Does redeeming a PoE key counts as sales and profits are shared GoG or Steam respectively?

No, because it's not a sale. Nothing was sold. The keys were already generated for all the backers.

Only the non-KS copies sold over GoG, the Obsidian Site, and Steam count as sales because money was actually given.

I wonder what's in it for GoG and Steam, though? I doubt they're distributing 70,000 odd copies for free.

Platform recognition, the same reason why Hatred gives a Steam key and Desura key.  Once you get a person on a particular distribution platform, they're more likely to buy products directly from the storefront.  In turn that generates sales for the distributor.

• Like 4

I wonder what's in it for GoG and Steam, though? I doubt they're distributing 70,000 odd copies for free.

Why not? What's the downside? People play the game on their service regardless. Valve only cares about the copies sold on Steam. Same with CDP.

• Like 1

^yeah, when I redeemed my key on gog it said "Free" - I guess they can take 30% of $0 :lol:

But as said above - they do it to get recognition and repeat custom.  You can't claim it if you don't have an account so it gets people in the door and/or is good customer service for existing customers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

And they probably expect people to buy DLC later on on that service... if it's true they want 2 X-packs, that means 1 additional X-pack if a backer didn't back it during KS.

Long-term profit assessement ;)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

When a game is on Steam the publisher/developer can get as many free keys from Valve to distrubte however they want. Valve only takes the 30% cut of sales from a game sold directly on the Steam store.

They do it because if developers/publishers sell Steam keys on other stores or give keys away it will get those people to use Steam, and generate more money for them in the future because those people will buy things from the store. Because Valve is privately owned they can think more long term like that then other companies who are publically owned and have to worry about getting highter profits each quarter to make investors happy.

I don't know about GoG but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't charge anything for keys either.