Need more information. I've been one of the only advocates for the ranger, so I might be able to help you out.

What's your planned role for the ranger?

Basically DPS...(hope there is no Fallen Ranger possible in PoE).

I usually play a mage type or a ranged type, but I cannot figure out a ranged build with the descriptions,

If ranged, you need to keep this in mind:

Your pet is the window through which all your DPS will come from. If your pet dies, that window is shut, and your ranger is worthless in a DPS role.

Might, Int, and Dex will be very valuable, the other stats less so.

As a ranged ranger, marked prey or wounding shot depends on if you want to focus on the pet or the ranger. Focusing on the pet? Wounding shot. Wounding shot opens up hobble (allowing sneak attacks, which the pet can access) as well as applies a DoT (there is a pet talent that improves it's damage by 1.5x vs targets suffering from a DoT). Marked prey would lead to higher damage by the end of the fight, though, for a ranger specializing in personally dealing damage.

Vicious Aim/Swift Aim depend on weapon choice. Swift Aim's description mentions reload speed and melee attack speed, so it's unclear if it works with bows, but it would be a huge boon to take with guns and crossbows. Vicious Aim would take more advantage of Marked Prey, and works with any ranged weapon.

Stalker's Link is almost a must-have, as it provides +20 accuracy so long as ranger and pet are targeting the same unit. No other ability gained at level 5 is close to as valuable.

Due to +20 accuracy, bloody slaughter is a fantastic talent to take, since you will be critting frequently. You would likely also want to take the ranger ability that lets their ranged shots bounce, but I forget the name of the ability.

As far as pet choice goes, it doesn't matter a huge amount. Bear is a pretty solid choice for a ranged ranger, since they're a little more durable.

The main thing about making a successful ranger is that you cannot risk your pet. Your pet will most likely die quickly if it is engaged by two creatures, even if it is a bear. If your pet dies, you lose 20 accuracy. If you rely on Stalker's Link, then you're actually down 40 accuracy. It's a massive penalty and you will run into it from time to time. A stone beetle or two will burrow past, target your bear, and kill it. Sucks, but it happens.

Rangers are decent DPS, but when being used at range they require a lot more micromanagement than other ranged classes. For example, a ranged rogue does more damage and is easier to manage. However, they do have more utility through the fact that they have a pet, which is what no one else has. So, it's a toss up on what is better and is based on play style.

• Like 5

Just because I'm a broken record, but...

Rangers also make surprisingly good tanks. Might be rough to get started as a main tank, but it is very doable.

Rangers and Fighters are the only ones capable of having 4 engagement slots (pets have 2, ranger can get 2 with Hold the Line), and their defelection can easily reach 100 which is significantly high. Unlike other tanks, though, they can actually deal respectable damage compared to any other tanking class. I did a potd run with a tank ranger, and while the other tanks (both using 2H weapons) did more damage, it was only about 400-600 more.

I know the trope for rangers is someone with a bow, but they work really well with a sword and shield too. 

If you're looking for DPS and archery,  you may also consider a rogue.

Not hard to build one that is very Ranger-like.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Thanks for the read and useful info Sock!

I'm also leaning toward ranger for my first hero, ranged build preferably, always loved the class from classic D&D RPG's (i remember Kivan from BG 1 being my first introduction to the class archetype way back in the day) even though i see that Rangers from PoE are very much different.

That being said, i saw several opinions on how Ranger as a class is in need of some attention (buffs) and how they are inferior to some other classes at the moment, is this true, or does this apply to ranged builds only?

Also, considering that this is my first post here,my greetings to fellow RPG and PoE fans on these forums.:)

They provide less DPS than a rogue but are sturdier. However, as a ranged unit the sturdiness isn't as valuable.

They provide more ranged-only buffs than any other class, but every other class has comparable abilities that work at both range and melee.

Their pet is deceptively fragile, and if it goes down the ranger's DPS plummets. Since pets have to be in melee, this is a problem that's difficult to adjust to.

Rangers have a palpable lack of specialization, so even though a rogue may provide more DPS, a ranger is far sturdier. Even though the fighter is a better tank, the ranger can deal out way more DPS while tanking than the fighter can.

If anyone is the "jack of all trades" class when it comes to combat, it's the ranger.

As for the complaints about the class... If they want to make the ranger stronger, I won't complain, but right now the whole class hinges on a single ability: Stalkers' Link. Without it, they are absolutely very weak. With it, they are probably the best off-tank there is. However, rangers are not nearly as bad as some of the complainers would have you believe. You just seriously have to remember: the pet and the ranger are 1 unit. If the pet dies, the ranger is no longer useful for DPS. If you're using your pet to "grab aggro" for the ranger, you're not playing effectively and the ranger will suffer. Ranged rangers follow their pet's target, and the pet should target stragglers, archers, or targets already engaged. Melee rangers tank for their pets, using the pet to flank where tactically viable.

Just a thought, but, if playing a ranged ranger and your pet goes down, you'd probably be more useful to the party at that point switching to a melee weapon and going to flank whatever is still alive. That way you're providing -10 deflection and might have a chance to land a hit yourself. I've never tried that, but I know watching my damage go from 30-50 per hit/crit down to 15 for a graze cause my pet died, keeping them in range is why people think they suck. Would probably find great use out of single hand style then... hmm, I might consider trying that with Sagani on my second play through.

1H style is weak overall. It MAY be awesome with certain weapons that provide on crit effects, but that's a crutch for the style as a whole, and it's not clear yet if it would be that good when compared to someone dual wielding those on crit effect weapons.

But when a ranger's pet dies, they lose 20 accuracy (there are other penalties too, but the accuracy is the painful one). If they switch to a single melee weapon, they make up half of that accuracy penalty (+10 accuracy when single wielding, without requiring a talent), and then flank... they could completely negate that accuracy penalty.

1H style is weak overall. It MAY be awesome with certain weapons that provide on crit effects, but that's a crutch for the style as a whole, and it's not clear yet if it would be that good when compared to someone dual wielding those on crit effect weapons.

But when a ranger's pet dies, they lose 20 accuracy (there are other penalties too, but the accuracy is the painful one). If they switch to a single melee weapon, they make up half of that accuracy penalty (+10 accuracy when single wielding, without requiring a talent), and then flank... they could completely negate that accuracy penalty.

Sock, what changed concerning the mechanic about the Ranger's shared HP with its animal companion? 

Calibrating...

Sock, what changed concerning the mechanic about the Ranger's shared HP with its animal companion? 

That got jettisoned in favor of a debuff on the survivor.  Something grief, I believe. 

It is the accuracy debuff (-20!) that Sock mentions above.

Edited by Voss

Rangers work fine ranged as dps, but I have found that I don't micro manage the ranger so much as the pet. Some people don't like that. But to benefit from ranger you really have to manage the pet. It works ridiculously well with a melee rogue in the party though.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Rangers also make surprisingly good tanks. Might be rough to get started as a main tank, but it is very doable.

Rangers and Fighters are the only ones capable of having 4 engagement slots (pets have 2, ranger can get 2 with Hold the Line), and their defelection can easily reach 100 which is significantly high. Unlike other tanks, though, they can actually deal respectable damage compared to any other tanking class. I did a potd run with a tank ranger, and while the other tanks (both using 2H weapons) did more damage, it was only about 400-600 more.

I know the trope for rangers is someone with a bow, but they work really well with a sword and shield too. 

I really like the idea of a tank ranger - I've long been a big fan of melee classes with pets, much more interesting fighting alongside my wolf than hiding behind him. How would I go about building one? Attributes, talents, etc.

As long as make sure you never get hit you could feasibly max out Might and Dex for pure raw damage and faster recovery, focusing more on weapon damage+pet damage over any spells or aoe . Put the rest of your points in a spread or all into Resolve?

Single target.

very vulnerable to melee, aoe damage and mind spells. low Will and low Reflex. 

*a theory as I haven't played about with a attribute calculator*

Fairy Light Chip of Draxor FX Enchanted@4.5 static bolts

Holy graphics card of Edenwell 6000

8 Gelgaplex of rammage

100 stash squares of the heavy traveller

My plan is to max dex might per, and dump INT and resolve.   Take the lion for the added cc. keep the pet back the pet only engages someone who focuses on me or the pet and we focus fire back.  The way I see it is you must play cautious with the pet.  The build give Extreme reflex save medium fortitude saves, moderate deflections, and very low  will.  I should be able to interrupt casters frequently with max perception and high rate of fire.   

Cant wait to play tonight

I really like the idea of a tank ranger - I've long been a big fan of melee classes with pets, much more interesting fighting alongside my wolf than hiding behind him. How would I go about building one? Attributes, talents, etc.

As a warning, I don't min-max, but I have experienced great success with the following build:

16 str, 8 con, 10 dex, 15 per, 14 int, 15 res. - Ranger tanks can deal damage, so they do benefit more than most tanks from str. Not only are per/int/res skills that boost defenses, but they are also conversation skills. The low con can be tricky, but with high enough deflection and with incoming heals either from spells, chanters, or regen items, make up for it. Due to the pet and ranger combo, you're actually able to whittle down opponents quicker on your own compared to other tanks, so they can actually mitigate some of the damage they take through DPS.

Abilities: Marked Prey, Swift Aim, Predator's Sense, Stalkers' Link

- Marked Prey is a given, since the other choice at creation is wounding shot.

- Swift Aim increases melee attack speed, it is the only melee ability available at the level it is offered.

- Stalkers' Link is received at level 5.

- Predator's Sense was made for a melee ranger. This skill grants both ranger and pet +15 to fort/ref/will when they are being targeted by the same AoE.

Talents: Weapon and Shield, Bloody Slaughter, Cautious Attack, Hold the Line

- WnS: One of the only classes able to pull of sword and shield talent, due entirely to the pet which also contributes damage but enables high crit rate.

- Bloody Slaughter: Taken before you have access to Stalkers' Link, it wont have as big an impact as Cautious Attack or even Hold the Line would at this level, but since the very next level gives you Stalkers' Link... it makes that ability even more powerful. Bloody Slaughter increases crit damage multiplier by .5, and also turns 20% of all hits into crits against low endurance targets. Since this build uses a 1H weapon, it will be in more situations where they are dealing with low endurance enemies.

- Cautious Attack might have to be scrapped, unless it is intentional for Swift Aim's speed bonus to override Cautious Attack's speed penalty. Watch patch notes for this one. 

- Hold the Line is entirely optional, but it helps keep things pinned to the ranger as opposed to the pet, which is only good.

The ranger abilities are pretty limited since you only get one that is valuable for melee per level grouping, but talent selection is a little more open.

My plan is to max dex might per, and dump INT and resolve.   Take the lion for the added cc. keep the pet back the pet only engages someone who focuses on me or the pet and we focus fire back.  The way I see it is you must play cautious with the pet.  The build give Extreme reflex save medium fortitude saves, moderate deflections, and very low  will.  I should be able to interrupt casters frequently with max perception and high rate of fire.   

Cant wait to play tonight

If you think the lion adds CC by applying fear, you're mistaken. Fear is a debuff. I don't recall off the top of my head what it debuffs, but it doesn't provide any kind of CC.

Claiming the ranger is an effective tank because it and its pet can engage more opponents sort of ignores the reality that engagement is almost totally irrelevant to tanking.

Maybe rangers are effective tanks, I dunno. But engagement mechanics are not going to help them fill that role.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

• 2 weeks later...

With the change on launch to stalkers' link, it's not longer capable of turning the ranger tank into a decent DPS too.

I did end up completeing the game on hard difficulty with a ranger using a 2H weapon (thus taking an off-tank role), but my pet was dying all the time because the AI targets the weakest opponent, which will always be the pet. Still, topped the damage chart, rarely went down, and highest crit rate too.

It would likely work equally well with dual wield, possibly better.