics hurt the eyesight, the story - a cliche.

So, what makes u play it?

I'd actually feel like answering if your posts were not indicative that this is just another "let me tell you why I'm better than you" thread.

I've only played a few hours so far due to lack of time for a game at the moment, but so far it looks better than almost everything else I've played single player RPG wise in the last 10+ years.

That said. OP, you suck, as does anyone else that ever start a thread in such a manner. The Obs forum community lets immature loser trolls start and control conversations all too often...

this kind of personal assault warrants a report.

Personal assault for saying your thread is unconstructive.

Reporting to the mods because you didn't like his post.

Okay.

Edited by Bryy

I don't understand why people like escargot.

This post is genius, and sums up the OP and most of this whole thread.

OP just doesn't like it, which is fair enough, but they will never get a satisfying answer out of this thread, they just don't like its play style etc.

I personally loved D:OS, one of the best games I've played, certainly in recent years.

It's like trying to ask me why I like spicey food so much, I can give you all sorts of answers, but that wont make you magically start liking spicey food :p

For me it's clearly influenced by the old Ultima games, as arguably all Larian games have been, and thus features such as environmental interaction and a more living, reactive world are prioritised rather than simply the usual conversation and combat in corridors.

The immensely fun and innovative turn based combat only adds to this.

The art design i'm in two minds over, yes it is colourful and timeless in its stylisation, but honestly I preferred the original Divine Divinity's palette and design.

The continental humour I can tolerate, it's not exactly Wilde, but at least it's not the usual sub par Joss Whedon squeeing that dominates a lot of other games.

The character creations sheer scope and choice is something I very much enjoyed.

Narrative and plot wise, yes it's not Obsidian but it's eminently solid and fit for purpose.

All together I enjoyed my time with Original Sin, i'd probably Kickstart again and I may return for another playthrough at some point.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

• 3 years later...

I tried D:OS and its enhanced edition, but I gave up after a few hours. The humor, writing, graphics, combat (I really dislike that magic system), I can't seem to get to like it.

Weapons and equipment are boring, the crafting ... - why the f. does every game has to have crafting nowadays? 

I can craft 1x stupid arrow by combining 5 different things, or I just don't do it and find tons of them anyways in some random barrels.

I recently gave DOS2 another try. According to Gamestar, this game got an awesome 93% review. Even though, I lost interest pretty soon again, for pretty much the same reasons.

That's why I don't play Divinty: OS

• Like 2

I'm wading through D:OS EE right now myself. It is very difficult for me to find the motivation to finish the game, but I am a completionist who has a hard time quitting something I've started, so I guess I will eventually finish it.

The story is trite and silly. Don't care for the "humor". The very limited number of companion options and having two protagonists means you are pretty much locked into one "best" party composition. Many of the spells and abilities are useless/underwhelming, which means they can easily be divided into black-and-white "must-have" versus "don't need" categories, resulting in fixed "best" character builds. Laughable that oil/water/poison barrels are always so very conveniently located including in places where they have no logical reason to be there. Crafting system is a pain. Food items are both far too many and usually useless because of their very short duration. Combat is a mind-numbing chore.

• Like 1

Essentially, Larian has always had the unrelenting attitude of "Hey Rpg fans, we're making computer role-playing games how we want. If you don't like that, f*** you!"... And it shows in their work. Most people can't seem to comprehend that they purposely made their story a joke, salted with humor, dry sometimes even breaking the fourth wall. And their response to romances in the first game was unnaturally perfect for reason. Great stuff, I give Larian major kudos for what they've done in the Original Sin series. The quality puns and jabs of other games makes the game even more relevant to play if you're an Rpg lover.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Essentially, Larian has always had the unrelenting attitude of "Hey Rpg fans, we're making computer role-playing games how we want. If you don't like that, f*** you!"... And it shows in their work. Most people can't seem to comprehend that they purposely made their story a joke, salted with humor, dry sometimes even breaking the fourth wall. And their response to romances in the first game was unnaturally perfect for reason. Great stuff, I give Larian major kudos for what they've done in the Original Sin series. The quality puns and jabs of other games makes the game even more relevant to play if you're an Rpg lover.

I consider their style of writing to be endemic of weak writing more than anything, and I say this liking the sort of writing you might get in Conker, the early Ratchet games, or even the irreverence of something like TF2, Portal or Borderlands. Any sort of "**** you" or unsubstantiated jabbing that is far to based on subjectivity just stokes a negative ego. Let a games design speak for itself.

D:OS is good for several reasons.

1. Combat is free-form, reactive, and engaging.
  2. Adventuring and exploration is well provided for.
  3. It doesn't take itself seriously.

The combat is interesting. Sure, it can become an elemental soup--but it doesn't have to. Even when it is, the chaos is sublime. This game gives the player lots of options. What you do with them is your choice. The adventuring is great. In that the game doesn't take itself very seriously, it presents many interesting and varied circumstances, puzzles, and quests that keep the actual game play fresh. Throw in Larian's cherished commitment to player agency, and we've got quests that can be solved many different ways. Even if by breaking them, should you choose. The world is wonderfully detailed and reactive to those choices as well. Maybe not always in terms of plot, but certain in terms of ripping off that merchant, or breaking into homes.

While the writing may be weak, and the silly humor becomes weary, the lack of seriousness creates an atmosphere where Larian is totally concerned with FUN. The game is as much about shenanigans as anything else. If Larian called it an adventure game instead of an RPG, most every criticism would fall mute. You get some wacky situations with wacky solutions from game play mechanics than can sometimes be...wacky! There is lots to do, multiple ways, and the vast majority of it is fun. You know, that thing entertainment used to be, before it became a substitution for reality.

If you're not having fun with D:OS, it's because you're looking for something other than fun.

• Like 1

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Divinity: Original Sin. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classical computer role-playing games most of the jokes will go over a typical player's head. There's also both protagonists' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into their characterisation- their dialogue options draw heavily from the rich history of fourth wall breaking jokes in CRPG history such as the concept of CHIM, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Divinity: Original Sin truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the main antagonist of the story, which itself is a cryptic reference to the Neverending Story. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Larian's genius wit unfolds itself on their monitors. What fools.. how I pity them.  :grin: 

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Divinity: Original Sin tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid  8)

• Like 7

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Divinity: Original Sin. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classical computer role-playing games most of the jokes will go over a typical player's head. There's also both protagonists' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into their characterisation- their dialogue options draw heavily from the rich history of fourth wall breaking jokes in CRPG history such as the concept of CHIM, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Divinity: Original Sin truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the main antagonist of the story, which itself is a cryptic reference to the Neverending Story. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Larian's genius wit unfolds itself on their monitors. What fools.. how I pity them. :grin:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Divinity: Original Sin tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 8)

I'm curious if anyone here is old enough to remember or know the history of Larian's past games which gives some clear insight to why their games are going the way they are now.

Divine Divinity was essentially a Diablo- clone (Yes, it was). People who played it obviously got the same feels of the classic action rpg and called Larian out for it, even if it did some things better than Diablo and Diablo 2.

Then we have Divinity 2: Dragon Knight saga is another underrated gem that people seemed to hate because it's difficulty. The combat was fair but people complained about it, the same people who play real-time and pause games (yep, that says it all).

I don't think pc gamers realized that Divinity 2 Dragon Knight saga was originally intended as a turn-based game but publishers as well as Microsoft and Sony said Larian had to change it to draw a more diverse crowd. They were right but I understand Larian being crushed by this.

Fast forward some years, and we are back to tactivity, the biggest complaint that we hear about Divinity: Original Sin is that the story seems like it's written by kids, personally, I don't think that the story is any worse written than any other crpg out there but it's important to keep in mind the developer response for moral choice between 2 main characters in an over the top comical story and how agreements and disagreements affect how it plays out.

Now if we're looking at all the things we can do in Baldur's Gate II and Divinity: Original Sin and compare them, Baldur's Gate II will seem pale in comparison, regardless of what kind of player you are. There's some logic behind this, Divinity: Original Sin isn't meant to be the stereotypical Crpg, it doesn't follow the normal trend and stuff like: Making 2 cats fall in love instead of your character falling for an npc probably doesn't sit well with some.

And I don't agree that the comedy is subtle, I mean, maybe you own the game and you have a tattoo but I would recommend watching interview/development diary videos to understand what they were aiming for with Divinity: Original Sin, also, I'd recommend playing Divinity II: Dragon Knoght saga so you may better understand the humor in which semi-dark overbeaing Larian is known for. I don't think it takes a high IQ to understand the humor, it's even easy for children to understand but it does take a certain type to appreciate it and it takes someone who knows and understands Larian as a developer to know the depth of the humor they attempt to convey.

Even the mechanics are meant to funny, take a look at the stealth gameplay. It's essentially Metal Gear Solid-type of comical buy simple mechanic. As snake hides in a box, you can hide in a barrel and move freely within in the world. That's just an example.

In the end, as an rpg fanatic, it was easy for me to see why both Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 are doing so well in sales. They're fun Crpg's and there's something in there for everyone. The combat is like a fine mixture of Final Fantasy and Baldurs Gate for the first game, the second game does something with combat that no other rpg has really done and that's applying physics and comtrasting elemental balances/inbalances as well as inpending variables and environmental matter within combat standards. To put it simply, it makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 the most strategically demanding Crpg out there, you have to be aware of your environment at all times.

Let's talk about the horrible dialouge. Yes, it's cringey at times but it's meant to be. Is it not? It's just one of those things that's either up your alley, or it isn't but in terms of voice acting, both Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 have far better voice acting than Pillars Of Erernity. And I wouldn't say the story is particularly bad, it's certainly unique and nothing like the typical fantasy adventure.

This dialogue makes more sense when playing in co-op (If anyone doesn't agree or don't know what I'm talking about, I'd encourage them to play co-op with someone). The extension of the disagreement and reputation system gives you a mixture of that Fallout Nee Vegas feel but with an actul D&D tabletop setting gives you, it's really just another thing that the Original Sin series offer that no other Crpg can. Divinity: Original Sin's multiplayer experience is so polished, overwhelmingly so, this is what I originally wanted from Infinity Engine games back when I was a wee lad with dial-up connection on a 56k modem and it wasn't wrong to expect such a thing, developers just weren't able to do this type of quality multiplayer then.

Now Larian's biggest fault is their marketing and that they don't have quite the trusted reputation that Obsidian has. Still, Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 did better in crowdfunding, GoG/Steam sales and console sales. How? Perhaps they just got lucky... (twice?)

Again, it's surely not everyone's cup of tea. Personally I liked it but I've always enjoyed Larian's work and I thought it was a perfect game to compliment Pillars Of Eternity, since Pillars Of Eternity is pretty much the opposite in nearly every respect as a Crpg. I'm curious to see what they do next though. Hoping it's a new IP which does even more crazy stuff.

In terms of freedom, Divinity Original Sin series offers what other Crpg's cannot and that's probably due to the "We'll do things our way instead of staying safe" mentality. It's good to be diverse and versatile.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

It had positive reviews and I liked the previous Larian games.

Currently, trying to complete a playthrough of DOSII and justify my negative review ("One must beat the game to have a valid opinion about it"). The thing is that DOSII is, firstly, multiplayer-focused, secondly, meant to be cheesed (from meta-gaming and save-scumming to "barrelmancy"). I guess, I will regret the time wasted, but I can't refund it, so warning the other potential players seems reasonable.

Just in case, it's my personal opinion, not the Ultimate Truth.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Divinity: Original Sin. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classical computer role-playing games most of the jokes will go over a typical player's head. There's also both protagonists' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into their characterisation- their dialogue options draw heavily from the rich history of fourth wall breaking jokes in CRPG history such as the concept of CHIM, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Divinity: Original Sin truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the main antagonist of the story, which itself is a cryptic reference to the Neverending Story. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Larian's genius wit unfolds itself on their monitors. What fools.. how I pity them.  :grin: 

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Divinity: Original Sin tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid  8)

3p66kf.jpg

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If player agency is a big part of Larian's approach, then the D:OS games fail badly there as well. A good 80% of my player agency is having the freedom to develop both my PC and my companions in a range of different ways while still retaining their value and effectiveness within the game. These games don't provide for that, and I'd rather have that than lots of interactions with the world (especially when the world reactivity is often fourth-wall-breaking).

• Like 2

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Divinity: Original Sin. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classical computer role-playing games most of the jokes will go over a typical player's head. There's also both protagonists' nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into their characterisation- their dialogue options draw heavily from the rich history of fourth wall breaking jokes in CRPG history such as the concept of CHIM, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Divinity: Original Sin truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in the main antagonist of the story, which itself is a cryptic reference to the Neverending Story. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Larian's genius wit unfolds itself on their monitors. What fools.. how I pity them.  :grin: And yes, by the way, i DO have a Divinity: Original Sin tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid  8)
3p66kf.jpg

I didn't get it. Was he being sarcastic or something?