More Bang for your buck: 2h might based fighter or 2h might based barbarian

Hey guys,

Like everyone, trying to nail down that first main character.

I know this: I want to murder dudes using a giant 2-hand great sword. I'm just wondering the most effective way how and if my choices may make the game too difficult... or which option may be considered "more fun."

So, barbarian or fighter?

I'll be creating an adventurer female rogue (always based on my IC gf :) and likely a priest to go along with the companion mage, cipher and cool looking paladin who will become the main tanker.

I figure I'll use the companion fighter at least for the first part of the game to have a solid tank option.

Thanks!

(Also, I'm guessing Might and Int no matter what?)

And to clarify...

I want the main character to focus on up-front melee damage dealing. Thematically, I've never liked the idea of a 'barbarian,' more into the (cliche) stoic knightly wanderer.... but the idea of a highly intelligent barbarian negates that a bit.

Well I know this is personal but to me a stoic knight can never be as fun as as an old fashioned barbarian hero.

As far as I have gathered you want to go barbarian for chopping up crowds and berserking and you go fighter if you prefer dealing with one target at a time, of course fighters can also be better tanks than barbs but I am guessing you are going to want to be dishing it out more then taking it from your post.

If I were you I'd probably just pick what feels good from a roleplaying perspective.

Also maybe 2h BIG sword for rogue "bigger first stab to kill for one hit" techniq?

Estoc, yes and vulnerable attack to boot.  Rogues can stack a ridiculous number of damage multipliers on a single attack,

barb is not for tanking, he's for support aoe dps.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Also maybe 2h BIG sword for rogue "bigger first stab to kill for one hit" techniq?

Estoc, yes and vulnerable attack to boot.  Rogues can stack a ridiculous number of damage multipliers on a single attack,

yeah, the naming choices obsidian used for poe classes is gonna continue to confuse folks.  the player who wants to wield a 2h sword and do serious damage is likely to be most satisfied playing a rogue or barbarian.  the barbarian does more multi-target and aoe damage, but the rogue is the clear champ doing melee weapon damage.  it is not difficult to make enemies susceptible to sneak attacks, and that sneak attack damage adds up fast.  backstabs is nice spike damage, but sneak attack is where the rogue earns his/her pay. 

changes after beta feedback has made the fighter an impressive combatant capable o' dealing impressive damage, but regardless o' weapons, the fighter should lag behind the rogue and the barbarian, and the barbarian is a distant second behind the rogue.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the rogue.

HA! Good Fun!

the rogue hits hard and deep. numbuh van!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance