When I backed the game on kickstarter one of the questions I asked was will first day backers get to play early and was told yes, it would seem that's not the case I think its a shame that they couldn't let the early kickstart backers play a few days early.

I don't recall that ever being said. Perhaps you're thinking of the backer beta, that was accessible at certain pledge tiers?

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No it was on the kickstart chat/comments when the devs first posted the game and were still deciding what the tear rewards etc would be, I was a first day backer  and the devs were on kickstarter a lot at the beginning, I said it would be good if backers got to play the game a few days early and one of the devs said that kickstart early backers would get the finished game before normal release, not beta just get the game early, its not a big deal its just annoying when you have waited years with false info in your head.

Lol I see ive got the fan club on my back.How can any of you seriously remember everything that was said in the chat/comments section of kickstarter from years ago seriously grow up guys, its not a big deal I was just hoping someone from OBSN may of said sorry we had planned that but lots of things got changed etc etc, I didn't ask for a bunch of guys to jump on calling me a liar and saying it never happened as if they have a crystal ball, seriously listen to yourselves.

No it was on the kickstart chat/comments when the devs first posted the game and were still deciding what the tear rewards etc would be, I was a first day backer  and the devs were on kickstarter a lot at the beginning, I said it would be good if backers got to play the game a few days early and one of the devs said that kickstart early backers would get the finished game before normal release, not beta just get the game early, its not a big deal its just annoying when you have waited years with false info in your head.

@Madpaddy the Kickstarter comments should still exist, if you're saying that Obsidian explicitly promised to let backers access the full game earlier than anyone else, go find the comments and screenshot/link them so we can see some proof. Without that there's no reason for anyone to believe it, you could easily be misremembering (no offense intended, human memory is fallable after all). I haven't heard a single other person mention this before.

• Like 2

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

you could easily be misremembering (no offense intended, human memory is fallable after all).

Or misinterpreted/misconstrued what the dev said.

Anyway, of course I don't recall every single thing every dev has said, ever. Only that I don't recall such a promise being made, myself. But if it had been a big/known promise made, I'd have expected a bigger outcry that it didn't occur. I haven't seen anything like that ... just the media-gets-to-play first debate.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lol I see ive got the fan club on my back.How can any of you seriously remember everything that was said in the chat/comments section of kickstarter from years ago seriously grow up guys, its not a big deal I was just hoping someone from OBSN may of said sorry we had planned that but lots of things got changed etc etc, I didn't ask for a bunch of guys to jump on calling me a liar and saying it never happened as if they have a crystal ball, seriously listen to yourselves.

Do you have some sort of proof of this being said? The release of the game is less then a day away, everyone will be enjoying Pillars of Eternity very soon.

No one's jumping on your back or calling you a liar. We're just saying we think you're misremembering. For what it's worth, I backed on the first day as well and followed all the comments for hours on end and I don't recall them every saying that. It's entirely possible that I'm the one that's misremembering though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks.

Come on you know you want to release it earlier *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink* *begins jedi mind trick*

I wish we could :( I very much wanted to release it yesterday for you guys, but unfortunately with how Steam and GOG work, you can only have one official release date and time. The version press folks are playing is effectively a "locked" version that behaves in a more limited manner than an official release version (e.g., friends can't see you playing it, it's patched as a separate build, etc). This would still work differently than expected after the release date and would require us to send out a second batch of keys for the "official" version which we felt was very confusing.

We definitely hear you guys though and had good intentions; we just couldn't realize them without a lot of strangeness for you. :(

I'll just put this quote here from another thread.

I think it's really sad that people are throwing hissyfits just because reviewers got early copies.  The game is a day away.  Are you really that upset that you have to wait another 24 hours?

Considering the outright ****ing lies that other companies get away with regarding PC releases (*coughBIOWAREcough*) it's really astonishing how people are jumping down Obsidian's throat for, gasp, releasing the game on release day!

PS: not directed specifically at you Madpaddy because your comment was more a case of curiosity than actual bitching

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 2

The guy is desperate for play the game, all he can do is whine hoping to force obsidian activate the game before the official time :D

I can't blame him for that, i want play it right now.

Edited by Arturo Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

I never said they promised I didnt say it was something on the main list, I just said it WAS said I'm sure lots of things changed from the first day ideas, and I have no intension of spending hours going through comments from years ago just to make YOU happy, anyway from the reception ive received I'm just glad I haven't been on this forum much because its obviously full of vicious fan guard dogs that savage newcomers who dare to upset them.I just thought someone may of remembered and said no it got changed when blah blah blah, thanks for all your friendly response's I look forward to chatting with you all again....Yeh right.

I wish we could sad.png I very much wanted to release it yesterday for you guys, but unfortunately with how Steam and GOG work, you can only have one official release date and time. The version press folks are playing is effectively a "locked" version that behaves in a more limited manner than an official release version (e.g., friends can't see you playing it, it's patched as a separate build, etc). This would still work differently than expected after the release date and would require us to send out a second batch of keys for the "official" version which we felt was very confusing.

We definitely hear you guys though and had good intentions; we just couldn't realize them without a lot of strangeness for you. sad.png

This from Brutii would suggest that maybe I was correct and the reason was steam and gog, maybe I'm not senile after all.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/obsidian/comments

In kickstarter they have only spoken about how beta would be early access instead of real beta, but as we now know that was not exactly the case.

I didn't found any comment where any of them have said anything that would give impression that Bakcers would get earlier access than people who preorder game.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

I never said they promised I didnt say it was something on the main list, I just said it WAS said I'm sure lots of things changed from the first day ideas, and I have no intension of spending hours going through comments from years ago just to make YOU happy, anyway from the reception ive received I'm just glad I haven't been on this forum much because its obviously full of vicious fan guard dogs that savage newcomers who dare to upset them.I just thought someone may of remembered and said no it got changed when blah blah blah, thanks for all your friendly response's I look forward to chatting with you all again....Yeh right.

Well, in my book, people saying "they don't recall that being said" doesn't = savaging newcomers or being upset. Certainly wasn't my intention. More like curiosity/trying to figure it out, precisely because I didn't recall such being said. :disguise:

That wasn't said imho, maybe you misunderstood beta access.

When I backed the game on kickstarter one of the questions I asked was will first day backers get to play early and was told yes, it would seem that's not the case I think its a shame that they couldn't let the early kickstart backers play a few days early.

Edited by Superdeluxe

~Seattle Supersonic of the Obsidian Order~

Chris Hansen is the Savior of Seattle

Thank you axan 22, I wonder if these guys will be as quick to say sorry as they are to call me a liar one guy has even said hes checked all 200+ comments on kickstarter, the things people will do to try to discredit someone for no reason crazy.

Then dig out the comment and show us.

Put up or shut up with your little personal drama spam....