It's far from perfect - watching some preview streams it's clear some of the dog-piling / confusing combat decisions haven't been eradicated. A lot of people are going to *hate* the XP system. The game mechanics are counter-intuitive to the point of contrariness... PoE is going to be a curate's egg of a game that some people will love and some people will hate. I still think it will be solid enough to do extremely well, but despite (and not because of) some of the mechanics.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I tend to ignore metacritic and most of the other mainstream review sites. I have found a handful of reviewers that have very similar tastes as mine when it comes to games and I go more by what they think. After all, writing a review is just one persons opinion and their tastes in games might be completely different than yours so what they may think is gold, you might think is a turd and vise-versa. Plus meta critic user reviews and scores is full of trolls that will just give a game a score of 1 just to be a hipster troll while others will give a score of 10 because they are thee ultimate fanboys. Then you have the whole scandal about review sites being paid off for decent scores by the major publisher/developers and the game makers that don't pony of the money get their game scored lower. So yeeeaaahhh again I have a few people's opinions that over time I have found are very similar to mine and those reviews/thoughts are the ones I put way more stock in. Pillars of Eternity is not a wait and see what scores are coming out for me to purchase or play day one though... I have been waiting for a game like this for a decade or more so this go around the only opinion or thoughts I care about are mine this time. Going into the game with my fan boy nostalgia glasses on... I completely expect me to love the game. I'm sure there will be some things I do not like, but ill get over them I'm sure because of again.... The dream of playing a new game in the old school format of some of the games I loved playing growing up will help me overlook the faults.

Too many times I've seen the mainstream gaming coverage sites give glowing scores to completely repetitive boring games while crapping all over titles I thought were rather solid for reasons I just cannot understand other than by what must be some sort of under the table payoff to review a game well to help a major company boost the sales of mediocre games, completely glossing over and barely mentioning the major problems of those games while focusing on the couple things they did right and issuing a 9-9.5 out of 10 which is just mind blowing. Then yeah you can't go by the majority of the user scores with trolls giving 0 and 1s with fanboys giving 10s.

On topic I'm expecting Pillars of Eternity to be around an 8.5 with a solid change to raise my opinion to a 9 or 9.5, but if it launches with to terrible game breaking bugs or mechanics that just don't work well it could slip to a 7 to 7.5. Here's to hoping my starting estimate is low and my opinion bumps up into the 9.0+ range. I am going into Pillars of Eternity with high expectations, but not the knock it out of the park best game I have ever played. I'm saving those expectations for the next Pillars game (rumors of a sequel have been brewing) or the next project if its another isometric CRPG. I see Pillars as the team getting back into the genre and having to find their groove again. Once PoE is complete with its expansions, the next project they will be back used to working with this engine (and hopefully a move to Unity 5) and style of game and have all the data about what they liked, what the fans liked, what decisions and game mechanics they could change or make better and with the experience from the first game fresh in their mind development on the next game should be smoother and they should know how to get even more out of the engine.

So I really really pray PoE does extremely well so we can get a Pillars of Eternity 2 or a new IP set in our favorite old school CRPG style because I completely feel if the team works on the development as long as they worked on PoE, with their knowledge, experiences and the feedback from PoE about what worked great and what things could have been done differently will enable them to make an absolutely incredible title. Or maybe we actually will get lucky and PoE will pretty much be perfect and not many changes would need to be made. Fingers crossed for that being what happens here with today's release. Wow it feels weird and great to say "TODAY'S RELEASE!!!!!"

Edited by Zazzaro
  • Like 1

some asses will give some crappy reasoning

"It's an Obsidian game. 0/100"

"Skyrim is better! 0/100"

"It's not D&D!!! 0/100"

"System requirements too high for what it offers. It doesn't run in my Windows 95!!! 0/100"

There be humans...

More on topic, users 85, press 89.

• Like 1

People are adding user reviews on Metacritic already...

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Yep and the rating is 61 based on 31 ratings...

There are no critic scores up at all yet.....those are user score or more to the point troll scores as the haters are always the first to rush and bash something in an attempt to bomb it's ratings. All user sores so far are not even based on the release version and the critical launch patch so they might as well all be deleted for all it matters.

1zq6793.jpg

Yep and the rating is 61 based on 31 ratings...

Exactly what I just posted above about why I don't pay attention at all to those types of sites... I bet you without looking one of those negative reviews said something ignorant about the look of the graphics and scores it a 0 or 1 out of 10. You just cannot trust most of the mainstream gaming websites or metacritic and you are much better off finding an reviewer or two that have very similar gaming interests like your own and will be writing the truth about how they feel about a given game and then list solid reasons why they reached those conclusions.

My supposed review from one of the user reviews on metacritic that most likely was in a playpen when all those classic CRPGs were coming out back in the 90s without even having to look.... "This game is pure trash, the graphics look like this game could run on my fathers 486 toaster i used to play minesweeper on. There are no waypoints so i was wandering around lost and the combat is just stupid and way too hard as I wiped on the very first encounter.... 1 out of 10." Metacritic is boring and not really worth your time other than a quick glance that you take with a grain of salt.

Edited by Zazzaro

Guys, the game isn't out yet. They're just trolls(Quite a few from RPGCodex) posting negative user reviews for no reason. Don't take them seriously.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Metacritic is unfortunately filled with trolls and haters that will spam unrealistic 0 votes without even bothering to try the game, so I wouldn't expect anything above 85 for the public score.

Edited by Emerwyn

They're just trolls(Quite a few from RPGCodex) 

You mean the guys from the forum that raised 10K for the game and are interested in it's success even if it ends up bad because they want to see more RPGs in that style?

Sounds about right

Edited by Miquel93

Problem is, you can't counter 1's with 10's, since the average of that is 5, and the game deserves probably a 9.X score. You could counter it if you could vote a 18 or something like that. 

It would work out if there were ten "10"s for each "1" though.

Myself I prefer to not try to counter anything. If you ignore the average user score and scroll through a few of the reviews on metacritic you tend to get a pretty good idea of the quality of a game anyways.

You mean the guys from the forum that raised 10K for the game and are interested in it's success even if it ends up bad because they want to see more RPGs in that style?

Sounds about right

More than enough people on that forum who are emotionally invested in the failure of PoE.

[slap Aloth]

Sounds about right

No community is free of trolls.....just because quite a few are from RPG codex doesn't mean they represent the intent and attitude of RPG codex....that's like judging this community as a whole based on the actions of a few trolls...

1zq6793.jpg

Sounds about right

More than enough people on that forum who are emotionally invested in the failure of PoE.

Emotional engagment... from the Codex? That's kinda funny :p

Dude, if there's a "community" (as a whole) that is interested in the success of both PoE and Obsidian outside this forum, it's the Codex, so... please.