Professional reviewers anymore...I just tend to ignore them and listen to word of mouth from other players, and Steam. If something is "overwhelmingly positive" or "Very positive" that is usually a very good sign that gamers can unanimously agree the game is worth playing, and it hasn't steered me wrong.

However anymore, when I see a game I want to play, I just buy it and play it, I don't rely on reviews anymore. 

I'm guessing Pillars of Eternity will score in the 80's on a Metacritic type scale. True cRPG fans and review sites will praise it and the big journalist sites will knock it down for not being flashy enough or a "AAA" type of game.

It shouldn't deter any of us from enjoying it.

Trolls giving it **** scores because "GRAPHIS SUXXOR!" and "JUST BG CLONE!" will drag it down to 85-90ish.

Unfortunately I think you'll see more kids or trolls tying it to a Diablo clone. Those who remember or played BG likely will not undervalue the return to a BG-style game, while those who never heard of or played BG tend to relate this type of game to action games like Diablo.

le sigh.

Cuz the point-and-click interface, right? Yeah, I can see that. I have spotted a few "Just a BG clone" posts on the Steam forums, so that's where I pulled that from.

Yep.

2014 was the "Hail to RPG" year for major review sites. While most of the RPGs that released in 2014 were simply mediocre to the days of past, the mere fact that RPGs were coming back into the scene prompted them immediate press and higher scores because there was less marketable comparisons to go against.

Now that we're starting to see the tail end of the new generation of RPGs we may see harsher criticism from major critics in order to keep their "points per click" up on their sites via controversy (read: Kotaku).  keep in mind this game and Witcher3 were both slated for 2014 release and substantially added to the "Year of RPG."

I want to see this game get rave reviews separate from the D:OS fame, but I believe it will be compared to it because of the recency in people's memories and the fact is the two games are so far from similar that it's almost laughable to do so. HOWEVER the companies that get $$$ to review can only review assuming their readers are idiots and either were not alive during old isometric games or didn't play them back when the gaming industry was substantially smaller. So naturally that's the market they'll target with these reviews.

I predict a higher user review than company. And that just goes to show that reviews are BS anyway.

Unless they forgot to tighten up the graphics on level 3 in which case I'm guessing about an 87

They never do. 

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Paradox hired a professional mock review for the game. They gave us a score prediction +/- three points. In a few weeks I will share what they gave us and we can see how close it came.

I'd be more interested in how the mock review is conceived and realized than the actual metacritic. :)

• Like 1

I've been pretty critical of the game over the course of development but I think it will beat the Fallout: New Vegas score. I'm not sure if I'd put money on a 90+ but it's not off the cards.

I think it's safe to say that this has been Obsidian's most hyped game ever, and that it will also be the best scoring, considering both "professional" and user reviews.

That said:

Don't listen to reviews, make up your own mind. Most "professional" reviewers really have no clue, and even if they do, they might not be focused on the CRPG genre.

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

North of 85 pretty sure, 86-88 could easily be foreseeable, it'd be pretty ambitious for it to break 90 on its budget, but who knows.  I'm sure there will be some token 90+ scores from certain publications.  

I find it quite perplexing how so many people are reading reviews, previews and opinions on the game just to find confirmation for their own stances.

Enjoy the game yourself. Whatever number different people with different opinions will give the game should not impact your enjoyment of the game, and if people proposing a different opinion are "asses" then maybe you should not be reading opinion pieces, which reviews inherently are.

It's not so much that as that I think posters around here want people who aren't hardcore CRPG geeks to read lots of good reviews, then go buy the game. The more copies it sells, the more likely we'll have more CRPGs like it in the future. 

Of course, there's also the natural human instinct to respond to criticism of something you really, really like as if it were a personal insult, as well as the more modern internet backlash whenever some guy gives a less than stellar score to a game or movie everyone is gushing over and thereby knocks down its Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes/whatever else score. Not rational, sure, but damn if it doesn't seem to be a very human thing to do. 

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi
  • Like 2

I find it quite perplexing how so many people are reading reviews, previews and opinions on the game just to find confirmation for their own stances.

Enjoy the game yourself. Whatever number different people with different opinions will give the game should not impact your enjoyment of the game, and if people proposing a different opinion are "asses" then maybe you should not be reading opinion pieces, which reviews inherently are.

It's not so much that as that I think posters around here want people who aren't hardcore CRPG nerds to read lots of good reviews, then go buy the game. The more copies it sells, the more likely we'll have more CRPGs like it in the future. 

That's...pretty much exactly it. I want PoE to sell like mad and be crazy popular--not so I can be all hipster about being into PoE, but so Obsidian makes a ton of bank and we get more games like PoE from both Obsidian and other game companies.

I suspect that (for similar reasons) it'll score about the same as Divinity: Original Sin: 87% critical review, 8.7 user review, which should be enough to get folks attention and make it qualify for some RPG of the year awards etc... which will help long-term sales.

Agreed. +1

sonsofgygax.JPG